The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Yeah, that seems to be the view at the moment. 

I've never been a massive System fan - so the comparisons might be a bit cumbersome - but the first track reminds me of when they went up their own arses a bit during Hyponotize/Mezmerize whereas the second is a banger. 

I wonder did they really knock them together over the last while or were they sitting around half finished for years. 

I’m assuming that this has all been done in separate studios because Daron and Serj still hate each other.

Shavo did a mostly interesting interview (until he starts going on about his weed business) on Jamey Jasta’s podcast earlier this year, basically saying that they had a lot of stuff lined up so long as “certain people” can get along for long enough and how they missed out on doing the Metallica US Stadium tour because one of them said no

Edited by WyattSheepMask

18 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Havent all the band members said at some point they have songs written ready go be recorded? Obviously Daron put all his out as a Scars on Broadbway record. About time they put some music though.

Can't remember where I read it (Might have been on Loudwire of Kerrang!), but I think Daron said these two new songs were written as Scars on Broadway songs and it was the conflict in Armenia that unified them to record them as System songs. 

I saw them on the Toxicity tour and again at Download 2005. I thought they were a bit underwhelming live but I think it's probably because they had so much happening on their records, that it's hard to replicate it live. 

• Paid Members

They always seemed loose as fuck live back in the day, which i liked, it tied into the manic energy of their music. Id imagine a club show around the time of the first two albums would have been awesome. Ive only ever saw them at Festivals though (first time around the time of Toxicity).

In recent years, despite still headlining festivals and remaining massive its all become a bit shit. Seeing them half arse it in front of a festival crowd is a bit deflating. I know they are older than they used to be so you cant expect that same energy, but they literally look like they can't be fucked.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Given that the music scene in Aberdeen (pre Covid obviously) was almost non-existent I'm delighted to see Cold Years getting some good press. 

Seeing as Aberdeens most famous musical exports are still Annie Lennox and half of The Shamen it's about time someone else stood out. Hopefully they can keep it up

Edited by martyngnr

9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The Xcerts have released four fantastic albums, including an all time classic in In The Cold Wind We Smile.

They're from Aberdeen if I'm not mistaken.

Hold On To Your Heart is an awesome album. 

16 minutes ago, martyngnr said:

Given that the music scene in Aberdeen (pre Covid obviously) was almost non-existent I'm delighted to see Cold Years getting some good press. 

Seeing as Aberdeens most famous musical exports are still Annie Lennox and half of The Shamen it's about time someone else stood out. Hopefully they can keep it up

My home town....so I can agree with you that there has never been much of a music scene. Although I think I've seen more acts in the Lemon Tree than any other UK venue.