Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, eugenespeed said:

It's been out for 12 years, granted, but finally started Turning The Tables by John Lister. Very much enjoying it. 

Not counting the 1991 and 92 WWF annuals, Turning the Tables was my first wrestling book. It’s a great read.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

It seems to be around the £6-£9 mark every Christmas, including smiths and Waterstones if I remember correctly. It’ll be the revised one too. 

Although I love that book, it’s biggest issue just like all books that cover the history of everything to the present, is that it becomes out of date and officially inaccurate the day after publishing. 

Thinking about it, it might have been better as one of those folders in which you collect fact sheet cards and pop them in. (There was a wildlife one in the 90’s I remember and it was much more fun as a kid than a standard book). Easy enough to collect the bio cards in bulk or as singles, makes it easier for autograph collectors to simply take a bio card to an Indy show to meet gangrel, rather than a giant bloody book too.

This was it and had a big giraffe on the folder front:

EEF89D9A-A78C-400F-9966-3E0DEDB9AD41.jpeg

Also @Liam O'Rourke your book has arrived. Looking forward to reading it.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

Had to check the cover on Google but yes, I had (and probably still have) that too.

If Merlin had branched into these with a WWF one they'd have survived at least another year.

13 hours ago, JNLister said:

Thank you very much for the review John, and obviously I'm thrilled to see you enjoyed it so much. Five stars is huge praise and I appreciate it greatly.

@Kaz Hayashi Awesome, thank you! Please let me know what you think of it...

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Survived? They sold up to Topps for $50m. There's a great doc on Panini/Merlin on ITV player at the moment.

I've been meaning to watch that. Only picked up the jist from comments on here, and clearly got the wrong end of the sticker.

• Paid Members

I'm really enjoying "Crazy like a fox" now I'm onto the wrestling. The football part is well written but very much the prelude for me. Getting into the early WCW stuff at the moment. Loved the Calgary section. Liam doing a good job of handling some pretty crude road stories like Pillman getting sucked off by Quagmire's rat.

Re-watched Luger & Pillman from Halloween Havoc 89 at lunch. Craved some viewing from that period. Pity there isn't Saturday Night on the Network RATHER THAN ALL THAT FUCKING WCCW!!!

Really good match but Pillman is a far better worker than Luger who just stumbles into some spots looking gormless. He drops a fucking terrible elbow too. While I'm on at him, has anyone ever had shitter long hair than Luger? It's like straw. Especially when he's in there with a Pro-wrestling Hall of Fame barnet like Brian's.

Gary Michael Capetta announcing "Fly-in Bri-an" is one of the most iconic calls in wrestling for me. Wasn't an avid viewer of Worldwide as a kid but I caught it sometimes and had a couple of WCW tapes and that always sticks in my memory.

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:55 PM, tiger_rick said:

I'm really enjoying "Crazy like a fox" now I'm onto the wrestling. The football part is well written but very much the prelude for me. Getting into the early WCW stuff at the moment. Loved the Calgary section. Liam doing a good job of handling some pretty crude road stories like Pillman getting sucked off by Quagmire's rat.

Re-watched Luger & Pillman from Halloween Havoc 89 at lunch....Really good match but Pillman is a far better worker than Luger who just stumbles into some spots looking gormless. He drops a fucking terrible elbow too. While I'm on at him, has anyone ever had shitter long hair than Luger? It's like straw. Especially when he's in there with a Pro-wrestling Hall of Fame barnet like Brian's.

The Kazmaier stuff was so fun to write. The thought of Brian and Owen just prodding this dumb fucker cracks me up every time. It does amuse me how, in that HH89 match, the Philly smart marks are in love with Lex, despite the straw hair and generally wooden nature of everything he does. He plays up to it well though, does our Larry, and it ends up being a cracker. Luger's hair became atrocious by 97, still rocking the 89 length with even less thickness, yet even more blond. I'm not even sure there's anything to compare it to...

hqdefault.jpg