The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

56 minutes ago, Panhead said:

I can't get enough of the new Deafheaven record. 

I listened it the other day and thought it was alright, but not overly fussed by it. I loved Sunbather and New Bermuda but I think this new style and direction is a bit too much of a handbrake turn for me. It’s missing the stuff that made me love them in the first place. 

It just sounds like My Vitriol (which is never a bad thing) with Morrissey vocals (which is a bad thing). 

I don’t hate it by any means, it just doesn’t grab me like their previous stuff has done. 

There's so many "Urgh, this will be my last Damnation now as it's no longer in Leeds" nobheads commenting on Facebook, probably not realising the organisers are from Glasgow and Belfast and have had ten hour trips to just visit the new venue and check the facilities.  Favourite comment so far is "You should put on a second day in Leeds for those that don't want to travel to Manchester".

A Day to Remember, Black Veil Brides, Volbeat, Shinedown, Code Orange and few others added to Download. Guess the line up's pretty much set now:

spacer.png

Feels like they got locked into a pretty conservative lineup by booking so far out, mid covid, but I've already had tickets for the longest time so I'm digging it. It's a bit all over the place, but there's a couple of acts there on each day I'd have no problem having some fun to. 

Anyone more boring than Volbeat, though, in the whole of rock or metal? 

Looks like they’ve rebooked the majority of acts that were meant to be there for 2020, the triple header of Dying Fetus, Obituary and Sepultura is definitely still intact from that year and I’d go watch all 3 of those rather than watch Iron Maiden ever again. I’m still planning on heading down for the Friday to see KISS, but that whole day’s undercard looks pretty underwhelming.

Volbeat’s first 4 albums are really good but they seemed to suddenly steer away from being a metal band with rock n’ roll influences and leaning really heavily into being a heavy rock n’ roll band (if that makes sense). I’m all for bands trying new things and mixing up their sound, but theirs seemed to happen really fucking quickly once they started to get a bit of a following and from Rob Caggiano joining the band

Edited by WyattSheepMask