The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

44 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Your son having the most popular name for boys doesn’t exactly show your fandom either. Think out of the box next, like with my twin boys Dutch and Dylan

Well i have been a professional musician for 13 years and music is my entire life so my 2 boy's are called ollie and Chester. 

In regards to the new bring me album being awful i couldn't disagree more. I think the last 2 releases have been so opposite too there previous stuff it just threw me and i didn't enjoy them. music to listen to - Amo - That's the spirit were just so radio 1 rock friendly and such a drop after their unbelievable album "sempiternal" it just really upset me the route they have been taking.  I will happily argue and stand by the fact this new EP is the best thing they have done for 5 years easy. 

20 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

The problem with naming your kids after rock stars is that it would kinda suck to find out that you were named after a domestic abuser. Like Wyatt said, at least you can get away with this one, as it's such a common name nowadays. 

While i see the point your making. You see people naming there children after all sorts of influences these day's it's just the time we live in. 

Ollie is named after Oli sykes from bring me and my youngest Chester is named after Chester Bennington from linkin park. 
At the end of the day music is my entire life and has been since the age of 4, There was no choice when it came to looking at names as we both agreed we want there names to mean something and have that special link. 

If Chester was going to be a girl he was going to be named Arya after Arya stark from game of thrones. For anyone that gives a shit or interested 

5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Oh, you’re the karaoke guy!

No i'm the solo metalcore vocalist.....I am also in a new band that will be releasing music in January (touch wood). 
Over the years it used to really piss me off being called a karaoke singer or whatever but i've heard it so much now it just doesn't effect me anymore. 

If people want to label me as "The karaoke guy" then i've accomplished a fucking fair bit under that label  

35 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is it a Kunt and the gang set up where you sing your own songs over a backing tape? Must have been a blast recording with a band again! I miss doing that. 

Well over the years i've toured the country doing covers of famous/well known metalcore songs. So for example bring me the horizon/while she sleeps that sort of thing. 
However i have actually been sat on my first original material EP which has been done for about 3 years now, I got really busy and caught up with hang tight. So when lockdown hit i took the quiet time and tried to use it constructively so i started finally sitting down and writing for the EP and i have actually recorded and released the first 2 songs for it (which is up on spotify etc now) 

That has been so much fun and i've actually really enjoyed that side of it again. In regards to the band, Some of the stuff we are working on is coming on so strong and sounding absolutely fantastic i really cannot wait to get the vocals laid down and start to release in the early months of 2021. We have a really fresh/different sound as we have esentially 3 vocalists.....There is myself doing high screams/clean vocals - Steph doing clean vocals - ollie doing low screams/growls & lead guitar. I love the metalcore genre but as a whole it is quite saturated and there isn't alot of bands in the genre that have a USP to make them stand out from the rest. The super exciting part of this band is we have myself and steph a woman as the lead vocalists.

• Paid Members
On 10/21/2020 at 11:11 PM, SuperBacon said:

Julien Baker is back with a new song, typically lovely, and a full band album in the new year. Prefer it now whilst my SAD kicks in, but I'll forgive her.

One of the best artists of the last 5 years, this performance is one of the best vocal performances ever for me. Goosebumps every time.

She's just fantastic, isn't she? I had the Sprained Ankle album on a constant loop during a real bad phase in 2016-2017 and it really helped a lot. Her constant inner-struggle of being this Christian member of the LGBTQ+ community, who grew up in less-than-tolerant Tennessee, and who has her past demons with drug and alcohol abuse is mind-blowing for someone so young. The way she handles those themes and experiences in her songs in spellbinding. It's passionate and raw but never feels like she's just lashing out with anger. Everything is justified.

EDIT: Ha, I didn't realise this post was six days old. Apologies!

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

I’ve just listened to Metallica - Reload for the first time in around 20 years. It was the first album I bought on release day in the U.K. 

I remember it getting loads of stick from older metal friends, “sell outs, biker ballads, lost their metal” etc, and although I was a massive fan of Kill Em All, etc, I thought Reload was a tremendous album, but pretended it was bad at the time to fit in with the cool, older nerds.

It’s still a fucking mint album.

#BringBackDownVotes

I’d say it’s weaker than Load, but it’s still fine for what it is. How anyone could say they’d sold out after The Black Album had already had half a decade of mainstream success, Christ even ...And Justice For All charted at #6 on the Billboard 200 and was on the chart for 83 weeks (until it was beaten by the first McMahon v Austin), just shows what a bunch of narrow-minded fuckwits metal fans can be.

Its been said on here many times before, as recently as the Deftones talk a couple of months, but fans often can’t see past what the band were when they first got into them, when in reality the band is 15 years older than they were and don’t necessarily have the same outlook on things that they once did.

Its this tribal/gatekeeping mentality that a lot of fans have. I got into Metallica around the time of Reload too, that was my starting point, so listening to the older stuff was like discovering an entirely different band, but I liked both. It’s fine to like different eras of a band.

Load is my favourite Metallica album by a country mile and I'm finding more and more people that like that particular era of the band. The fact Hetfield had been hanging out with Pepper Keenan absolutely shines through in all the Southern/ country elements and it makes for two albums that are perfect for blasting in the car. Load is definitely stronger than Reload but can you imagine if they'd used the best of both records for one album? Would have been spectacular.