What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Just bought this lovely little limited edition set, so will be watching it just as soon as it arrives! A bit steep at £125, but i loved this show, so having it in legit 1080 HD is ace. Even if it does need to be imported from Korea lol. Set has both the English dub and English subs as an option though. Each case within the main box has a nice lenticular slipcase, as does the main box. So they've put some effort in to it.

14162924891131217.jpg

Yeah the price is a bit steep, but to have it in its full form on blu-ray is worth it. They've done a really nice job with this set. Currently saving for the second season (which i haven't seen yet).

I was sold from watching the intro lol

Edited by truthofsin

• Moderators

The only good Japanese intro (And probably decent programme since Endurance) is the one to Pride (no, not PRIDE).

It appears to be an indoor and cold sort of Dream Team with a Queen soundtrack. Exactly what the BBC should be doing over here.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I've just started rewatching Quantum Leap from the beginning.

I've just finished the first season, which was only 9 episodes but it's 9 episodes of greatness. They really put together something fantastic and, given this was 1989, the effects used to make Al a hologram were pretty impressive and haven't aged all that badly.

We bought the boxed set, and we've been having a casual Leap when there's nothing worth watching on. We've just finished Season One too, and I still rate it as a series, although my other half is a bit harsher on the special effects than I am.

The one thing that really stands out about series from the last century is how long the title sequence is.

Been watching all sorts lately...

Just finished the Fall - all a bit meh with far too many plot holes

2 episodes into the Knick now, good so far. Owen's brilliant. 

Tried Jay Barachel's latest Man Seeking Woman - not for me.

Togetherness however is awesome, just realised its on Sky Atlantic too.

New series of Its Always Sunny is much better than the last and Broad City is on form too. 

Gave up on Girls too (up to date on Sky) - can't stand Dunham anymore.

Quite a few into Party Down and still undecided, I like Scott and Marino in other things so want it to step up a notch - does it?

Errrrrrm think thats about it!

Anyone seen the latest Episodes series or Backstrom yet?

• Paid Members

Been watching all sorts lately...

Just finished the Fall - all a bit meh with far too many plot holes

2 episodes into the Knick now, good so far. Owen's brilliant.

Tried Jay Barachel's latest Man Seeking Woman - not for me.

Togetherness however is awesome, just realised its on Sky Atlantic too.

New series of Its Always Sunny is much better than the last and Broad City is on form too.

Gave up on Girls too (up to date on Sky) - can't stand Dunham anymore.

Quite a few into Party Down and still undecided, I like Scott and Marino in other things so want it to step up a notch - does it?

Errrrrrm think thats about it!

Anyone seen the latest Episodes series or Backstrom yet?

I really want to see Backstrom. Has it been picked up here yet?

• Paid Members

The only good Japanese intro (And probably decent programme since Endurance) is the one to Pride (no, not PRIDE).

It appears to be an indoor and cold sort of Dream Team with a Queen soundtrack. Exactly what the BBC should be doing over here.

Seeing this has made me grab my trilogy pack of Mighty Ducks films. Thats my late evening sorted

• Paid Members

Wolf Hall is still mint. The guy who played Thomas More was absolutely excellent. Stood out in a bunch of fantastic performances. One thing though, has there been a Catholic backlash to this series (or the indeed the books)? While I wouldn't say that either side is portrayed amazingly, it's a bit rough on More, whose's a saint these days/ 

• Awards Moderator

Wolf Hall is still mint. The guy who played Thomas More was absolutely excellent. Stood out in a bunch of fantastic performances. One thing though, has there been a Catholic backlash to this series (or the indeed the books)? While I wouldn't say that either side is portrayed amazingly, it's a bit rough on More, whose's a saint these days/

Anton Lesser? Yeah, he's great. I did a bit of extra work on the new series of The Hollow Crown, which he's in, so he'll be on screen again before too long, only in armour and quoting Shakespeare. From the bits I saw, he'll be really good in that too.

I know Newsnight did a few pieces on the different perspective offered by Wolf Hall - mainly on how it doesn't portray Cromwell as a right bastard - but I don't think they touched on More much. Makes sense that he'd be done in a less glowy light, though - his own writings would obviously make him out as a good guy, plus there's the whole martyrdom thing!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I actually stayed up last night to watch SNL40, it was 3 and a half hours long but overall a great show.

It was basically a highlight show for the 40 years with some sketches brought back and performed, the best one of that being Celebrity Jeopardy. Which I thought was absolutely hilarious, some sketches did fall a little flat like The Californians but mainly it was a funny show throughout. Jerry Seinfeld has a great little bit.

For anyone who likes SNL it's a fun way to spend a couple hours.

Here is the Celebrity Jeopardy sketch, sorry about the YouTube video, it was the only one I could find. (Why do people do this with videos?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=Vs48xa0VwHk