~*UKFF's Children Thread*~

Kookoocachu

Ahh ok, so around 10 months more than I will have. Ideally I would have liked that kind of gap as it would mean that the older one would soon be getting free hours at nursery.  Hopefully I should only have 3 or so months of having to pay for both of them to go to nursery.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

At this point, I think there should just be a thread purely for discussing Bluey (Not Blueys, we already have one of those). My youngest (10 month old) missed her second nap yesterday, and by tea time, she was acting just like Muffin in the episode where she doesn't have a nap. I have never related to an episode as much as I did yesterday. She was rabid, making noises like a gremlin, rubbing food all in her hair and just generally going crazy. Luckily, by reminding me of that episode, it didn't annoy or frustrate me half as much as it normally would have. 

Bluey is life. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Took the boy for his first Taekwondo class yesterday. On the way home, he asked that when we go next week if he could have his own belt. I explained that the master would give him a belt, and how they were like medals that were awarded for working hard and paying attention.

"But they already gave me a reward of a yellow tag (basically a merit badge that they use for the juniors class), so I need a belt to put it on". Darn it, he's got me there. So when we got home I had to go into the attic and fish out an old white belt for him to put it on.

I get the feeling he really liked it, as he turned and bowed as he left the bathroom this morning.

It's a good job he's cute.

isaac-tkd1.jpg

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce
Spelling error. Get over it.

• 3 weeks later...

My eldest is 2 next month and he has gotten a lot easier because he can tell us what he wants now. He is a really shit sleeper though so that coupled with the chaos of two is pretty scary.

18 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Congratulations! Passed the two year mark with the second one recently. Still not any easier now.

Does anyone else suffer a bit with imposter syndrome as a parent?

Not even sure that's what I mean but it's tough to put into words.

I feel incapable of even looking after myself most of the time so to think I've got kids that rely on me and look up to me seems absolutely barmy some days.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I can't remember the last time I was so shattered.... I guess this is going to be my life now for the next 2 years!

Congrats @deathrey!

If it helps at all, based on my experience (and I appreciate this isn't the same for everyone) the first bit with having a second was tricky while we figured it all out, because it's a lot of logistical stuff with two that isn't the same with one (the ratio of two adults to one kid changing to 2:2 was hard because it made it hard to take a break at any point), but we settled into a rhythm and I found myself tired but managing because I knew I'd already done this once and I could trust my instincts a bit more because of the experience from my first child. I found the second also tended to slot into things for that first year or so, because they didn't have much choice. 

That said, it does get easier. I'm now at a point with a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old and they are starting to play together and share a room, which makes everything infinitely easier. Having two kids with a small age gap is tricky in the short term, but in the long term there's a good chance it'll be great for them (and you!). 

Thanks @mim731for sharing your experience. That's what I'm hoping will be the case in the long run, a hard first year and the things getting steadily easier as they can play together. Hopefully they will  be in to the same stuff around the same age and be companions for each other.