The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

On 3/17/2021 at 6:03 PM, Merzbow said:

Do you like when black metal completely and utterly destroys genre boundries? The new Sleepwalker is perfect, only one track is out so far and it's blown me away.

https://sentientruin.bandcamp.com/album/no-na-krayu-sveta

Fucking hell. I got proper excited at the eight minute mark when it became Kid A/Amnesiac era Radiohead doing black metal. 

Buying this, for sure. 

• Paid Members

yeah, that Sleepwalker track is bloody brilliant, fantastic stuff. Reminds me of when I first heard Sigh, for the same realisation that you've just shifted imperceptibly into an entirely different genre without even really noticing. 

Bloodstock have dug out their UK Band Rolodex to fill some of the gaps left by the previously announced cancellations. 
Added bands include: 

The Wildhearts
Raging Speedhorn
Phil Campbell and The Bastard Sons
Hacktivist
Thunderous Jones
Ashen Crown
Luna’s Call
Urne
Forlorn World
Seething Akira
King Witch

Also announced are 21 club nights for Metal 2 The Masses to get bands for the New Blood Stage

W50M4vA.jpg

King Witch are ace, we've played a couple of gigs with them and they're a cracking band and lovely people.

It's going to be a very UK centric lineup but not necessarily a bad thing. Whether that impacts on ticket sales remains to be seen. I'm also massively pessimistic and expecting a few other US bands to drop out between now and August.

I think there will be a slight drop in attendance, but I don’t think that will be due to it being UK band centric, if that’s indeed what happens.

I think there will be enough people desperate to go to any sort of festival or gig once restrictions are relaxed, Latitude reported the other day that they’re intending to run at full capacity. 
Personally, I think August is still too soon to be going to anything like this, especially as most will have only had their first vaccination dose, so I’m giving it a miss this year and seeing where things stand for next year. 
Im very lucky in that I very rarely get ill in any meaningful way. I’ve not displayed anything close to COVID symptoms throughout this whole time (haven’t been shielding, just following the rules), but it’ll be Sod’s law that I go to this and test positive 

On 3/23/2021 at 12:07 PM, cobra_gordo said:

I'm also massively pessimistic and expecting a few other US bands to drop out between now and August.

Sod August, a day after my post and Bloodstock have announced Toxic Holocaust, Black Dahlia Murder and Cattle Decapitation are all off the bill. Genuinely can see Devin Townsend dropping off sooner rather than later.

They need to throw lots of money at Architects to headline the Friday if he does.

Edited by cobra_gordo

Here's a question. What's the line in Blind by Korn. I've been listening to it ever since it first came out but I can never tell if Jonathan Davis is singing I can see I'm going blind or, I can't see, I'm going blind. 

1 hour ago, 5pints said:

Here's a question. What's the line in Blind by Korn. I've been listening to it ever since it first came out but I can never tell if Jonathan Davis is singing I can see I'm going blind or, I can't see, I'm going blind. 

It’s mostly “I can’t see...”, but there is one backing vocal of “I can see I’m going blind”

I've always heard it as "I can see, I can see I'm going blind". Google "Korn blind lyrics" and the top two results both give different answers. Korn never used to put the lyrics in the CD booklets either which makes it harder to get confirmation. They've also only put half the lyrics on the description on the video on their official channel.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

I've got an eternal soft spot for Korn, if only because the goffs/sk8ers at school were all referred to as 'KornBods' by the townies and normal folk. I always make sure to see them whenever they happen to be part of a festival that I'm attending, despite being unfamiliar and unimpressed with their post-2005 material.

Korn were pretty much my life from 1998-2004 so they'll always be that band that I'll have a special place for, even though I only occasionally listen to them these days. I've seen them 13 or 14 times and, other than the time that Jon Davis nearly died before Download 2006 and they had to bring in guest vocalists, they're always great live.

22 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

other than the time that Jon Davis nearly died before Download 2006 and they had to bring in guest vocalists, they're always great live.

A massive case of happenstance, but I loved that Download set. Everyone put an absolute shift in, Matt Heafy especially.