The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Moderators

I remember going to Ozzfest 98 and everyone was really gutted and angry that Korn pulled out at the last minute. They were replaced by Therapy? who are inarguably a much better band. At the time I didn't know them though, so it was a nice introduction to them.

Never actually did see Korn live after that though so can't say if I missed out, but I wasn't a huge fan of them anyway.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

18 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

A massive case of happenstance, but I loved that Download set. Everyone put an absolute shift in, Matt Heafy especially. 

Oh yeah, Heafy and Corey Taylor in particular were fantastic and you could genuinely feel the rest of the band relaxing as they'd got singers that knew the material. Unlike the lad from Leaves Eyes who opened the set doing "It's On" with the most deer-in-the-headlights expression I've ever seen and with one of the techs literally stood at the side of the stage mouthing the words to him and pointing when it was time to come in.

2 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Oh yeah, Heafy and Corey Taylor in particular were fantastic and you could genuinely feel the rest of the band relaxing as they'd got singers that knew the material. Unlike the lad from Leaves Eyes who opened the set doing "It's On" with the most deer-in-the-headlights expression I've ever seen and with one of the techs literally stood at the side of the stage mouthing the words to him and pointing when it was time to come in.

That was a great Download. My everlasting memory is watching the England-Paraguay game whilst Avenged Sevenfold (IIRC) were playing in the background and it being so hot that my lighter started pissing the gas out of it while in my hand and it exploding on the ground seconds after I'd dropped it.

METAL!

11 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

That was a great Download. My everlasting memory is watching the England-Paraguay game whilst Avenged Sevenfold (IIRC) were playing in the background and it being so hot that my lighter started pissing the gas out of it while in my hand and it exploding on the ground seconds after I'd dropped it.

METAL!

It was disgustingly hot that year but nothing of ours exploded sadly. A7X getting the cheap pop by coming out in England shirts was a great moment.

• Paid Members

I remember hearing about Jonathan Davis' pulling out of the show because he was at death's door with blood pouring out of his bummy, but I didn't realise the band played their slot with guest singers. Just Youtubed it and there's some footage on there, albeit pretty bad quality. Good to see Corey Taylor singing Freak on a Leash and he even did the freestyle bit!

It's annoying that pro shot footage of festivals is hard to find. That Copping bloke who runs Download must be sat on thousands of hours of footage that will never see the light of day. I wonder why they bother filming so much of it to be honest, it must cost a bit and i'm sure Sky Arts aren't paying a lot for a few hours highlights every year. 

27 minutes ago, waters44 said:

I remember hearing about Jonathan Davis' pulling out of the show because he was at death's door with blood pouring out of his bummy, but I didn't realise the band played their slot with guest singers. Just Youtubed it and there's some footage on there, albeit pretty bad quality. Good to see Corey Taylor singing Freak on a Leash and he even did the freestyle bit!

It's annoying that pro shot footage of festivals is hard to find. That Copping bloke who runs Download must be sat on thousands of hours of footage that will never see the light of day. I wonder why they bother filming so much of it to be honest, it must cost a bit and i'm sure Sky Arts aren't paying a lot for a few hours highlights every year. 

Well the main reason it’s done is for the fans stood far away, selling the footage to Sky Arts is just a bit of a bonus. Bloodstock do a good job of putting up quite a few full sets to their YouTube page.

There has been a couple of home releases of Download performances. Slipknot’s 2009 performance, from the first time they headlined, is really good but hard to come by if you want it on BluRay for anything resembling a fair price (although I was lucky to get a copy a few weeks back), and Aerosmith released their 2014 set.

I would imagine it’s a publishing rights issue when it comes to releasing festival footage, especially for footage from so far back. Like I say, Bloodstockdo well with what they put out, but they don’t tend to work with the big boys when it comes to that kind of thing

Edited by WyattSheepMask

For a couple of years they live streamed a load of sets on the Download site, I remember seeing the Faith No More comeback tour set in there were they opened with Reunited. They certainly had a lot out free live streams that year and I'm sure they were available to watch for a limited time the following week, I seem to remember a headliner the next year refused to be streamed and from memory the year after it just stopped but it was good while it lasted. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, RancidPunx said:

New Tomahawk (Mike Patton, Duane Dennison of Helmet, John Stainer) album out today.

Not heard it yet but its getting good reviews... 

I listened to it this afternoon and loved it. Tomahawk, historically, have been the Mike Patton band was I probably least interested in - everything I heard struck me as fairly standard hard rock/metal, which isn't what I wanted from a post-FNM Patton after having heard Fantomas and what-have-you. 

I enjoyed the new one so much that I might actually go back and listen to their other stuff again in case my tastes have changed. 

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I listened to it this afternoon and loved it. Tomahawk, historically, have been the Mike Patton band was I probably least interested in - everything I heard struck me as fairly standard hard rock/metal, which isn't what I wanted from a post-FNM Patton after having heard Fantomas and what-have-you. 

I enjoyed the new one so much that I might actually go back and listen to their other stuff again in case my tastes have changed. 

I actually loved “Anonymous” the native American album. Its a great album to fall asleep to, and i mean that in a good way.

“Oddfellows” the last album was very average .

Edited by RancidPunx

• Paid Members
On 3/26/2021 at 4:45 PM, waters44 said:

Yeh i know what you mean. I went to the Leeds Festival every year between 2000-2006 and theres next to no footage of those festivals, they all had the big screens going on those so it must have been recorded. 

Going to youtube and watching any pro shot festival footage pre-mobile phone is one of my favorite things to do. The difference in energy in the audience compared to anything you see today is night and day.