Sign in to follow this  
Egg Shen

The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

On 3/26/2020 at 6:19 PM, DEF said:

Nine Inch Nails have released two new albums and have made them free to download on their website.

Ghosts V: Together and Ghosts VI: Locusts

Great stuff! Nothing like a bit of Trent Reznor to cheer you up in the bleakest of times! 

I found out an interesting thing is that Rammstein is officially considered to be industrial metal, which does belong to heavy metal category sorta. But the guys themselves don't consider their music to be heavy, they call it metal blues or something

15 minutes ago, Wild_Skelliger said:

I found out an interesting thing is that Rammstein is officially considered to be industrial metal, which does belong to heavy metal category sorta. But the guys themselves don't consider their music to be heavy, they call it metal blues or something

Anything with electronic elements tends to get lumped with the Industrial tag, same way any band that had anything close to resembling a rap was considered a nu-metal band at the turn of the century. It’s  usually done by journalists who can’t be arsed to do any research, like how they’ll just make up a genre (sprog-core anyone?) when they’re faced with describing something that doesn’t fit into what they already know

As you can probably tell, I’m not a fan of music journalists 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

There's a specific rhythmic style associated with industrial that Rammstein definitely do, are they always industrial, not really. They definitely have their heavy moments, they're similar to something like System Of A Down in that regard that they can do the mad experimental shit and still sound like Rammstein.

4 hours ago, Wild_Skelliger said:

I found out an interesting thing is that Rammstein is officially considered to be industrial metal

By whom, and how does it make it official?  Is there a musical genre committee who make full and final decisions that the band can appeal?

Rammstein are definitely in their own little thing away from Industrial Metal, NDH or whatever that little German genre is. They're much closer to electro/dance music.

Industrial is a fucked genre anyway, you get vastly different sounds under the same umbrella and that's even before you get to the many subgenres.

A mate of mine just put this out and I like it quite a bit.

I quite enjoyed that.

If we're going to pimp our mates' bands, my bros in Live Burial have just put out their second album. Old school Death Metal that doesn't fall into the trap of being derivative and formulaic.

Watched that documentary about Fat Wreck Chords the other day. Was pretty good but Fat Mike is such a prick. 

1 hour ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

I quite enjoyed that.

If we're going to pimp our mates' bands, my bros in Live Burial have just put out their second album. Old school Death Metal that doesn't fall into the trap of being derivative and formulaic.

Heh small world, I know their guitarist from way back when I was at uni. Good stuff indeed. 

11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Watched that documentary about Fat Wreck Chords the other day. Was pretty good but Fat Mike is such a prick. 

I used to really like Epitaph Records and that whole punk scene when I was a teenager but NOFX were the one band I couldn't get into because of Fat Mike coming across as such an insufferable cunt.

On 4/11/2020 at 12:48 PM, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Heh small world, I know their guitarist from way back when I was at uni. Good stuff indeed. 

I assume you mean Richard? Small world indeed, he's dropping me an amp off tomorrow (from an acceptable distance of course).