What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Isn't the current series of The Walking Dead, the fifth?

I honestly don't know as I don't watch but I know there are people here who do. I just went with what was on the BBC website that I linked
I wasn't saying you were incorrect, sorry if it read that way. I saw the BBC article and noticed it saying Series 5 aswell. With the breaks in between seasons, I have a hard time keeping track of which series it is myself.

Edit: Thanks, Cobystag. That clears that one up.

Edited by Nick James

Yes Better Call Saul has been brilliant. The scene with Mike and the guns in the car park had me howling with laughter.

Is it going to be a one off series?

Speaking of Netflix exclusives I burned through Bloodlines last weekend. It really takes a while to get going but the last few episodes are very good. Ben Mendlesohn is excellent in it (I find he's excellent in everything), almost to the detriment of the show as he's like this supermassive black hole of acting that swallows up everyone else's performances. No one else can live with him, not even Coach Taylor. Worth a throw if you are bed ridden with gastric flu or something. 

• Paid Members

I've been burning through Mad Men recently. Got through season 3-4 and now halfway through season 5 in about two weeks. It's really utterly fantastic in every way. I'm almost constantly amazed at how brilliant it is. For a show where very little actually happens it has you on the edge of your seat constantly. It's the perfect show. It's so consistently funny and heartbreaking.

• Awards Moderator

I've been burning through Mad Men recently. Got through season 3-4 and now halfway through season 5 in about two weeks. It's really utterly fantastic in every way. I'm almost constantly amazed at how brilliant it is. For a show where very little actually happens it has you on the edge of your seat constantly. It's the perfect show. It's so consistently funny and heartbreaking.

That show doesn't get nearly enough love. Utterly fucking fantastic, I love every bit of it.

Have you read the Tom and Lorenzo blog?

What's the timeline like on BCS? I imagine we could easily get a good 5 or 6 series out of it before they get to the Breaking Bad years.

Saul was such a great character because he had a lot of heart beneath the mountains of self interest whilst Walter was descending in to a full on cunt and Jesse was a fuck up who couldn't look after himself. Seeing him without all that self interest and learning why he became that way just makes me love him even more.

That whole bit with Steven Ogg was like a cut scene from GTA, great episode, second only to Mike's backstory.

I'm pretty sure Better Call Saul is set in about 2002, so five or so years before Breaking Bad. Though not entirely sure of how they are going to pace It, considering Breaking Bad happened over one year time wise. It does seem like that won't be the case for Saul though, makes more sense for each season being a year in that universe.

Once again, like others have said, this show is just brilliant. There really isn't much more that needs to be said, I'm enjoying all the new characters whilst learning more about the ones I know. I am itching for when he becomes Saul Goodman, I can't wait to see what they do for that.

As for Mad Men - I remember Chuck Klosterman saying how there are certain people and shows which are their own sort of greatness and they are working on a different level as their competitors and can't really be compared, as they are playing by different rules. He said Mad Men was one of these,

I would agree 100% with that, Mad Men is a show which should probably go down as the greatest of all time. However it won't because of how it's been handled, the final season has barely been advertised and people have sort of forgotten about it.There is a great piece about "what if Mad Men was on HBO", I truly believe if it were people would be discussing it differently.

The show itself is the most beautifully made show I've ever watched. I can never do it justice for how great it is. There are episodes which have left me speechless and feel things that no other show has ever done.

I probably sound like a complete idiot, but honestly this show is something else. It's the show I respect the most, if I were asked which show would I want to be known for making, out of all the great tv shows, Mad Men would be my choice.

• Paid Members

So I've banged on about the silent burglar episode of Inside Number 9 last year and how a generation ago, before multi-channel, multi-platform fragmentation, it would have become a cultural classic like the Germans episode of Fawlty Towers or Christmas Morecambe and Wise, but now most people will never see or hear of it.

Well inifitise that for this week's episode. I don't have the words, other than to say you need to watch it now, unspoiled, and be sure to spoiler tag any comments. It's 30 minutes long and a TV show, but I think it might be the best film I ever watched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05pwfcf/inside-no-9-series-2-2-the-12-days-of-christine

• Paid Members

Disturbing news all over Twitter - first saying that the Twin Peaks revival has been cancelled, and now, even worse:

That it hasn't been cancelled, but David Lynch will not be directing it.