Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

Anyone read Jim Ross's book yet?

What about Wrestling With Hell? I've been turned off that one because it seems like a salacious cash in, which took liberties with its subject matter, from what I've read about it; any redeeming features?

How about Shawn Michaels' first book? I don't want to waste my time if it glosses over things, which I feel it will; I'm also a little turned off by how dense he is in his general demeanour, I don't think it would translate well in written form.

Fair dues again, Liam. Brian Pillman isn't someone I remember all too well as the parents got rid of Sky before he came along in WWF and I was a cub when he was at his peak in WCW, but the reviews can't go wrong, and reading about the politics of WCW back then sounds well intriguing!

Edited by NoUseforaUsername

I've heard little about JR's book since release, which is surprising as it'd been talked about for years beforehand and seemed like it would be an impactful one.

Not heard of Wrestling With Hell.

Shawn Michaels' first book is alright, but it absolutely glosses over things. It's over a decade now since I read it, but I remember feeling like it wasn't anywhere near as in-depth on anything as you'd expect an autobiography to be. 

I really enjoyed ring of hell. It's pretty bleak and nihilistic and literally paints everyone from Benoit, to Vince to Hunter to Eddie to all of Japan as pathetic bullying scum bags but if you can look past that and take it all with a pinch of salt it's quite a page turner. 

Sadly Liam, I specifically remember the conclusion to the lengthy chapter on Brian Pillman summing him up as "The worlds greatest fuck up artist who had everything in the palm of his hand and threw it all away " I would wager you take a slightly more reasoned and balanced view on the man.

I kinda look as it as a fictional take on real events. Like if AMC or HBO decided to make their own interpretation of what really happened. Even though the portrayal of people's personalities is most likely purely assumed by the writer the actual facts and dates are all correct so that counts for something. 

Edited by DavidParis

On 14/12/2017 at 12:59 PM, King Pitcos said:

Quite a lot about Liam's book in the Observer this week. Here's a bit:

I want to make mention of one of the best wrestling biographies I’ve ever seen, called “Crazy Like A Fox: The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later,” by Liam O’Rourke. I may be biased on this because I know the subject matter better than most and the accuracy is spot on, but many others have echoed my belief that this is the best biography (as opposed to an autobiography) ever done on a wrestler and probably the best book ever written that fully described the political issues of WCW in the 90s. 

Yeah that whole thing was pretty overwhelming in this week's issue. Great comments from Dave...

Alex Marvez of Sporting News wrote a piece on it as well, if anybody wants to know more: http://www.sportingnews.com/wwe/news/brian-pillman-book-crazy-like-a-fox-flyin-brian-liam-orourke-wcw-ecw-eric-bischoff/15xhpb5b1rffb1r6glsguafb80

As for Ring of Hell, its an interesting read, but there are enough wild jumps to various conclusions with a disregard for accuracy at certain points that it really makes you question the rest, which is unfortunate. Irv Mushnick's book on the Benoit situation is very good, particularly the first half dealing with the situation itself.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

6 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

I read bits and pieces. Certain stuff stands out as too far-fetched to be true - particularly the passage where Scott Hall is accused of pissing on Chris Benoit's cowboy boots.

That sounds 100% legit to me, the Wolfpac and bodily excretions go hand in hand.