The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

In yet more shitty 2020 news, Mark Kozelek of Red House Painters and Sun Kil Moon has been accused by three women of sexual misconduct. I'm absolutely gutted by this. He's responsible for some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. This comes on a week where I've been listening to his music just about every day and reading his latest book. He's always had a bit of a rep for being a bit of a grouchy arsehole but I hoped that's all he was. I've spent the week thinking he comes off really well in this book and that people have him all wrong. Oh dear. I guess, yet again, it just shows how somebody appears and how they really are are two very different things. 

5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

2020 is saved as the best band in the world return with a banger. Wasn't expecting an almost stoner rock riff from this, but I am very pleased with it.

What a surprise - I didn't know about this. Deftones have not been on my radar since White Pony, but this is catchy.

24 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

What a surprise - I didn't know about this. Deftones have not been on my radar since White Pony, but this is catchy.

They've had 5 incredible albums since then, Koi No Yokan probably being my favourite.

I honestly think they're the best band in the world. 

52 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

They've had 5 incredible albums since then, Koi No Yokan probably being my favourite.

I honestly think they're the best band in the world. 

I give that award to Rise Against. But I'm going to go back and have a listen to some Deftones. 

• Paid Members
On 8/21/2020 at 9:31 PM, MPDTT said:

as criticically acclaimed as most of Deftones' catalogue is, the impression i always get is that most of the fanbase checked out after White Pony.

I don’t know, the self-titled album did pretty well and Gore charted at #5 over here. Like a lot of bands, they had a bit of a lull when they experimented a bit. Sometimes you get fans back after a while with the new sound, a lot of times you don’t. Fans a lot of the time don’t want change, but  they never seem to account for these bands being 20 years older than they were when they first got into them. They’re different people now, and with that comes a different outlook on things, and more often than not a desire to try different things

Ive never been a massive Deftones fan, I’ve seen them a couple of times at festivals and found them pretty boring* and put that down to them just not being for me, but if they’re trying new things I’m willing to give it a go.

* the last time I saw them was 10 years ago, so is in no way indicative of how the band are these days.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

33 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

as criticically acclaimed as most of Deftones' catalogue is, the impression i always get is that most of the fanbase checked out after White Pony.

I dunno about that. They seemed to have a massive resurgence when they released Diamond Eyes. 

During the recording of Saturday Night Wrist they were on the verge of breaking up. They had all fallen out with each other, Chino was deep into drink and drugs and they recorded the album in separate studios because they could be around each other anymore. Then Chi was in that accident and fell into the coma and I think it gave them all a massive kick up the arse and put everything into perspective for them all. It really showed in the music too. They sounded like a new band with a fire in their belly. 

People hadn’t been talking about Deftones that much for about ten years, when White Pony came out. It was really a new era for them. 

43 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

People hadn’t been talking about Deftones that much for about ten years, when White Pony came out. It was really a new era for them. 

Did you mean White Pony, as that came out 3 years after Around The Fur, one of the biggest albums of that time.

Edit: ignore me, I've read it wrong and missed the comma. 

Edited by SuperBacon
shove it

• Paid Members

yeh, i agree with all that. Id wager that the Around the Fury/White Pony stuff still gets the best reactions live though. I know its not the ideal guage either but the top 5 tracks on spotify are all from those records. Like Sheepmask said, some fans just love a band as a teen or whatever and just stick to those records, its why full album anniversary tours do great business.

• Paid Members

you may be right, the last time i saw Deftones headline their own show was in '98 😄 i did have tickets to the Wembley Arena show around Gore time though but it got cancelled after the Bataclan shooting 😔

great band.