The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

38 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Been playing an Aussie punk band called The Chats on repeat today after finding them in the latest 2000 Trees announcement. Really liking their sound, worth a checking out for people looking for a new band. 

The video for Smoko seemed to be fucking everywhere in 2017. Their album came out today. Saw them on tour just before Christmas and I feel like they've blown up way faster than they can properly handle. They were playing the main academy room and seemed completely out of their depth. Good band though but they really suit tiny dingy venues rather than the massive rooms they're playing.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

The video for Smoko seemed to be fucking everywhere in 2017. Their album came out today. Saw them on tour just before Christmas and I feel like they've blown up way faster than they can properly handle. They were playing the main academy room and seemed completely out of their depth. Good band though but they really suit tiny dingy venues rather than the massive rooms they're playing.

And based off that sentence, as you can guess they've put them on the outdoor main stage this year, rather than one of the tents where Dune Rats absolutely ripped the place apart last year.

That new Code Orange record is bang average. I don't get the hype at all. There's some decent songs in there but the over-the-top production really distracts from it. I can imagine they'd sound better live though. I quite like the Dillinger Escape Plan-esque bits when it goes slow and quiet.

15 minutes ago, Wild_Skelliger said:

I found out an interesting thing is that Rammstein is officially considered to be industrial metal, which does belong to heavy metal category sorta. But the guys themselves don't consider their music to be heavy, they call it metal blues or something

Anything with electronic elements tends to get lumped with the Industrial tag, same way any band that had anything close to resembling a rap was considered a nu-metal band at the turn of the century. It’s  usually done by journalists who can’t be arsed to do any research, like how they’ll just make up a genre (sprog-core anyone?) when they’re faced with describing something that doesn’t fit into what they already know

As you can probably tell, I’m not a fan of music journalists 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

There's a specific rhythmic style associated with industrial that Rammstein definitely do, are they always industrial, not really. They definitely have their heavy moments, they're similar to something like System Of A Down in that regard that they can do the mad experimental shit and still sound like Rammstein.

4 hours ago, Wild_Skelliger said:

I found out an interesting thing is that Rammstein is officially considered to be industrial metal

By whom, and how does it make it official?  Is there a musical genre committee who make full and final decisions that the band can appeal?