Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

1 hour ago, Vegeta said:

I read your post really quickly in work and thought it said written by Simon and garfunkel 🤣

Well, loads of Britwres shows regularly feature The Sound Of Silence. 

6 hours ago, Vegeta said:

I read your post really quickly in work and thought it said written by Simon and garfunkel 🤣

I believe in the revised edition (illustrations of various on the front instead of the original lone Kendo Nagasaki cover) there's an additional chapter in which Simon Garfield attends the British Wrestlers Reunion (I think) but in it he mentions one of the board of the reunion, ex-British champion Wayne Bridges, who hosted the event for years at his pub (The Bridges - natch) in Kent.

Apparently ol' Wayne didn't much like the original book (protecting Kayfabe long after its demise) and wants a word with who he refers to Garfield as 'Simon Garfunkel' 

• Paid Members
On 3/7/2024 at 7:19 PM, SuperBacon said:

Saw these two on Twitter and thought worth sharing, as they both sound really interesting. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll buy them and add to them the ever increasing unread pile. Get to them in 5 years or so.

Savage book is a weird one in that the stuff about his WWF run is the least interesting (and gets a few big picture things wrong). There's some good stuff on his family and pre-WWF career, plus some interesting bits where they talk to people you wouldn't normally hear from like his robe designer.

https://prowrestlingbooks.com/macho-man-the-untamed-unbelievable-life-of-randy-savage-by-john-finkel/

I've just finished reading the Pat Patterson autobiography, Accepted. Found in a charity shop in Bangor.

It's very candid and it was interesting reading about his experiences as a gay man in the 50s and 60s.

The book was essentially hundreds of paragraph-long anecdotes. He doesn't go into detail about anything - the Slaughter match is a couple of paragraphs at best, mentions wrestling a bear as a throwaway sentence, mentions not remembering winning the Intercontinental title or even remembering visiting Rio where if you didn't know the story the joke would make no sense.

All in all, an easy read, with some interesting stuff, but don't go out of your way to read or expect in-depth stories.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 4:43 PM, DCW said:

Becky Lynch's book any use? didn't realise WWE were still releasing books, but saw hers in a bookshop this morning.

I bought it yesterday, I'm already six chapters into it as it's an easy read and her first impression of Finn Balor is that he was a prick.