The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

11 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I haven’t listened to Ultra Monk yet but Joy As An Act of Resistance is probably my favourite record of the past decade. A proper landmark piece of work. 

Yeah, it's a cracker and this one, I think, is just as strong. Reigns having a Slipknot-esque chorus absolutely threw me, but it was lovely nonetheless. 

The new Svalbard album came out yesterday and it's a great shoegaze infused bit of post-hardcore, they've gone in a much poppier direction without losing any intensity and the lyrics are as powerful as ever. If Idles think they're "feminist" they need to listen to Serena sing and scream a bit.

I like that they got Kenny Beats on their album tho, he's a good lad.

Edited by Merzbow

3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The new Svalbard album came out yesterday and it's a great shoegaze infused bit of post-hardcore, they've gone in a much poppier direction without losing any intensity and the lyrics are as powerful as ever. If Idles think they're "feminist" they need to listen to Serena sing and scream a bit.

Missed that that came out, will give it a bash later.

On your Idles comment, I don't want to defend them or what they have to say, they can do that themselves, but if a group of white cis men encourage the idea of 'feminism' within their music/activism, isn't that a good thing? And yes I get the irony of white cis men talking about feminism, it's not lost on me.

I enjoy their music, and they're great live, but I don't take my cues from them as a 35 year old man, but anything that encourages exploring a subject matter further is a good thing, IMO. 

I know that when I was younger, and listening to pop-punk/nu metal which was fairly misogynistic and then hearing/reading about RATM and what they stood for, was a massive wake up call*

What they said in that recent NME interview was fucking stupid, and I'm glad they've addressed that with their supports for their next tour. Would that have happened without that backlash? No idea as I have no idea how fast it takes to put a tour together.

If I was 15 and loved that band and saw them talking about feminism,  or toxic masculinity or mental health/anxiety it would definitely have grabbed my attention. 

*Obviously Idles are nowhere near RATM and I still listen to incredibly misogynistic music.

I got round to listening to Ohms by Deftones and while I like it I was a bit disappointed.

As much as I love Terry Date and his production on White Pony (which has probably my favourite drum sound ever) he was not the right fit for this record. It had good songs but it seemed to lack the signature snappy drums, atmosphere and huge in your face guitars. I’d much rather they’d got back Nick Raskulinecz who did Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yakan. His production style would have worked really well. This one just doesn’t have that Terry Date signature sound which is all over White Pony. I would never have guessed he made it if I hadn’t already known. 

Hot and up to date takes from some albums I've listened/re-listened to this weekend:

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness

First time listening to this, and I've never been a big fan to be honest (I once chose to see New Found Glory over their Reading headline set one year). Fucking cracking album. Took a break in the middle for an hour or so, as double albums are stupid, but I really enjoyed this a lot. Zero is such a tune.

Manic Street Preachers - Generation Terrorists

Belting, but again way too long.  One of my all time favourite live songs is You Love Us, so that always makes this album even better.

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Still, one of the darkest albums of all time, and just very oppressing. Love it though, and I still get a thrill at Bradfield fitting all those words into the chorus of Yes.

Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go

One of the most triumphant albums ever for me, as they could've easily called it a day. Kevin Carter still bangs.

Radiohead - Kid A

Again, never been a massive fan but always enjoyed what I've listened to and love The Bends, and have been making more of an effort with trying new albums and saw it was an anniversary the other day, so wanted to give it a go.

Listened to it on a walk this morning at around 8 in the pissing rain, saw one other person in that whole time and I felt like I was in a dystopian sci-fi film. Fucking loved it. Had to have a sit down and a fag during How To Disappear Completely. Gone up to my favourite album of theirs, and excited to give Amnesia a bash.

Next week I discover Shed Seven and work through Mansuns discography.

Not that any of you younguns would care but former WCW booker Bob Mould’s new album is fucking incredible. Part Sugar, part Husker Du. Angriest he’s been for a while!

Edited by Keith Houchen

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Not that any of you younguns would care but former WCW booker Bob Mould’s new album is fucking incredible. Part Sugar, part Husker Du. Angriest he’s been for a while!

I really enjoyed his last record, Sunshine Rock, that he released a couple of years ago. 

SUMAC's new album May You Be Held is pretty fucking good, even more influenced by sometime collaborator Keiji Haino than ever and diving into proggier territories. It's amazing how it flows from the most vicious sludge metal to minimalist noise to free jazz without it ever feeling jarring, Kurt Ballou's mixing surely helps.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Still, one of the darkest albums of all time, and just very oppressing. Love it though, and I still get a thrill at Bradfield fitting all those words into the chorus of Yes.

Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go

One of the most triumphant albums ever for me, as they could've easily called it a day. Kevin Carter still bangs.

Highly recommed Riot Act's deep dive into those two records if you're fan. They cover the bands history but it focusses primarily on those two records, its a great listen over two parts (close to 6 hours in all).

Part 1 is free in their podcast feed, part 2 is on patreon.

• 3 weeks later...

Architects sneaked a new song out and it absolutely bangs, as the kids say. That is a huge chorus and the next album will surely make them festival headliners everywhere.

Have a lot of time for them, their last album was a massively triumphant statement after their tragedy and Sam is the fittest man in rock.

Enjoyed those Manic reviews @SuperBacon. I've always had a soft spot for them. Even the daft bits. They've had such an interesting progression from Richie's years, to superstardom, to bloated dad rock and back again to slightly more avant garde stuff. Or as avant garde as they can get through that lens of Welsh ordinariness they've never been able to shake, which adds to the fun.

In a sense it's Depeche Mode all over again. You've got some pretty subversive material snuck into spangly pop tunes, everything's taken rather seriously, and about half the British music press at the time don't know what to do with it and deride the pretentious honesty of it all. 

Songs like Yes and Faster are fucking hilarious because it's James Dean Bradfield losing his shit trying to keep up with Richey's manic (hiyo!) lyrics. And if you're not into the albums they probably have one of the better greatest hits roll call of singles ever. 

That bit of Kid A where the National Anthem transitions into How to Disappear Completely is one of the best album bits ever. 

• Paid Members
On 10/20/2020 at 9:09 PM, Gay as FOOK said:

And if you're not into the albums they probably have one of the better greatest hits roll call of singles ever. 

i went to the show at the o2 in 2011 when they played 38 of the fuckers in a row, brilliant night.

I really loved Know Your Enemy as an album as well. In fact, it probably gets in my top 3 🙃

Julien Baker is back with a new song, typically lovely, and a full band album in the new year. Prefer it now whilst my SAD kicks in, but I'll forgive her.

One of the best artists of the last 5 years, this performance is one of the best vocal performances ever for me. Goosebumps every time.