UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

39 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

A few weeks ago on Raw when Baron Corbin got rid of Rhyno. Was that just part of the angle or is that Rhyno done again and the angle a way to write him off the roster?

He wrestled on the house shows after that Raw, and he appears in a non wrestling capacity on next week's Raw

• Paid Members

Hopefully the regular Puro followers on here can help me with this one. I'm only after reading this piece of information from a recent Observer, and I was a little bit flabbergasted but I don't know whether that should be the reaction I should have or not:

"Okada has now won Match of the Year five years in a row and six of the last seven years, starting in 2012 with Tanahashi, and then 2014 with Shinsuke Nakamura, 2015 with Tenryu, 2016 with Naomichi Marufuji and the past two years with Omega."

Tenryu was in a Japanese match of the year with Okada only a few years ago? What was the backstory with this? Did Okada do a marvellous job carrying him or was Tenryu in 2015 still capable of pulling off a belter?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Hopefully the regular Puro followers on here can help me with this one. I'm only after reading this piece of information from a recent Observer, and I was a little bit flabbergasted but I don't know whether that should be the reaction I should have or not:

"Okada has now won Match of the Year five years in a row and six of the last seven years, starting in 2012 with Tanahashi, and then 2014 with Shinsuke Nakamura, 2015 with Tenryu, 2016 with Naomichi Marufuji and the past two years with Omega."

Tenryu was in a Japanese match of the year with Okada only a few years ago? What was the backstory with this? Did Okada do a marvellous job carrying him or was Tenryu in 2015 still capable of pulling off a belter?

That must be a mistake, as the Okada/Tenryu match didn't even break the top 10 of 2015;

Screenshot_20190103-211511.thumb.png.c53ca7427f0df4969cdf7a447ed74b5a.png

The match in question is the 15/11 Tenryu Retirement match from the final 'Tenryu Project' show. The match is infamous for Tenry accidentally dropping Okada on his dome but is also famous for Okada carrying the old, grizzled bastard to something good. Out of context, the match is a bit shite, but knowing Tenryu's story and it being his retirement match against the man who has taken Japanese wrestling under his wing to new heights, it's really quite special.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

That must be a mistake, as the Okada/Tenryu match didn't even break the top 10 of 2015;

Screenshot_20190103-211511.thumb.png.c53ca7427f0df4969cdf7a447ed74b5a.png

The match in question is the 15/11 Tenryu Retirement match from the final 'Tenryu Project' show. The match is infamous for Tenry accidentally dropping Okada on his dome but is also famous for Okada carrying the old, grizzled bastard to something good. Out of context, the match is a bit shite, but knowing Tenryu's story and it being his retirement match against the man who has taken Japanese wrestling under his wing to new heights, it's really quite special.

Thanks for the response @Accident Prone. I should have added that it was the Tokyo Sports winners he was listing at that point and not the Observer MOTY list. Which based on what you were saying about it being Tenryu's retirement bout, may explain why it topped the Tokyo Sports list. Since I don't follow the scene very closely it surprised me to see Tenryu's name in a 2015 match highly enough regarded that it won an award. Cheers for clearing things up! 

Is WWE 2K19 worth £20? I haven't had a wrestling game for years and I am interested in picking this one up. I know the games haven't evolved too much from the Smackdown era but I'm curious to hear the opinions of wrestling fans rather than simply reading reviews on video game websites.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

When was the Stone Cold v Undertaker WWF title match at Summerslam 1998 made?

The commentators refer to it as happening during the Fully Loaded main event so I presume it was an episode of RAW leading up to that. Does anyone know for sure? 

According to the delightful History Of WWE website, 'Taker's no.1 contender status was cemented on the July 6th RAW;

WWF @ State College, PA - Bryce Jordan Center - June 30, 1998
Reckless Youth defeated Steve Corino
Steven Regal defeated Tiger Ali Singh
Paulo Silva defeated Derek Domino
Shotgun - 7/11/98:
Farooq & Scorpio defeated Brian Christopher & Scott Taylor
Droz defeated Bob Holly
Steve Blackman defeated Lance Diamond
Edge defeated Jesus Castillo
Dan Severn defeated GI Will
Raw is War - 7/6/98:
Brawl for All: Savio Vega defeated Brakkus
Ken Shamrock defeated Jeff Jarrett (w/ Tennessee Lee) by disqualification when Mabel interfered
Vader fought Bradshaw to a no contest when Kane & Mankind interfered
Skull & 8-Ball (w/ Paul Ellering) defeated the Headbangers
D-Lo Brown (w/ the Godfather) pinned Terry Funk with the Lo Down frog splash; after the match, the Undertaker came ringside and attacked all three men
Brawl For All: Road Warrior Hawk fought Droz to a draw when both men were tied on points
Val Venis defeated Dustin Runnells via disqualification when Kaientai interfered
Ken Shamrock defeated Mabel via submission with the ankle lock; after the match, Shamrock continued to attack Mabel
Kane pinned Mankind with a chair shot on the floor; after the bout, Kane unmasked, revealing himself to be the Undertaker; due to pre-match stipulations, the Undertaker became the #1 contender to the world title; Steve Austin did guest commentary for the match

StrangeTaker_McMahon_110215.png

Fully Loaded was then on July 26th and Summerslam on August 30th.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Steve Austin did guest commentary for the match

He does a fabulous bit of pantomime here; with a single swipe he brushes the headset off without losing focus on the Undertaker, completely selling the disbelief. Cracking stuff.