The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Quite a bit out today and have had the chance to listen to a few including the new I Am The Avalanche-DIVE

Always been a massive IATA/Movielife/Vinnie fan, but apart from the singles, Concrete and Tokyo, this is a bit ploddy, which is a shame as I was really looking forward to it. Perfect for the weather though. This will always be the best song they will ever write, so it's always an uphill struggle to better it. 

ManDancing-The Good Sweat

There are points where this could pass for a Dashboard Confessional album, so whether that sentence piques your interest or fills you with dread should tell you whether you will like this album. Personally I thought it was a really nice album, and Stephen Kelly has a hell of a voice.

And finally Seahaven release their first album for 6 years in Halo Of Hurt and it's superb. Sat on a bench with a coffee in the park watching the leaves fall after the morning school run to it (I had fuck all to do today clearly) and it's definitely been released at the right time of the year. Lovely stuff. Standouts are probably I Don't Belong Here and Dandelion

Chamberlain also released a new album, yes that Chamberlain, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but today has been pretty emo/indie/punk so if anyone has any heavier suggestions from the last few weeks, would love to hear them.

Oh, and this made me smile a lot. Absolutely spot on.

Not a particular hot or recent take but The End Of Heartache by Killswitch Engage still absolutely fucks.

Had it blasting out today and it's the best album of it's genre. It was also massive at the time and crossed over a fair bit, and I feel like I saw them every 3 months live over here around this time. Every time was great too. #HowardForever

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this is the right place to put this. One of my hobbies during Covid has been to learn how to record and mix music. I’ve wasted more money than I’d care to admit buying pointless plugins that promised to improve my vocals at the click of a button, and I’ve spent hours fretting over tiny little things that are hardly noticeable, but I’m finally happy with the end product. 

Have a listen here if you’re keen, would love some feedback on what has essentially been an obsession for a number of months.

(It also features many “Tories are cunts” elements, if that entices you further)

• Paid Members
On 11/22/2020 at 2:46 PM, SuperBacon said:

Not a particular hot or recent take but The End Of Heartache by Killswitch Engage still absolutely fucks.

Had it blasting out today and it's the best album of it's genre. It was also massive at the time and crossed over a fair bit, and I feel like I saw them every 3 months live over here around this time. Every time was great too. #HowardForever

Coincidentally, i put on As Daylight Dies the other day. There was a stage a couple of years ago when i couldnt even listen to KSE. The whole thing seemed so played out, and ive never given the newer Jesse Leech stuff much of a chance as a result.

I enjoyed fuck listening to that the other day though, and I was never that big on As Daylight Dies to begin with, always preferred The End of Heartache. Killswitch Engage do that metalcore thing better than anyone else.

Edited by Egg Shen

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Coincidentally, i put on As Daylight Dies the other day. There was a stage a couple of years ago when i couldnt even listen to KSE. The whole thing seemed so played out, and ive never given the newer Jesse Leech stuff much of a chance as a result.

I enjoyed fuck listening to that the other day though, and I was never that big on As Daylight Dies to begin with, always preferred The End of Heartache. Killswitch Engage do that metalcore thing better than anyone else.

Yeah, I love that album too. It's so clean, but still sounds heavy as fuck in places. They really were such a tight live band around that time as well. 

I like Jesse's stuff, but I'm Team Howard all the way. It's genuinely warming to see everyone happy and getting on, and they all respect each others work/history etc. Rarer than it seems. They all seem at peace.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah, I love that album too. It's so clean, but still sounds heavy as fuck in places. They really were such a tight live band around that time as well. 

I like Jesse's stuff, but I'm Team Howard all the way. It's genuinely warming to see everyone happy and getting on, and they all respect each others work/history etc. Rarer than it seems. They all seem at peace.

I got to see them in '04. Some 'New Wave of American Heavy Metal' type thing. KSE, Shadows Fall, God Forbid & Chimaira in the smaller room at Cardiff Uni. fantastic.

• Paid Members

Maybe a little tame for some and this thread, but All Time Low have released a new version of their song Monsters with Demi Lovato featuring and it absolutely works. It adds something to the overall sound just hearing her really go for it. 

May be up some peoples streets if they like their modern day pop rock/pop punk.