Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

34 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

I've seen listings for lots of money on eBay but don't know if they sell for that amount.

When you're searching on eBay you can select an option to only show sold items, or completed listings, or whatever they call them. That will give you a more realistic idea of what people are willing to pay.

2 hours ago, Sphinx said:

Anyone know how much Gary Hart: My Life In Wrestling can realistically fetch? I've seen listings for lots of money on eBay but don't know if they sell for that amount.

what is so special about that book that there are listing for it near £1000. I do not get it.

6 hours ago, Sheffbag said:

what woudl you say are the hardest books to track down?

purely speculation by me but I would say Under the Mat by Diana Hart, Martha Hart Owen Hart's wife sued Diana Hart over her family's portrayal in the book and the book got pulled from sale due to the lawsuit.

I have a copy in pretty mint condition and was wondering whether to sell or not. Maybe it could get more valuable over time. But I feel like I'm unlikely to read it again because I don't want to chance scuffing it (which sounds silly reading that back) so it seems a waste to hold on to.

11 hours ago, scouseman said:

what is so special about that book that there are listing for it near £1000. I do not get it.

Rarity and demand. Same with anything collectible. You can buy a CD of Sgt Pepper for a few quid but a first pressing vinyl might cost a little bit more. 

14 hours ago, Sphinx said:

Anyone know how much Gary Hart: My Life In Wrestling can realistically fetch? I've seen listings for lots of money on eBay but don't know if they sell for that amount.

I sold my copy on eBay several years ago and it went for roughly £90.  Read once and had been sat on a shelf for the best part of 15 years since.  It was never going to get read again and I had a diminishing interest in wrestling so thought I'd pass it on to someone else.

It had a lot of watchers but only two or three people actually put bids in; I think most were keeping an eye on to see how much it would sell for.  Whilst their are some sky-high listings for that book about, the amount of people willing to pay those prices are few (if any) and far between.

My copy of Hooker, the Lou Thesz autobiography (Crowbar Press version), went for £40ish a couple of months later.

6 hours ago, CL Punk said:

Has anyone read Stan Hansen's The Last Outlaw? 

Yes I've read that, it's really good, and covers a long period of time from quite a unique perspective.

I've also just read Scott Norton's book, which was a big surprise. Very well written and he comes across as a really nice guy.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Paid Members

If you'll excuse the cheap plug, my first book Kayfabe: A Mostly True History of Professional Wrestling will be out in one week's time, on Monday November 27th 2023.

It's a history of wrestling from the nineteenth century carnival cons and vaudeville shows, through the advent of television, the rise of MMA, all the way up to the present day, with specific focus on the idea of Kayfabe, and of why wrestling became the weird halfway house between sports and entertainment that is, and how Kayfabe has been reshaped and reinforced throughout its history.

It will be available to order in paperback from Amazon on 27th November.

The Kindle edition is available to pre-order right now - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CNPTQD75?ref_=pe_93986420_775043100

patrick_book copy-cropped.jpg

Edited by BomberPat