The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I'm at some music thing at a maplins camp, I'm not sure who anyone is bar Phil Campbell and Orange Goblin so I'm hoping for some guidance and insight from the UKFF massive.

Last night was:

the Gypsy Pistols (?) who seemed ok but there was a ton of feedback when they were playing

Happy Ubends(?) seemed solid enough, although the bass player looked like Ben Green

South of Saleem. Not really my bag but I thought they were fantastic. 

New Roses(?), who I can't really remember

Black spiders, who were quite good

The Wildhearts, who were great and clearly the most experienced / professional outfit.

So, who the fuck are all these people?

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

Currently on are Ward 16 who are mincing about dressed like humbug mints with faces painted like mimes trying to be all quirky. I googled them but just found pages NHS helpsites listing ward 16s around the country.

Right bunch of shite.

• Paid Members

how can you know who Orange Goblin are, but not know of the Wildhearts?

Black Spiders formed from the ashes of Groop Dogdrill, another quality late 90's no frills UK rock band.

I believe Terrorvision are playing at some point too, great live band.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

how can you know who Orange Goblin are, but not know of the Wildhearts?

I only know who they are because I went to bloodstock to see Saxon and Judas Priest and knew no one else playing outside dimondhead. I really enjoyed them.

I'm not, and never have been, down with popular music unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

believe Terrorvision are playing at some point too, great live band.

They are, again not a clue who the fucks who so thank you for the heads up.

15 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Currently on are Ward 16 who are mincing about dressed like humbug mints with faces painted like mimes trying to be all quirky. I googled them but just found pages NHS helpsites listing ward 16s around the country.

Right bunch of shite.

Ward XVI https://wardxvi.com/

Hope that helps 

• Paid Members
On 11/5/2021 at 2:17 PM, King Mal the Glorious said:

The Wildhearts have been round decades and were canny big in the 90s/2000s. Black Spiders I've heard of in passing and are one of those generic hard rock bands that make it semi-big every few years ala Airbourne and The Answer. Never heard of any of the others.

The Answer! Haven't heard of them for years. Were always good fun though, what are they up to now?

6 hours ago, KJHenley said:

The Answer! Haven't heard of them for years. Were always good fun though, what are they up to now?

Up until 2016 they were putting out an album every other year but haven’t released anything since then. Pretty sure they’ve still been touring in that time though

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

i think The Answer split up and the singer went solo. Cracking throwback style band. A few years back I remember they toured the world with AC/DC then came back and played my local rugby club in front of about 60 people. They had a relationship with a local promoter/festival so played it as a weird leg of their UK tour, it was quality.

Edit* Wiki says they are still together.

More of a random thought than anything but I'm starting to realise that Dehumaizer is my favourite Black Sabbath album. As much as I love the early stuff there's so many gems on it, Dio's vocals are amazing and Iommi's riffs are as good as anything he'd done previously but for some reason it either gets shat on for no reason or just ignored.

Edited by cobra_gordo