The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Had a skim through that list from the link you posted. It’s a very predictable, safe list, partly because it’s reader voted and readers vote for the same things over & over, but there’s a few on there that I’m looking forward to reading your review for

I went with a safer list to start with (as I've heard of all the bands on it and heard songs by most) but will probably work my way through others too when I've got the time. 

• Paid Members
On 5/21/2020 at 7:17 PM, Merzbow said:

My current way of finding classics I may have missed is using the charts feature on rateyourmusic, select a decade/year and a genre and just go through stuff.

i'll try that

• Paid Members

Metal Hammer had a very generic top 50 Metal Bands of all time list in this months issue. It was very much the usual suspects filling the list, but they inexplicably had Burgerkill at #14 though! eh?

Next ten from that list:

40. Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
I'm familiar with most Beach Boys singles and thought this was just okay. It was an enjoyable listen but there was nothing that jumped out and grabbed me. Probably won't listen to it ever again.

39. Metallica - ... And Justice For All
As much as I enjoyed' Ride The Lightning' I didn't really like this. Something about it just didn't click for me. Musically there was nothing wrong with it, the songs were decent but it just didn't click for me.

38. Megadeth - Rust in Peace.
The only Megadeth song I'd heard before this was 'Symphony of Destruction' which is a song I quite like. I really liked this though, I know Megadeth are part of the Thrash Metal big 4 but this sounds completely different to Metallica to me. Not the biggest fan of Dave Mustaines voice. Really liked the guitars on this.

37. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
This is another album that I'm familiar with as Fleetwood Mac are one of my favourite bands. Could honestly listen to this over and over again and not get bored of it. It's just that good. 

36. Kiss - Alive!
The opening to the album announces Kiss as 'the hottest band in the land' and its hard to argue with that when listening to this. You can hear the attitude and swagger coming through the speakers. Loved this. 

35. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Bowies finest album in my opinion. Absolutely perfect from beginning to end. 

34. Slayer - Reign in Blood
I liked this. At times it almost felt like a hardcore punk album to me and not a metal album. Listened to this while breaking up some pallets for a project and it was a good soundtrack for that. 

33. Rush - 2112
This was an interesting one in that there were parts I loved and parts I hated, often within the same song. I don't know if it would grow on me with a second listen but for now I'm not sure about it. 

32. Queensryche - Operation:Mindcrime
A band I've heard of but never listened to before. This was enjoyable but there was nothing about it for me that made it stand out from any other Heavy Metal band or album out there. 

31. Iron Maiden - Powerslave.
I'm a big Maiden fan so have heard most of their albums before. This was released right in the middle of that 80s run where they released banger after banger. The length and intricacy of some of the songs is incredible. 

• Paid Members

If anyones into old bootleg footage of the late 90's/early 00's, you can do a lot worse than by subscribing to the Liberated Tape Archive on youtube. They are uploading tons of old VHS ripped concerts, there's some shoddy quality there but dig through and there's some proper gold. Great stuff.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

If anyones into old bootleg footage of the late 90's/early 00's, you can do a lot worse than by subscribing to the Liberated Tape Archive on youtube. They are uploading tons of old VHS ripped concerts, there's some shoddy quality there but dig through and there's some proper gold. Great stuff.

That's awesome. I love that stuff cheers. There's another one I sub to called Old School VHS

56 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

hate5six is another goldmine for shows too. Plus they link to shows from similar bands in the description which is a god send

https://www.youtube.com/user/hate5six/videos

If anyone has an interest in audio bootlegs, I have an online list. Old school heavy rock/metal, original punk, indie & pop. Made up of; soundboard recordings, audience tapings, rehearsals, studio demo's etc. Message me if you'd like a look. I've no objection to sharing some, as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Edited by KingofSports

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Cheers for posting this. 

That's me firing straight into the Andrew WK camcorder footage from 2003. Love it. 

• Paid Members

Its a brilliant channel, all set at the time just before mobile phones came in and ruined gigs forever. Don't get me wrong, I still love a gig as much as anyone but no one can tell me that there was not a different energy to rock concerts before they came about.

Proper time capsule stuff, nostalgia kick for me. Alot of those bands are still going but live footage from the period highlighted is scarce. I saw a lot of the bands at the same time and seeing the videos brings tons of memories flooding back, i love it.