The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Therapy?, Bleed From Within, Mother Vulture and ruiners of the black metal festival poster Party Cannon have been added to Bloodstock 2021

Party Cannon not getting to have their proper logo on the poster is reason to not buy a ticket.

New Godspeed You! Black Emperor album.

https://godspeedyoublackemperor.bandcamp.com/

What I imagine @Merzbowlistens to when he's in the mood for some 'easy listening'.

I once had a really awful experience stoned listening to Yanqui UXO where I thought I was at war for a bit and then had to walk home from Twickenham to Kingston convinced the enemy were out there somewhere.

Still a great album though.

• Paid Members

So last year I purchased the rights to name the Fancy Dress theme for 2000 Trees in their fundraiser and I've just sent off the video for the announcement.

I'm excited to festival again, got Trees, Slam Dunk and this tiny pop punk festival in Torquay called Burn It Down all sorted this summer on the heavier side then a few more mainstream festivals. Got tickets for Yungblud last Friday as well, I realise he won't be a lot of people's cup of tea rock wise but I really enjoy his sound.

42 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

and this tiny pop punk festival in Torquay called Burn It Down

If you haven't heard Bob Vylan (who's playing there) do, and go see them. Not many people are making music like they are at the minute with the urgency and anger they have.

I imagine they have a LOT of energy live. Hacktivist are always great live too.

I lost a bet with a mate recently, and my forfeit is that I have to listen to every Disturbed studio album.

Outside of the first few Singles, their covers of ‘Land of Confusion’ and ‘Sound of Silence’ and that ‘Greatest Hit of Disturbed’ video from YouTube, I’ve never heard anything else by them. Not through actively avoiding them or anything, just didn’t appeal to me from what little I have heard.

Jesus Christ though, that YouTube vid wasn’t wrong. I’m 3 albums in (‘The Sickness’, ‘Believe’ and ‘Ten Thousand Fists’) and it really is just the same song over & over again.

I only listened to it yesterday, but ‘Believe’ is so utterly forgettable. ‘Prayer’, which I already knew as it was a single, reeks of Mr Sheen it’s so polished and I remember that ‘Darkness’, the closer, was a slow ballad. Every other track though, all 10 of them, nothing even remotely memorable, I couldn’t even hum a riff back to you or a single line of lyrics.

The “best” track so far is ‘Meaning of Life’, the closing track on ‘The Sickness’, which sounds Rammstein-esque. “Their best song is at most alright because it sounds like someone else” is as close to a compliment as I can pay them so far.

3 albums down, only 4 more to go

It doesn't get any better. I listened to their latest doing night shifts when it came out and they're very much still jummin all the nummin nayes like it's 2002. 

• Paid Members
On 4/1/2021 at 10:09 AM, SuperBacon said:

Sure this will interest a few of you.

For some reason i never got into Mclusky, never stumbled across them live either. Need to change that.

I saw Jarcrew a bunch of times though, they would always hop on regular local bills and blow whoever they were supporting off stage. Last caught they when they reformed to support Midasuno back about 5-6 years ago.

• Paid Members

We've picked up tickets for McLusky, very keen for that one. Never managed to see them live before. Picked up tickets for Shonen Knife in October, too.

The new GY!BE is very good - nothing groundbreaking, in terms of taking their sound in new directions or anything like that, and nothing half as good as, say, Dead Flag Blues, but still lovely stuff.

The new Ruins Of Beverast album is fantastic, though - some really chilling atmospheric doom, one of those albums where the "heaviness" almost creeps up on you as you get lost in the sound.

In the more conventionally "metal" field, the new Rob Zombie sounds exactly how you'd expect a new Rob Zombie album to sound, and Saxon's new covers album is hilarious. Some of it isn't bad, in terms of what you'd expect from a 2021 Saxon album, but their cover of Paperback Writer is one of the worst metal covers I've heard in a long time.