The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Who the hell releases an album on a Sunday?

Last week was a pretty big release day with new albums from Dream Theater, Cradle of Filth, the reformed Massacre and 1914. 
Dream Theater’s wasn’t bad but I’m struggling to remember anything standout from, whereas Cradle of Filth’s was pretty good and the drums sounded fucking huge in certain parts. I hadn’t listened to anything of them from in the last decade other than the remastered Cruelty and the Beast from a couple of years back, but I quite enjoy this new one.

New Mastodon album is out today though. Looking forward to giving that a go, but it’s another new album clocking in at nearly 90 minutes (their longest to date)

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I just gave that new Limp Bizkit record a go and for an album that was nearly ten years in the making it sounds half finished. None of the tracks sound finished. Most of them sound like half finished 2-minute long demos. Also, considering the album is only just over 30 minutes long, there isn't half some filler on it wether it be skits or just minute and a half acoustic bits.

For me it falls into the trope of pretty much all Limp Bizkit's stuff - potentially great tracks ruined by Fred Durst. There are some absolute stonking riffs on it (on the songs that actually sound like full songs, anyway) with Fred's vocals seemingly tacked onto the end. Apparently all the music was written and recorded by 2017 and the last four years have been Fred recording his vocals, chucking them away, re-recording, over and over, so if this is what the final versions of the vocals sounds like, I'd hate to hear what some of the early versions were.

Do yourself a favour and listen to the opening track then turn it off and pretend the whole album sounds like that. It starts off so well then goes downhill as the record goes on. There are some flashes of brilliance later on - mainly the guitar riffs - but they're so fleeting that it's not worth slogging through the mud to get to them.

I give it two chocolate starfishes out of five.

28 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I just gave that new Limp Bizkit record a go and for an album that was nearly ten years in the making it sounds half finished. None of the tracks sound finished. Most of them sound like half finished 2-minute long demos. Also, considering the album is only just over 30 minutes long, there isn't half some filler on it wether it be skits or just minute and a half acoustic bits.

For me it falls into the trope of pretty much all Limp Bizkit's stuff - potentially great tracks ruined by Fred Durst. There are some absolute stonking riffs on it (on the songs that actually sound like full songs, anyway) with Fred's vocals seemingly tacked onto the end. Apparently all the music was written and recorded by 2017 and the last four years have been Fred recording his vocals, chucking them away, re-recording, over and over, so if this is what the final versions of the vocals sounds like, I'd hate to hear what some of the early versions were.

Do yourself a favour and listen to the opening track then turn it off and pretend the whole album sounds like that. It starts off so well then goes downhill as the record goes on. There are some flashes of brilliance later on - mainly the guitar riffs - but they're so fleeting that it's not worth slogging through the mud to get to them.

I give it two chocolate starfishes out of five.

Dude I couldn't disagree more with this review respectfully may I add. I think this album is a fantastic return after 10 long long years away and for me there last album gold cobra was really disappointing and underwhelming. 

The opening 2 tracks are absolute ragers, I don't like dad vibes as a single or song and I will admit it does dip slightly in the middle but you bring out the worst in me and love the hate are hilarious and quite heavy tracks. 

What I will say is on some of the songs Fred's vocals are drowned in effects in a way that sounds overkill because you know if they play them live there is no way they can have those sort of effects in a live setting its the sort of stuff that can only be done in a studio so that is disappointing.

However I think they have gone really heavy on more tracks than previous limp bizkit albums. 

Personally I give it a strong 8 out of 10.

24 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of it was actually rushed & recorded recently after that live show went viral, Dad Vibes especially seems like a song made quickly after.

Quite the opposite dude they have been putting this album together for the past 7 years or so. A couple of years ago they bought in oli sykes and Jordan fish from bring me the horizon to help work on it and produce it however they quit the project a month or so in because it just wasn't working. 

I will agree a couple of the songs do dip in quality somewhat but I would say more that 3 quarters of the album are really good and quality outings 

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

they have been putting this album together for the past 7 years or so.

The length of the project doesn't mean the end result wasn't rushed. If what WfL says is true it's not inconceivable that a vanity project gets rushed out the door quick, from a vocals perspective and I'd assume post production too, when money is knocking. That's possibly giving an overall rushed feel to 7 years of effort. 

3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Apparently all the music was written and recorded by 2017 and the last four years have been Fred recording his vocals, chucking them away, re-recording, over and over, so if this is what the final versions of the vocals sounds like, I'd hate to hear what some of the early versions were

Edited by Tommy!