The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

3 hours ago, 5pints said:

Anyone picked up the new Maiden album? If so, thoughts?

From what I've heard, lots of Dirgey X Factor stuff. Assuming that the band, mainly Steve were having a shit time, as it's been a pre cursor on previous LPs.Ā 

Probably their last, and unless there's a dubstep or experimental album in there, they'll never change. Liked Book of Souls, but Dance of Death is their best in the last 20 years, seen as Brave New World is 21 plus...Ā 

Well Slam Dunk North was abit good.Ā 
Ā 

Traffic to get in was a nightmare meaning I missed Blood Youth and Hactivist.Ā 

Love the idea of the back to back stages, hope Download do something like that one day. Always something going on.Ā 

Skindred always fun. Bury Tomorrow sound as good as ever with there new lineup.Ā 
Ā 

While She Sleeps smashed it again. They just sound massive now.Ā 

On 9/3/2021 at 7:39 PM, 5pints said:

Anyone picked up the new Maiden album? If so, thoughts?

Had a listen to it yesterday. It certainly seems to have a darker tone tone overall but I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s an X Factor type dirge either.

It was OK, but like Book of Souls I probably wonā€™t go back to it any time soon (in fact I donā€™t think I ever listened to BoS a second time).Ā Like the last few albums, itā€™s another case of quantity over quality. Even while listening to it youā€™ll find yourself thinking that they couldā€™ve cut between 15 and 20 minutes off of it.Ā Just because youā€™ve got 81 minutes of material doesnā€™t mean you have to release all of it, theĀ fact that itā€™s just been sat in a draw for the last two years and they havenā€™t thought to maybe cut it down slightly is mind-boggling.

Dont get me wrong, thereā€™s nothing overly bad on there (we havenā€™t reached the depths of Virtual XIā€™s ā€˜The Angel and Ā The Gamblerā€™)Ā but itā€™s just sort of existsĀ to keep Maiden going out on tour and play festivals

• Paid Members
On 9/5/2021 at 6:57 AM, Only_The_Strong_Survive said:

Love the idea of the back to back stages, hope Download do something like that one day. Always something going on.Ā 

Download are much like WWE in a way, even down to them not using ideas that aren't there own or don't have their own spin. People have been hankering DownloadĀ to have a rotating stage schedule since Sonisphere's short-lived run, but they'll stillĀ stick to their bread, butter and long-wait times.

I've been rattled by Owen's death all weekend. I had loads of mutual friends with him, other bands that had toured with HYOM, promoters and the like and nobody had a bad word to say about him. I'd never met him in person but he played guitar on a Neurosis cover I did vocals on so we had a bit of messenger chat during the making of that and just off the back of that he seemed cool as fuck and I really liked the guy's personality. We're playing an all-dayer next year and the promoter was trying to get HYOM on the bill which I was massively excited about. Even without that real-world connection to him it's really upset me. It just feels very close to home.Ā