The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

This is probably the best place for it but I listened to Hayley Williams new solo record, Petals For Armor, and really enjoyed it surprisingly.

I've never been a Paramore fan but maybe that's why I liked it as it sounds nothing like them which is great. It massively rips off people like St. Vincent and Christine & The Queens but it you're going to rip anyone off, you might as well go for two of the best in the game at the minute.

Really enjoyable, honest, raw and forward-thinking pop music that's straight from the heart. It's the kind of album Alanis Morrisette should be making in 2020 rather than what she is churning out right now.

I can imagine the 14 year-old Paramore fangirls being really torn by the album as it's their beloved Hayley, but they just don't get it because it's quite left field for a pop record.

I think it's really rude that Hayley Williams hasn't fallen in love with me yet to be honest. Like REALLY rude.

Fantastic artist, fantastic album. I love her.

Edit: sorry, missed off a bit. It's not a millon miles away from some parts of the last Paramore album, so can't see the last paragraph being that accurate to be honest.

Edited by SuperBacon

It seems to be the in thing to shit on Nirvana but fuck me, they were amazing when they wanted to be. Reminds me a lot of that clip of Hendrix on Lulu's show when he's deliberately putting her off when she's doing a piece to camera and then when it's time to play stop half way through Hey Joe to play Sunshine Of Your Love.

On the subject of Nirvana that Jonathan Ross clip made me go down a rabbit hole and I watched this for the first time in twenty years.

4 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

It seems to be the in thing to shit on Nirvana but fuck me, they were amazing when they wanted to be. Reminds me a lot of that clip of Hendrix on Lulu's show when he's deliberately putting her off when she's doing a piece to camera and then when it's time to play stop half way through Hey Joe to play Sunshine Of Your Love.

On the subject of Nirvana that Jonathan Ross clip made me go down a rabbit hole and I watched this for the first time in twenty years.

The in thing to shit on Nirvana? Really? I don't tend to see this to be honest.

They're rightly revered as one of the most important bands of all time. 

Nirvana went harder than most the the "extreme metal" acts that metalheads who shit on them love, and Bleach is still a better prototype for Sludge Metal than anything King Buzzo wrote*.

*Possibly said for dramatic effect, but that album is still a stone cold classic.

Edited by Merzbow

43 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The in thing to shit on Nirvana? Really? I don't tend to see this to be honest.

They're rightly revered as one of the most important bands of all time. 

Yeah, seems to be one of those metal elitist things, probably because they got bigger than their favourite obscure grunge band but mainly because of how they're a big gateway band for a lot of teenagers discovering heavier music.

6 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

They're a big gateway band for a lot of teenagers discovering heavier music.

They are the band that got me into heavier music as a kid. Seeing this as an 11 year old boy blew my mind.

Especially after their terrible version of the song on TOTP.

4 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Yeah, seems to be one of those metal elitist things, probably because they got bigger than their favourite obscure grunge band but mainly because of how they're a big gateway band for a lot of teenagers discovering heavier music.

Which is exactly what they’ll have been for those same elitists, same as the people who say Metallica peaked at No Life Till Leather.

1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Which is exactly what they’ll have been for those same elitists, same as the people who say Metallica peaked at No Life Till Leather.

Definitely. I see them as a big cornerstone for me. I was listening to a lot of my dad's music (Queen, Sabbath,early Genesis, Zeppelin) as a kid and then 14 year old me heard Nevermind and it all went downhill from there.

• Paid Members

Hearing Nevermind for the first time in the 90's at around age 14 was life altering shit. The eliteists will rag it because of its popularity, but if you had only heard pop music and mainstream radio rock at the time and you heard Smells Like Teen Spirit kick in it was just mindblowing. 

Weirdly, I was never a massive Nirvana fan when i was younger, despite being blown away by the sound of Nevermind. Until recently the only actual album i owned was the b-sides record Incesticide, and I only had that because my dad randomly bought me it when Xmas. 

Nearly every kid i knew and hung around with had a Nirvana phase though as a teenager. Even mates who had zero interest in rock music prior or since had a copy of Nevermind or In Utero.

I've realised recently that there are lots of 'classic' albums that I've maybe only heard a few songs from rather than the whole album or some bands where I've heard a Greatest Hits album but nothing else. In an effort to rectify this I've been working my way through this list recently: https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-50-best-rock-albums-ever

Obviously any list is subjective but having checked out a few different ones that one felt like it had a decent mix and was reader voted too. 

I've listened to numbers 50 - 38 so far so will post some brief thoughts on each either later tonight or tomorrow. 

Edited by Divorced Dad

Thoughts on the first 10 albums on that list. It was a mixed bag for me, some I've listened to already, some I hated and some j loved. 

50. The Clash - London Calling.
This is one I've listened to before and am a big fan of. I grew up listening to The Clash thanks to my Dad and bought my own copy of this when I was about 13 as his was usually playing in the car. Absolutely fantastic album in my opinion, touches on so many different genres but still feels like a Clash album.

49. Metallica - Ride the Lightning.
Metallica were a band I first got into around the time St Anger was released which I realise isn't the best intro to the band. I'd only previously heard a couple of songs from this (Creeping Death and For Whom the Bell Tolls) but thought this whole album was brilliant from start to finish. The acoustic intro to 'Fight Fire With Fire' lulls you into a false sense of security before the album grabs you and doesn't let up for its duration.

48. AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
AC/DC are very much for a Greatest Hits band and this album did nothing to change that. There are obvious highlights like the title track but there are others that for me left no lasting impression and blended into the track before or after.

47. Radiohead - OK, Computer
I'll admit Radiohead are a band I've never really listened to. I heard 'Creep' years ago, thought it was utter wank and never bothered to listen to anything else. That being said I actually really enjoyed this, listened to this one wearing headphones and ended up just closing my eyes and listening to it with no distractions.

46. Led Zeppelin - II
Thought this was really good. Much shorter than I expected it to be for some reason. Lots of meaty guitar riffs to get stuck into while maintaining that bluesy feel too.

45. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.
I'm a big Iron Maiden fan (again thanks to my Dad) so this is one I've heard before. Its not my favourite Maiden album but it's still a really good one.

44. The Who - Who's Next.
The Who are a band who I've listened to a Greatest Hits of and enjoyed and who I've heard about their reputation etc but never listened to a full album. This was a good first album of theirs to listen to. It had a few songs I already knew and lots I didn't but ended up liking and singing along to by the time the song had finished.

43. The Who - Quadrophenia.
Another album by The Who here and in contrast to the previous album I thought this was utter shite. Completely overblown pretentious shite.

42. Nirvana - Nevermind
Again one I'm already familiar with and a big fan of. For me it's not Nirvana's best album as I think both Bleach and In Utero are far better but this was obviously their most important. As soon as that opening riff of 'Smells like Teen Spirit' kicks in you can tell this is going to be something special. Personal favourite track would probably be 'Drain You'

41. Van Halen - Van Halen
A band I've heard a few songs from but not an album. 'Running with the Devil' is one of my favourite songs to run to and that guitar solo on 'Eruption' is among the best I've ever heard.