Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

Just finished the Daniel Bryan book. Good stuff, although the word limit really hurts at times, as key moments have that "WWE book lack of depth" issue, before we're moving along to the next part of his career. He's totally upfront about their shit treatment of him, which is refreshing, but with the entire book being about his "incredible journey", and then the final page that everybody has read pretty much saying the whole journey is a regret, and leaving you a blank, black page to close, does leave you with a gut-punch. And rightly so - it illustrates just how awful Bryan's situation is. He worked his whole life to get to a certain point, then his Dad dies, which just tears him up, and he continues wrestling "because I don't know what else to do", and of course, he can't do that any longer either. Its fucking awful, and probably deserves a bit more attention.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got either the Backlund book or Bill Apter's book yet?

Just finished the Bill Apter book, really enjoyed it, some cracking stories, it isn't chronological, kinda jumps about, good to be able to pick up and skip about the different chapters. Story about him having to watch Snuka at the request of Vince Sr who had to get him back to New York for a MSG show and Apter had some bother keeping Jimmy on track. I'd give it a look.

Before that I finally finished Backlund's book, the length of it was pretty intimidating at first, not having much time on my hands but it flew by, loved it.

Has anyone read Lion's Pride: The Turbulent History of New Japan Pro Wrestling?

I'm about half way through and can't recommend it enough. Part history, part beginners guide, it covers New Japan in considerable depth. It was only published last October so is right up to date too. 

It's maybe not for everyone, especially for those of you who really know your Japanese wrestling (I reckon it might cover a lot you'd already know) but as someone who's not really a massive puro aficionado it gives a lot of context to the back stories and issues surrounding matches. For me, it's  made the product far more accessible and certainly provided some youtube searching inspiration.

• Paid Members

Speaking of New Japan, the wonderful chaps at Voices of Wrestling have put together the 2015 year in review ebook. Best of all its only £200 ... Or FREE! It all depends on if you want to donate or not. Its available for anyone to download for as little or as much as you like. Its a great little thing. Like one of those old year books the PWI put out with bios of everyone and a look into what 2016 holds.

https://payhip.com/b/Y7Ru

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Speaking of New Japan, the wonderful chaps at Voices of Wrestling have put together the 2015 year in review ebook. Best of all its only £200 ... Or FREE! It all depends on if you want to donate or not. Its available for anyone to download for as little or as much as you like. Its a great little thing. Like one of those old year books the PWI put out with bios of everyone and a look into what 2016 holds.

https://payhip.com/b/Y7Ru

I donated and my bank did stop all transactions on my account and asked me to confirm my last 5 payments before freeing it up again. Next time I'll take a freebie instead.

• Paid Members

Cheers.

The author is Chris Charlton. He apparently has some in ring UK and Japanese wrestling experience. Anyone heard of him. The blurb says he wrestled for Hammerlock.

Didn't know that he wrestled but I do know him as co-host of the Japanese Audio Wrestling podcast, which is part of the same 'network' which homes Review-A-Wai. He actually lives in Japan too.

Anyone read Greg Lamberts book Holy Grail about British Wrestling? Any good?

If you were an FWA fan it's a fascinating read, full of behind the curtain insight. The first person narrative really adds to the story too.

If not, still very interesting as it was firmly, far more than 1PW, the foundation that today's vibrant scene was built upon.

Anyone read Greg Lamberts book Holy Grail about British Wrestling? Any good?

If you were an FWA fan it's a fascinating read, full of behind the curtain insight. The first person narrative really adds to the story too.

If not, still very interesting as it was firmly, far more than 1PW, the foundation that today's vibrant scene was built upon.

Cheers for that. I was a fan of the FWA and its golden era. Sounds like a good read. Only £2.99 on Google Play Read.