What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Watching House on Netflix. Can't wait for it to end now, I'm 6 seasons in and everything stopped being interesting around season 3. It's essentially the exact same episode on a loop.

I really enjoyed the first few series, but.... I completely lost interest when he got rid of the assistant folk, only to re-hire them. Just why?

• Moderators

Watching House on Netflix. Can't wait for it to end now, I'm 6 seasons in and everything stopped being interesting around season 3. It's essentially the exact same episode on a loop.

Just jack it in. The amount of times I've slogged it out with a show that I was no longer enjoying and it is never worth it...

• Paid Members

Just jack it in. The amount of times I've slogged it out with a show that I was no longer enjoying and it is never worth it...

I did that with Dexter about 4 episodes into the final season.  House isn't anywhere near Dexter levels of shit yet though.

• Paid Members

I'd say stick with House, picks up a bit towards the end of season 7 and season 8 is decent too. Completely agree with you though, the middle seasons are a slog and rely far too much on Hugh Laurie's performances, Robert Sean Leonard (Wilson) is pretty great too.

• Paid Members

I'm thinking of watching all seasons of The Wire. Watched the first 2 episodes and found them to be pretty boring and drawn out.

Should I give it a go? What's so good about it? (It's almost always praised as being one of the best shows)

Definitely stick with the wire, the show grows and grows and you'll become really invested in the characters. It's up there with sopranos as best ever for me.

Just finished the Knick, really enjoyed it. Owen is brilliant and I found the background of surgery etc really fascinating (set around time of introduction of electricity, inventions of X-rays/Hoover, and discovery of more than 1 blood type/using heroin as cough medicine/removing teeth to combat mental behaviour! Not sure if the timeline suits as a lot of stuff happens in a short space of time but still worked for me! Highly recommended

Onto Glue now which seems ok from 1st episode - rizzle kicks guy looks pretty awkward though.

The Legacy lined up after that - anyone seen much?

• Awards Moderator

Stick with The Wire, I've just finished it recently and it really is amazing. I did find the first few episodes of each season a bit slow going but every one of them picks up a little way in (once you've got your head around what's going on) and it's all brilliance from there.

Has anyone watched The Jinx on HBO?

I will put it in spoilers, even though it probably doesn't need to be (what with it being in the news and a famous case.).

Basically it's 6 episodes about Robert Durst and the murders he was alleged to commit. Just go watch it, Like now...

The spoiler is just outlining everything and a bit about the final episode.

I just finished it and it was utterly brilliant, sort of like a tv version of Serial. Though it's gone one step further as Robert Durst was arrested yesterday (the day of the finale) for one of the murders discussed in the series. Apparently the show itself, with the new information brought in, actually played a part in helping the arrest happen. the letter which was found at Susan Berman's house written by Robert Durst which matched the one written to the police was the smoking gun. 

The show profiles and looks at the life of Robert Durst, a super rich real estate mogul, who has been alleged to have killed his ex wife, his friend & also a guy in Texas. The latter of the three he cut up and three into a river, that bit isn't alleged as he happily admits to that.

I urge everyone to check it out, he does an interview throughout and there's footage throughout the years intersected.
It's utterly fascinating to see it and see him just do the interview. The guy has no worries whatsoever, it's amazing to see and damn admirable.

The finale was sensational, Durst is clearly going for an insanity plea. I've seen Primal Fear, I know how it works.
The whispering "you killed them all" and speaking to himself was surely him having evidence for the trial that he has multiple personalities. Pretty clever if there the case.

I too struggle with The Wire. It's not that I don't like it, but it is very slow going in places and I've still never made it past the first few episodes of series 2. I also found that the first series of Mad Men a bit of a struggle but that seemed to find it's feet at the start of series 2. Having said that it's still better than watching Blue Bloods like the wife does and is the same thing every week for six bastard months per series

Edited by WyattSheepMask