Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

• Paid Members

With the caveat that I'm a huge Roddy Piper mark, I absolutely loved it.

It's not quite what you'd expect - none of the content that Piper wrote actually made it into the finished book, they just wrote their own story, using his notes as a starting point - but it's a fascinating study of the contrast between kayfabe and reality.

They question a lot of the long-standing Roddy Piper stories - the story of him getting beaten up by Larry Hennig in under a minute in his first match, they point out can't have been his first match, and that he might have been wrestling for years at that point, and suggest that the age he insisted he started wrestling probably wasn't true, either.

But it's not just picking holes in old wrestler's bullshit, they do a good job of really analysing why Piper was the person he was, and how much his own self-mythologizing was a bit of a security blanket for him, as it meant he could invent his own persona instead of having to face up to some of the more unpleasant bits of his past.

A lot of it is about the question we have of a lot of old wrestlers - where does Roderick Toombs stop and Roddy Piper begin? They explain that, towards the end of his life, he'd dropped "Rowdy" from his name, and was actually planning to start going back by his real name, but he realised that he'd been Roddy Piper so long that he didn't know who Roddy Toombs was any more.

So, yeah, I thought it was bloody brilliant, eye-opening in places, and not just lacking in the sort of self-aggrandising storytelling of most wrestler autobiographies, but actually actively challenging that norm.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, the reason the podcast has been inconsistent over the last two months is because I was finishing off my first book, and with it being a particular anniversary today, it's the appropriate time to announce it I feel...

At the end of October, Crazy Like A Fox - The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later will be available on Amazon and other online retailers. The book offers (if I may say so) the most in-depth analysis of Brian's personal and professional life ever compiled, with unheard details of his football and wrestling careers complimented by exclusive interviews with close friends and colleagues, including the Pillman family, Dave Meltzer, Kim Wood, Bruce Hart, Raven, Jim Cornette, Mark Madden, Les Thatcher and many more.

5Ifn7sq.jpg

N53EPmd.jpg

The official preview reads:

An alpha male with a beta body, looking to thrive in worlds where beta males with alpha bodies are the primary requirement.

He was a complex paradox, a walking contradiction. He lived more in 35 years than most do in a lifetime, the product of an arduous infanthood. His overachievement is awe-inspiring. Tales of his conflicts and conquests became the stuff of legend. His borderline genius and tragic demise made him an icon shrouded in mystique.

He was Brian Pillman, and two decades later the most comprehensive look at one of professional wrestling's most fascinating stories has been compiled. Discover unheard details of his upbringing, the incredible story behind chasing an NFL roster spot and his introduction to pro wrestling in the crazy Stampede circuit. Revel at his trials and tribulations in WCW and the WWF, walking the fine line between the cusp of superstardom and political turmoil. Reflect in the most detailed, inside breakdown of his Loose Cannon gambit ever produced, the scam that turned him into the talk of the business, before fatally drowning in personal tragedy and addiction.

With exclusive interviews with some of Brian's closest friends and family, Crazy Like A Fox is a must-read for Pillman fans, and a breathtaking look at the bizarre world of wrestling to boot…
-
So, yeah. It's been a labour of love for almost two years and it's almost ready for consumption.
Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

So, the reason the podcast has been inconsistent over the last two months is because I was finishing off my first book, and with it being a particular anniversary today, it's the appropriate time to announce it I feel...

At the end of October, Crazy Like A Fox - The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later will be available on Amazon and other online retailers. The book offers (if I may say so) the most in-depth analysis of Brian's personal and professional life ever compiled, with unheard details of his football and wrestling careers complimented by exclusive interviews with close friends and colleagues, including the Pillman family, Dave Meltzer, Kim Wood, Bruce Hart, Raven, Jim Cornette, Mark Madden, Les Thatcher and many more.

Congratulations mate. Will definitely be a buyer. Will it be available on paper?

• Paid Members

Fantastic cover art - sounds brilliant too, and can only imagine the amount of work that must have gone into it. I've often contemplated trying to write a biography, but wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

I'll definitely be ordering it.

Its intriguing how Brian Pillman is like the ultimate cult hero of pro wrestling. That he never main evented WrestleMania or was a established main eventer doesn't seem to matter because his legend has grown over the years where he's still seen as someone who could and should have been a top guy. Because in the cartoon world of wrestling he was even more larger than life and lived the gimmick 24/7.

He was essentially method acting as the Loose Cannon and to find out about the real Brian Pillman will be fascinating. There was a selection of interviews he did put out as a CD on YouTube. If they are still on there IIRC he's in full gimmick but in one he let's his guard down a little.