The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

cleopatrick have released their debut album and it’s an absolute ripper!

I saw them open the main stage at 2000 Trees a couple of years ago when they only had one EP and they were brilliant. 

No nonsense, straight up rock and roll with some massive riffs. 

I think that Deafheaven track is fantastic and will sound great live. Sounds like a good evolution for them.

Been playing the Stars Hollow album    I Want To Live My Life a lot over the last couple of weeks, and will probably interest fans of twiddly, math style modern emo.

Their Happy Again EP from a few years back was incredible, and whilst the album is more polished, it's still a great listen. 

36 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Double post but I don't care. This needs talking about.

What the fuck is this? I get that bands sound evolve but this isn't even the same band. Someone's been listening to Morrissey too much.

You mention them listening to Morrissey, I think the singer even sounds like Johnny Marr from his solo stuff!

I do like the last minute or so it builds to. hopefully the album will be more along those lines.

I think it's the drumming for me that really sends that in to 90s indie territory. It's not bad by any stretch and the ending suggests there's still going to be heavy bits on the album but the problem with Deafheaven is there's always the expectation of another Sunbather, despite that record being from 8 years ago.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Double post but I don't care. This needs talking about.

What the fuck is this? I get that bands sound evolve but this isn't even the same band. Someones been listening to Morrissey too much.

This might sound like a stupid question, but this is the very same Deafheaven who released this back in 2010?! That's quite the sound change!

22 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

This might sound like a stupid question, but this is the very same Deafheaven who released this back in 2010?! That's quite the sound change!

Not a stupid question at all, but yeah, same band.

Nothing wrong with a band trying new things, they’re over decade older than they were when they put that demo out. People change, their outlooks change, and a change in direction can yield some great stuff. Look at bands like Ulver and Katatonia, both completely different to how they started out but both have and continue to put out great records

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but at this stage in their career you’ve got think it a case of them making the album that they want to make

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Both Ulver and Katatonia changed and brought out something fresh and interesting, especially Ulver who do it time and time again. The problem for almost all I've heard talk about this latest song isn't that it's different at all, it's just a tad dull.

I do wonder how the whole album will compare to established post-rock and shoegaze acts tho, Alcest tried it and Shelter was a bit weak, sounding like a poor Sigur Ros.

Edited by Merzbow

21 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Both Ulver and Katatonia changed and brought out something fresh and interesting, especially Ulver who do it time and time again. The problem for almost all I've heard talk about this latest song isn't that it's different at all, it's just a tad dull.

I do wonder how the whole album will compare to established post-rock and shoegaze acts tho, Alcest tried it and Shelter was a bit weak, sounding like a poor Sigur Ros.

That’s the key thing for me, how it fits in compared with everything else around it.

There will be people who love it, some that will be a bit indifferent so long as they still play a decent live show, and others that hate it but will love the fact they get to do some pathetic gatekeeping, such is the way these days

Oh there will be gatekeeping from both sides for sure, 'tho I imagine there's less from the shoegaze side.

Speaking of shoegaze, I'm listening to this and it is fucking outstanding and mixes well with midwestern emo plus hints of black metal speckled throughout.