The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

I had a listen to Black Stallion, the White Pony remix album and it's very mixed. Some of the tracks are brilliant. Like Purity Rings' remix of Knife Prty is cool, as is Mike Shinoda's Passenger, Salva's version of RX Queen and Squarepushers 10-minute long Pink Maggit remix. Then you have stuff like Robert Smith's version of Teenager which is literally just the original song with the drums removed and a couple of piano chords over the top. The shit ones just seem really lazy, like they're only in it for the cash, where as the good ones seem like actual Deftones fans really giving it some. 

I was really looking forward to DJ Shadow's remix of Digital Bath as I'm a huge Shadow and Digital Bath is one of my favourite Deftones tracks but I was massively underwhelmed. Considering DJ Shadow (along with his stint in UNKLE) was a big player in the trip-hop scene of the mid-90's, and Deftones were massively influenced by trip-hop while making White Pony, I was expecting a lot more. I probably should have had more realistic expectations seeing as DJ Shadow has moved on from that Endtroducing... era of his career, but it would have been so good if he'd gone old school with it.

All in all, the good tracks are great, the shit ones are lazy, dull and usually quite abstract. There isn't much in between. Worth a listen, but I doubt any of it would get much of a re-listen in the future.

I got a White Pony tattoo a few weeks ago and was tempted to incorporate the Black Stallion one in with it somehow due to it being the 20th anniversary, but I'm glad I decided against it now.

Not sure if there's been any previous discussion on them, but I'm absolutely loving Spiritbox. I really hope they release a full album next year. My Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in August 2018. She's not even 60 yet and she's deteriorated massively since the lockdown in March. The video for Spritbox's Constance really hit home for me. It's an amazing collaboration between band and director. 

• 4 weeks later...

Same here, I was massively into Iced Earth when I was at uni and had recently been going back through the backcatalogue. He’s never hidden that he was right wing so him being at the protests isn’t a surprise (I think he was at one in November too) but being amongst the gobshites that stormed the place has put him on the black list