UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Awards Moderator
13 hours ago, gmoney said:

Were Saturday Night's Main Events shown over here? In the 80s/90s I mean, I know the more recent ones were. 

Definitely. Nothing was more exciting than realising your Saturday night was going to have an SNME. I was gripped seeing Hogan and Warrior tag.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Definitely. Nothing was more exciting than realising your Saturday night was going to have an SNME. I was gripped seeing Hogan and Warrior tag.

I didn't have Sky back then, so I was reliant on whatever my mate who did have it managed to tape. I mentioned this in the 'What have you been watching?' but I've never seen any of these, and they excellent. It's a like stumbling on a treasure chest full of childhood nostalgia, but angles and matches I'm not really familiar with. 

In the late 80s, I'm sure they were sometimes shown on a Thursday night as my dad would often fall asleep in front of the TV while waiting for Question Time.  My brothers and I would turn down the volume one notch at a time so the TV wouldn't keep him awake.  It was like something from The Twits.  When we were convinced he was out for the count we'd turn over and slowly turn the volume back up but not enough to wake him.

Sometimes he'd wake up, say "Turn that shite off" and then fall back to sleep a minute later.

No, on Thursday nights in the late 80’s, 87 i thibk, every now and then they would show the SNME’s from the beginning, the first ever ones. Then on Saturday nights they started showing them as they happened. The first one i remember being shown as it happened was a late 87 one where Bundy beat Hogan by countout. 

Then in Jan 88 Hogan rematched Bundy and got chocked out by Andre after, thus setting up The Main Event where Hogan lost the belt with the double referee saga. So theyve been shown as they happened from late 87 i believe.

It started in the post-match at Summerslam when they tried to turn her heel by attacking “friend” Charlotte, who has just screwed over her mate to win the Women's belt. The crowd weren’t having any of it and cheered Becky and continued to do so in the weeks that followed. I don’t think they started referring to Becky as ‘the man’ until around October though

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

It started in the post-match at Summerslam when they tried to turn her heel by attacking “friend” Charlotte, who has just screwed over her mate to win the Women's belt. The crowd weren’t having any of it and cheered Becky and continued to do so in the weeks that followed. I don’t think they started referring to Becky as ‘the man’ until around October though

Her barking "I'm The Man" was something I only noticed on her way back up the ramp, victorious, at Evolution. A real turning point, she did a tweet that night to the effect of "In the beginning I didn't need you but you decided to come along anyway" which I read as public acknowledgement by WWE of "OK, if you want to cheer her still, we'll let you" and they were giving up forcing her into the "bad guy" role.

Edited by air_raid

• 2 weeks later...

I've started going through old Raws starting in January 1996. The second one has the on-screen debut of The Ringmaster, which I got a good kick out of. Oh and Vader vignettes. Anyway, we're still in the days of 1 hour shows, and both of them featured long replays of matches from the previous IYH PPV, one being Henry Godwinn vs HHH in a hogpen match with Hillbilly Jim as special guest referee (!) and then British Bulldog vs Bret Hart for the WWF title being the other. With only an hour of TV to fill (45 minutes really), what's going on here? Is it just the taping schedule around Christmas so they had to string out the matches, or were they shitting it because of ratings? Just seemed a bit weird.