The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Gutted. One of the best gigs I went to was when Slipknot headlined the Hammersmith Apollo with Machine Head and Children of Bodom for 3 nights back in 2008. I lucked out and got to go for 2 nights. The cool visual of Joey Jordison wearing a crown of thorns and gloves with branches hanging off them always stuck with me. Of the 9 members, if you weren’t watching Corey Taylor those nights, your eyes were on Joey as he was just always amazing to watch. He did his rotating drum solo for the encore as well to really steal the show at the end. 

Hard to believe that 3 musicians from that gig have now passed away. Two within the past 7 months. 

Still my favourite time ever seeing them was the Unholy Alliance tour in 2004 with Slayer, Mastodon and Hatebreed at Hammersmith.

It's a fairly easy venue to get to the front as you just sidle round the side, and I was right in front of Mick with a perfect view of Joey. Absolutely amazing gig.

• Paid Members

Blimey well this is really shitty news to wake up to. Saw him with Slipknot twice at Reading Festival and once with Rob Zombie in Brum. A hell of a drummer and fascinatingly iconic when I think about it. Considering the army of members Slipknot had Joey was as over as Corey.

R.I.P

• Paid Members

The self-titled Slipknot album is still in my Top 10  Albums of all time, and most of that is based around Joey's fucking incredible drumming. There's a wall of controlled-chaos created by the ninesome, but Joey not only cut through the mix but he also held it all together. Saw them twice live at Download, with the 2009 gig being absolutely exceptional. I lost my mind when they leapt into the SIC-EYELESS combo with Joey steering course at the helm. An unbelievable loss for music. RIP.

6 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

The self-titled Slipknot album is still in my Top 10  Albums of all time, and most of that is based around Joey's fucking incredible drumming. There's a wall of controlled-chaos created by the ninesome, but Joey not only cut through the mix but he also held it all together. Saw them twice live at Download, with the 2009 gig being absolutely exceptional. I lost my mind when they leapt into the SIC-EYELESS combo with Joey steering course at the helm. An unbelievable loss for music. RIP.

That's worth linking:

One of the best intros ever. So much so that Corey Taylor's since started putting its little crowd cues and idiosyncrasies into every gig they've done since. 

Putyourmotherfuckinhandsintheair!

I don’t think Jordison ever really got the credit he deserved for writing the first two records pretty much by himself. Iowa was a bit more collaborative, but he wrote all the music for the self titled -  a genre defining classic - and deserves way more recognition for doing so. 

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

I don’t think Jordison ever really got the credit he deserved for writing the first two records pretty much by himself. Iowa was a bit more collaborative, but he wrote all the music for the self titled -  a genre defining classic - and deserves way more recognition for doing so. 

That's very true, and thinking about all their albums today I realised nothing touches that first one. It's the most Slipknot of their albums. Iowa was great too, but every successive effort since saw them take on more and more polish and influence from elsewhere. 

That first album, though. It's like it escaped from the recording studio. Everything the early band felt like - bullied, stinking of vomit, trying to escape the back arse or Nowhere, Iowa - was packed in there. And a huge amount of that is the drumming. A huge amount of it is the creepy sampling too, actually. Another aspect of their sound that's been produced out over the years. 

Clown's somehow risen to being the credited leader of the band's creative direction in the ensuing years, because he does their visuals and sounds really pretentious in interviews about what they do.

He does the bit where it goes 'ding' in Duality, too. 

I've said it before, and it's somewhat of a cliche, but the first album came out at just the right time for me. As a depressed teen who had already been through the fucking ringer, that album was everything I needed. In a positive way as well. 

I genuinely remember the first time I heard Sic. It blew my socks off, and I'd never heard anything like it. Rage were my boys and heavier and important in a different way.

A mate of mine at the time said "ooooh you'll like *insert a black metal band*, they're much heavier" and I thought 'What on earth could be heavier than this?' It sounded like hell.

And they were massive. I'd say every second t shirt or hoodie in our "grunger" circle was a Slipknot one. Identification as a young person is very important, and I know that they were that band for a lot of my generation. 

Iowa is an absolutely brutal listen in parts. Skin Ticket still creeps me out massively.

By the time the self-titled came out I was already heavily in to Korn, Metallica, Deftones, RATM and a few others but that record felt like levelling up. All my mates were gobsmacked by it, it's just so fucking intense. That snare drum, Jesus. And alllllllllllll the double kick. It was around that time I started playing in bands and even though Korn were always my idols we'd always try and incorporate some of Slipknot's mad double kick and intensity in to the songs we were writing.

Iowa is a different beast. Where the self-titled is very in-you-face-vicious I'd say Iowa is more menacing. Me and my brother were at HMV the second it opened on release dy and got our free patch. I've still got that somewhere. I think I wore my Slipknot hoodie for a month straight at one point in college til being forcibly told to wash it.

23 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Skin Ticket

Probably tied with "Everything Ends" as my favourite on that album.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:10 PM, Merzbow said:

A rare episode of Merzbow's Black Metal Corner..

Came across this today which might be up the street of a few here, Wretch by Anti-God Hand (yeah, probably a Berserk reference).

It somehow manages to mix the nastiest lo-fi cosmic black metal with elements of prog rock and other styles far from black metal, managing to be strangely accessible while completely unforgiving and raw.

https://antigodhand.bandcamp.com/album/wretch

That’s cracking! Cheers for that!

MFKR's such an odd fucking album yet I loved it back in the day, it was like something you were never meant to have listened to along with "Crowz" which everyone thought was some lost second album at the time. It was more just a collection of demo songs from various releases and a few early live tracks.

Speaking of their early stuff, they've put up official streams of some.

Edited by Merzbow