Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

• Paid Members
On 1/27/2022 at 7:35 AM, Sphinx said:

For anyone who is interested in the above book, it's on sale for a fiver at Taschen now along with a load of other books.

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/sex/all/45506/facts.exquisite_mayhem_the_spectacular_and_erotic_world_of_wrestling.htm

So. I ordered this and didn't check autofill on the order form and sent it to the same place as the last thing I ordered on Taschen. To my sister.

So now my family thinks this is my thing. Possibly correctly.

I'm blaming you for this, @Sphinx. Bastard.

10 hours ago, Chris B said:

So. I ordered this and didn't check autofill on the order form and sent it to the same place as the last thing I ordered on Taschen. To my sister.

So now my family thinks this is my thing. Possibly correctly.

I'm blaming you for this, @Sphinx. Bastard.

Remind me to tell you about the time that 16 year old me asked my mother to pop into the nearest HMV to see if they had a copy of “Barey Legal” on vhs !

Damn you Paul Heyman :(

On 1/25/2022 at 7:20 PM, Sphinx said:

Does anyone know if there are any decent wrestling coffee table books? There's a ton of great wrestling photography out there and I'd like to have some in one place in physical form.

This was a good book for photography

https://www.katinkaphotography.com/shop/

Edited by 2Xtreme_lives

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

If anyone is interested, I reviewed the new book on The British Bulldogs this week, and it's an excellent read. I'd definitely recommend picking up a copy. Review is here should anyone want to have a peruse. 

https://wrestlingsc.com/2022/04/11/dynamite-and-davey-the-explosive-lives-of-the-british-bulldogs-review/

I also interviewed the author, Steven Bell, who was very generous with his time and it was a pretty fun chat, again I thought some of you might find it interesting.

https://wrestlingsc.com/2022/04/11/exclusive-interview-steven-bell/

Apologies for the self promotion (albeit with something reasonably relevant to the topic at hand). 

• 1 month later...

I was browsing the NYT bestsellers list for ideas for what book to steal next on zlibrary and noticed that Brodus Clay now has a book out, as its #15 on the nonfiction list. He's going by the name of Tyrus and apparently he's a Fox news commentator now too. Must have been another one of Kane's learned friends in the locker room. Anyone read it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Just-Tyrus-Memoir/dp/1637580665

1 hour ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

I was lucky enough to be in the chatroom when Brodus Clay debuted. A beautiful moment, time stood still.

I was in the chat for 21-1 and Brodus popped it more. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone read Brian Gewirtz's new book yet? assume it has the potential to be decent. I also thought the same about Edge's god awful autobiography & Foley's TNA era crud book though!

Edited by DCW

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2022 at 9:58 PM, DCW said:

Anyone read Brian Gewirtz's new book yet? assume it has the potential to be decent. I also thought the same about Edge's god awful autobiography & Foley's TNA era crud book though!

Got it on an Audible trial. It's decent but I'm not sure I'd buy a physical copy. He seems like a good egg who doesn't want to burn too many bridges but it's conducive to an enforced zany kind of writing style that caricatures backstage WWE as a sort of theme park for adults. Not too dissimilar to the kind of comedy writing he'd try and do on the shows. 

As someone who is overly sympathetic to Russo it was interesting hearing that his three big ideas when he came back for a stint in 2002 - which were summarily shitcanned - were Bischoff/Shane, bringing back DX and stripping 'Taker of the title and putting it on RVD. 

One would be half arsed the next year, the other hinted at within weeks and come to fruition a few years later and the last is exactly what Raw could have done with in 2002. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
9 hours ago, Tsurutagun said:

Has anyone read Nakamura's book?  Saw it at Waterstones and tempted to buy

Yeah, it's decent - it's basically a long-form interview, which is what a lot of Japanese wrestler's books are. Some interesting stories about him coming up through the NJPW Dojo, the dynamic with Inoki, working MMA and wrestling at the same time, and so on.