The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

No i'm the solo metalcore vocalist.....I am also in a new band that will be releasing music in January (touch wood). 
Over the years it used to really piss me off being called a karaoke singer or whatever but i've heard it so much now it just doesn't effect me anymore. 

what on earth is a solo metalcore vocalist?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’d say it’s weaker than Load, but it’s still fine for what it is. How anyone could say they’d sold out after The Black Album had already had half a decade of mainstream success, Christ even ...And Justice For All charted at #6 on the Billboard 200 and was on the chart for 83 weeks (until it was beaten by the first McMahon v Austin), just shows what a bunch of narrow-minded fuckwits metal fans can be.

Its been said on here many times before, as recently as the Deftones talk a couple of months, but fans often can’t see past what the band were when they first got into them, when in reality the band is 15 years older than they were and don’t necessarily have the same outlook on things that they once did.

Its this tribal/gatekeeping mentality that a lot of fans have. I got into Metallica around the time of Reload too, that was my starting point, so listening to the older stuff was like discovering an entirely different band, but I liked both. It’s fine to like different eras of a band.

It’s a very different sound to the early stuff. Ride the Lightening was fast as fuck with lots of fuzz, and as I say, I was a big fan of that Metallica era, I found them around 92-93’ish and loved everything they did. 
I did understand the point that some fans were saying, that it was very different, but the idea that it was shit just didn’t sit well. 
I think the late 90’s, found out a way to market metal to the masses in an acceptable way, through games and movie franchises.

I wonder if the new Metallica sound had been the soundtrack for a cult/underground movie, rather than a mainstream cheese action flick, would those fans have been as vocal about their displeasure? 
In other words, did they dislike the sound as much as they claim because it was a different sounding Metallica, or did they dislike it because generic Kevin who works with them in Asda had just been to seen MI:2 and was humming Metallica tunes along with Tori Amos? 
Probs a bit of both, bet I bet the latter had much more to do with it than they’d admit.

I love most of the albums on that list. Top tier nu metal is bags of fun. Sod the WWE overexposure of gradually descending in novelty, copycat bands.

One of the better local gigs I was ever at was a tribute to nu metal, done as a charity fundraiser. A vast improvement on the endless doom bands we'd get play down these parts of the potato isle. There was a rammed pit, someone pulling double duty as both Fred Durst and Marilyn Manson, and during that POD song my friend Dave started screaming "I feel so alive, for the very first time, and I think I could fry and egg and two sausages" in perfect harmony with the guitar bit on that chorus. 

It's crazy to see the longevity of bands like Korn, and seeing them actually move up on festival bills. Still the smelliest looking band on the planet. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

I can't wait for that. Literally been counting down the days. Unfortunately Mike Patton has said he doesn't think they will record any new material. Still I live in hope.

44 minutes ago, DEF said:

I can't wait for that. Literally been counting down the days. Unfortunately Mike Patton has said he doesn't think they will record any new material. Still I live in hope.

I’ve a few buddies who are proper metal heads and they’ve absolutely loved this recent Mr Bungle material.

I think this will be very well received .

• Paid Members
On 10/27/2020 at 3:04 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I think because I’m slightly older I always hated nu metal. That and it’s shit. 

yeh, if i was 35 at the time id probably have a completely different opinion but I was 15/16 at the time of its pomp and it made perfect sense to my juvenile ears.