The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Its nothing new. I remember when MCR headlined at the height of The Black Parade and the forum campaigns to boo and bottle them off.

Fucking nerds, and they lost out as they were fantastic and we all had a lovely sing song.

But as an aside I've always had a great time at Download, maybe more so than at any other festival (T In The Park the exception) and found the old metallers the friendliest bunch, just wanting to drink cider and smoke hash, but maybe I've just been lucky with who I've met. 

It’s a small minority who think they’re oh so cool and against the system, when in actuality Download is metal’s Glastonbury.

And you get those types at all festivals. Bloodstock is a great festival, but always worth a chuckle when they book a band who are deemed either “not metal enough” or “too popular”

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

All this talk of festivals makes me long for Sonisphere to return to Knebworth. It was the perfect size, not too big and the atmosphere seemed much nicer then Download or Reading (although tbh I’ve only been to DL and Reading once before).

I remember seeing Rammstein at Sonisphere which was one of the best shows I’ve seen. Then the whole weekend the following year was brilliant, perfect line up for me

2CE2B520-1390-41F8-B0D6-394F1CD8F0C4.jpeg

15 minutes ago, waters44 said:

All this talk of festivals makes me long for Sonisphere to return to Knebworth. It was the perfect size, not too big and the atmosphere seemed much nicer then Download or Reading (although tbh I’ve only been to DL and Reading once before).

I remember seeing Rammstein at Sonisphere which was one of the best shows I’ve seen. Then the whole weekend the following year was brilliant, perfect line up for me

I never got to Sonisphere, but I always felt that coming only a month after Download, there seemed to be the danger that both would get into a pattern of having a core group of bands who would just alternate between the two festivals each year.

There was that hiliarious incident from the inaugral Sonisphere in 2009 though were Machine Head were pulled from the bill after Rob Flynn threw a wobbly about being bumped down the running order after Limp Bizkit were added, only to then end up playing the festival anyway in the exact spot they'd been removed from. Depends which you want to believe, it was either a big publicity stunt, or Rob went back with his tail between his legs.

Seeing that 2011 poster as well, Black Tide seemed destined for greatness only years earlier, only to amount to absolutely nothing

Edited by WyattSheepMask

22 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Did bring me the horizon not play that one or did sonisphere run for 2 years? It's so weird looking at the bottom stage so many of my friends bands on there that are no longer active 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, waters44 said:

That was a fun festival. Although my girlfriend at the time gave me the awful choice of picking All Time Low or You Me At Six to watch with her as they were on opposite stages at the same time. My choice of drinking beer with my mates wasn’t an option apparently. 

2010 was my favourite of the two I went to. I’d waited so long to see Dir En Grey and I got to see them at Sonisphere and at Koko a couple days later. 

Sonisphere was the perfect festival for me. I wish it came back. Only an hour away. It wasn’t massive. Two years I got the same camping spot which was a couple of minutes away from the arena. Met some great people. I enjoyed it so much more than any Download experience. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

That was a fun festival. Although my girlfriend at the time gave me the awful choice of picking All Time Low or You Me At Six to watch with her as they were on opposite stages at the same time. My choice of drinking beer with my mates wasn’t an option apparently. 

TBF, putting All Time Low and You Me At Six on opposite stages is a massive mess-up by the organisers. I always thought Sonisphere had the alternating stage times gimmick?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

TBF, putting All Time Low and You Me At Six on opposite stages is a massive mess-up by the organisers. I always thought Sonisphere had the alternating stage times gimmick?

They did, but they still had a few clashes on main and second stage a couple of times at each festival I was at. If I remember correctly, one started 10 minutes after the other. I think there was a bit of a gap after both finished until the next bands and not the usual quick turnaround. 

I do remember 2010 had Motley Crue finish exactly as Iron Maiden was due to come on and me and my mate running across to try and get a good position. That was a bit of a fuck up from the organisers. Especially as Crue had such a large crowd and people did miss the start of Maiden. 

I'm pretty sure Scooter were pencilled in to do the But That's Not Metal! slot at Download last year. I would have been front and centre for that, drinking in the chicks terminator himself sending droves of Harley Davidson t-shirts fleeing the other way. 

15 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I'm pretty sure Scooter were pencilled in to do the But That's Not Metal! slot at Download last year. I would have been front and centre for that, drinking in the chicks terminator himself sending droves of Harley Davidson t-shirts fleeing the other way. 

The thing is that would've gone down well and been well attended and everyone would've had a gay old time as its clearly 'lol Scooter at Download', and not presented as anything but that.

It's when the bands that people think are just not metal enough play, when the smelly people get angry.