What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Has anyone caught that new show from Tina Fey on Netflix, Unbreakable Kelly Schidmt? It's got decent reviews. Thinking of giving it a go since I was such a 30 Rock fan.

I went through all of them at the weekend and bloody loved it.

The humour is comparable to 30 Rock, which isn't surprising. It's just brilliantly written and well done through out. It gets better and better as the episodes go on. Culminating in an absolute excellent final couple of episodes.

I love Tina Fey so I may be blinded by that love, but It's just so good with every episode having some hilarious bits in them.

It actually would have worked better as a full season or even 18 episodes, because it does feel like it needs more time to go from A to B. There are points where it is a bit rushed, but that could be attributed to the fact I watched them all in one sitting.

Anyway this is the long version of me saying it's great. Even if you aren't into it after the first few episodes, it's worth sticking with it for the final few. Well that and the fact the daughter is really hot*. Definitely give it a go when you have a few hours, as they are so easy to rip through.

*I actually had to check to see how old she was in case I had the same taste as Adam Johnson... But luckily she is 20.

Edited by Ron&Hermione

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think it just massively jumped the shark. There was recycled jokes, they were reeling off catchphrases with no rhyme or rhythm, and I was waiting for a big bit that never happened.
I get the feeling it was meant to be so bad it was funny, but it never crossed that line for me; it was just so bad it was bad.

House Of Cards season three was...a slog. Really wasn't up to the standard that seasons 1-2 had set. Far too much Doug, Claire and Remy and not enough Frank being Frank. The Russian president was great, though. I hope Putin is like that in real life.

The only thing I’d disagree with there is that a thought the decline began in the second season. In fact, the further they get from the British version storyline-wise, the more it suffers. It’s really just the fantastic performances from Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright that are keeping it watchable through increasingly dubious stories and scripts.  

Some of that stuff in the final episode with Doug Stamper really stretched the credibility of the show. I’m not sure I can be arsed with another season.

• Paid Members

I'm with you there, Guy. I think I'll wait on reviews for season four before I begin watching it.

Better Call Saul was fantastic this week. Jonathan Banks was just great. I'm somehow still amazed that this show has turned out so well.

Better Call Saul was fantastic this week. Jonathan Banks was just great. I'm somehow still amazed that this show has turned out so well.

I'm already enjoying it more than I did the early days of Breaking Bad. What a brilliant episode of TV it was this week. One of those episodes where you almost forget it is actually just a TV show.

Lawyer.

Lawyer.

Lawyer.

Lawyer.

Better Call Saul has been bloody brilliant like others have said. With the most recent episode just breathtaking.

I never really worried about the show being good mainly because it seemed like Vince Gilligan spent a year working on it, understanding completely where to go with it. Apparently they also have a massive list of every character and every scenario from Breaking Bad which they can tie into Better Call Saul, to make a complete universe.

This episode was a testament to that. As a stand alone episode it's definitely up there with the best of Breaking Bad, but it now adds so much more to Mike's character and how he is in that show.

Better Call Saul is starting to remind me of that massive Game Of Thrones history book that came out last year. On its own its a masterpiece which is brilliant & can be enjoyed Solely, but it also adds to a new dimension & increases the greatness of Breaking Bad as well.

The fact we know where this is heading doesn't at all make me less excited, in fact it's the opposite. I can't wait to see how Jimmy turns into Saul and how things unfold.

Moving onto House of Cards, it felt like a train wreck for half of the season. I definitely agree, in that I only watch because the performances are great.

One of the podcasts I listen to mentioned that because of the Netflix model means that you don't have to wait each week, it's much easier to have your season opener focus on bloody Doug in physiotherapy, without worrying the audience are going to get annoyed.

The show definitely benefits from the ability to binge watch them, if it was one episode a week then I would have stopped watching halfway through season two.

• Paid Members

After finding Breaking Bad to be abit of a slog to get through and overrated, until maybe the last two seasons, I wasn't very hyped for Better Call Saul. I thought I would give it a go and can honestly say, I'm hooked.

Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks together are fantastic, especially in the latest episode. The pain and reason behind the 'Mike' character is very compelling.

Hoping for more Slippin' Jimmy stories, though.