The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Similarly, I saw Fantomas at ATP in 2008, doing the "Director's Cut" album, which I bloody love.

I'd only started going to ATP the year before, immediately fell in love with it in part because the crowd were so much more polite and reasonable than what I'd been used to from rock/metal festivals. 2008 was headlined and curated by Mike Patton & The Melvins, and it attracted a lot of that audience - including a fair few of the worst offenders I recognised from Jersey's metal scene - and was far less enjoyable as a result.

Patton was, as ever, fucking brilliant, though.

The Director's Cut album is great. I haven't listened to it in ages. I might dig the CD out and get it in the car for the drive to work tomorrow. 

• Paid Members
On 2/3/2021 at 11:05 AM, WyattSheepMask said:

And you get those types at all festivals. Bloodstock is a great festival, but always worth a chuckle when they book a band who are deemed either “not metal enough” or “too popular”

Yeh, ive never had a single issue at Bloodstock. There's alot of strange folk milling about but the atmosphere is always super friendly. As for the elitist group, they just seem to he a quiet minority that go completely silent when the actual festival is happening. 

• 2 weeks later...

New Gojira tune, from the album ‘Fortitude’ out April 30th.

Andrew WK has a new tune (Babalon) out today too which sounds very different to previous work but in a good way, not the ‘smacked out of his bin, no filter Close Calls with Brick Walls/Mother of Mankind’ way or his ‘just me & a piano’ album

Edited by WyattSheepMask

As always on Kurt Cobains birthday, been revisiting the music and getting a little teary at it all. He was a beautiful, fragile soul and it still makes me incredibly sad that hes not here.

Nirvana were so important to me in terms of exploring different genres of music, I made lifelong friends through them, just a very, very special band to me.

Fuck yeah.

• Paid Members

i really need to do a deep dive on Mogwai. Literally my only experience with them was seeing them support the Manic Street Preachers back in 1998. 16 year old me didnt know what to make of it.

Edited by Egg Shen

6 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i really need to do a deep dive on Mogwai. Literally my only experience with them was watching The Manic Street Preachers back in 1998. 16 year old me didnt know what to make of it.

I would start with Happy Songs For Happy People. It's probably their most accessible album, which also still hints at the heaviness they have. Includes my favourite Mogwai song, which when played live could topple a building.

Honestly, when the riff kicks in at around 4:20 (nice), it's what I imagine the end of the world to be soundtracked by.

5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

No need to do a deep dive, you could just listen to their music. 

Hot take you've dropped there Grandad. Major dub.

11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

One of my favourite live performances here. 

I've always wanted that played at my funeral. I want everyone to stare at the coffin for a full 9 minutes whilst it crescendos. 

There was a superb set they played that was on the iPlayer for a programme called Quay Sessions and they played a lovely version of this and 'Satan Fears Mogwai' but it seems to have disappeared!

Edit: Good old YouTube! 

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I would start with Happy Songs For Happy People. It's probably their most accessible album, which also still hints at the heaviness they have. 

then this is where I will start, nice one Bacon

Edited by Egg Shen

That Quay Sessions version of Mogwai Fear Satan has been a long favourite of mine. There's a bunch of critical darlings at the moment coming out with this so called progressive black metal which - lose the screeches - is basically just that track. Or sped up Slowdive done by Europeans droning on about metaphorical satanism. 

I absolutely love the new Architects album and can't wait to hear it live. I don't think it's as good as Holy Hell, but then I adore that album as it shows the strength of character they had after the tragedy they had.

"They've done a BMTH" Oh, wipe your tears guys. The band are moving in the direction they want to. They can't just make All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us over and over. If they're not headlining every festival next year, I'll eat my hat. 

Also, heard this this morning. It's like early 00s emo with trap and reggae thrown in. If that sounds your bag, you'll like it. If not, then avoid, but all I know is I've had it in my head all day.

Yuno-Somebody