Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Members
Posted

@Kaz Hayashi that was my first year too. A belter for sure.

With Rage and RTJ on the Sunday, I’ll definitely be going for the day. Gonna take the kids as they get in free and I’m sure they won’t be embarrassed by their 35 year old Dad screaming “All of which are American dreams” in a field full of teenagers.

”It was soooo much better in my day”...so was everything. That’s a good line up if you like those bands and artists, same as literally every festival in the history of existence. 

Posted (edited)

I’ve not been to Leeds since 2008, not in some sort of “it were better in my day” protest or anything, but just through how much the direction of the lineup has changed. If your into those acts announced then fair play, but i’d struggle to identify 95% of them if they were stood next to me. Gerry Cinnamon is a subheadliner (based on that announcement, he might drop down as more are announced), who the fuck is Gerry Cinnamon?

@wordsfromlee - what’s meltdown about?

and what the fuck is “dark fruits twitter”?

Edited by WyattSheepMask
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Reading/Leeds just went into a different direction to survive. With the addition of Download regular, plus other festivals like Bloodstock, Slam Dunk, Sonisphere all that shit it just adapted to cater to a different audience, same as V Festival did a few years back. Anyone complaining about the lack of rock/metal is missing the point really.

That said, Rage Against the Machine look massively out of place on that bill. Surely a Download headlining slot was the way to go over here? Still, it'll probably be broadcast on TV live now won't it? That'll do me.

Edited by Egg Shen
Posted

It's a weird old lineup this year but it's a clever choice to get them on there, especially with RTJ being the touring support, than say Download because it'll convince a bunch of folk that were already going to Donnington to fork out for at least a day ticket to Leeds or Reading.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

@wordsfromlee - what’s meltdown about?

and what the fuck is “dark fruits twitter”?

The fact that it was a “goth” band announced as the headliner and not Travis Scott or or an Oasis reunion.  
 

Dark fruits Twitter is apparently the corner of twitter inhabited by what seems to be the new generation of LADS! LADS! LADS! Seemingly also known as Fiat 500 Twitter.

 

Edited by wordsfromlee
  • Members
Posted
6 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I don’t begrudge them going ina different direction, just saying that it’s not for me anymore, but that’s also because I’m not 20 years old anymore

Exactly. It’s as if Reading doesn’t exactly cater to people in their 30-40s. I’m gonna have a wicked time there but I have no idea who most of the acts are and I’m fine with that. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

yep, that too. I went to Reading/Leeds every year between the ages of 17-24, and i went on a mini bus full of other 17-24 year olds, you cant exactly get annoyed when you get older and find out that the festival is still rammed full of people that age. 

Edited by Egg Shen
  • Paid Members
Posted

I used to go to Leeds for the weekend regularly. More recently we've just got day tickets. Given their day tickets are cheaper than other fests you'll find the audience changes depending on the headliner. In recent(ish) years, when we went on the Metallica, Green Day & RHCP days the crowd was largely 30's & 40's (as you'd expect). I don't know about Reading but in my experience the whole 'R&L is for kids' ting doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. I'd expect the RATM day this year to be exactly the same.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Yeh id imagine the day sales for RATM will probably lead to there being a different kind of audience on the day, especially as its their only UK dates.

One thing said about the age thing at Reading/Leeds, the young demographic meant the campsite was insane, i dunno how it is now but back when i went it was like a battlefield. Never experienced anything like that at any other festival ive attended and nor would i want to be in the middle of it again. 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeh id imagine the day sales for RATM will probably lead to there being a different kind of audience on the day, especially as its their only UK dates.

One thing said about the age thing at Reading/Leeds, the young demographic meant the campsite was insane, i dunno how it is now but back when i went it was like a battlefield. Never experienced anything like that at any other festival ive attended and nor would i want to be in the middle of it again. 

I went to Y Not Festival a few years ago (the year it got called off mid-way through due to the weather making it dangerous) and it was like World War 3 in the campsites. I remember going to festivals in my late teens and early twenties and the campsites being a bit rough and ready but nowhere near what it was there. Really started to feel my age seeing all these kids off their tits on pills whilst blasting Catfish And The Bottlemen like some post-apocalyptic indie disco.

18 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

“TROLLEY! TROLLEY! TROLLEY! TROLLEY!”

"TIMMMMYYYYYY!"

Edited by cobra_gordo
Posted

I remember being at Leeds the year the toilets were set on fire and the company were barred from using that site again (2004?). 

It got pretty scary at on the last night. Ice cream vans on their roof, I saw a bunch of lads somehow managed to snap one of those telegraph poles, a bonfire of tents at least 8 meter wide, a lad walking past use with 6 camp stove gas canisters duct tapped together. It was like Platoon…probably.  

  • Paid Members
Posted

Just to clear up my point when I said the event looks shit, it’s purely down to the fact that on paper, to me, it looks utterly shit. There were numerous utterly shit years/line ups when I was still young, so my point isn’t about now vs then, or age, it’s about my taste. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
9 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I remember being at Leeds the year the toilets were set on fire and the company were barred from using that site again (2004?). 

It got pretty scary at on the last night. Ice cream vans on their roof, I saw a bunch of lads somehow managed to snap one of those telegraph poles, a bonfire of tents at least 8 meter wide, a lad walking past use with 6 camp stove gas canisters duct tapped together. It was like Platoon…probably.  

I think all of that bull shit started at 2000. There was a fucking huge gathering of people around the fire bogs, with 1 security guard looking absolutely bewildered, who then decided the best course of action was to rugby tackle a young lass.

That went down well.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...