~*UKFF's Children Thread*~

Kookoocachu

My youngest, (20 months) has learned how to ask Alexa to play his two favorite songs, ('Shake, Shake, Senora' & 'La Bamba') and it's simultaneously terrifying, cute and annoying, but he's teaching me plenty of new dance moves, so he's forgiven. If the fucker could only begin sleeping...  

• Paid Members
"Alecka, play Michael Jackson!"
"Isaac, this is Michael Jackson"
"It's not! This is Billie Jean!"
"Michael Jackson is singing a song about someone called Billie Jean"
"It's not! Alecka! Say Michael Jackson!"
"Sorry, I don't know that one"
"See? She doesn't know him!"

That's some interesting music taste your son has @ThumpSquids

Have any of you raised your kids bilingual? I really really want to raise my kid bilingual but I am so inconsistent with it, I feel like I'm going to fail miserably. When I'm in autopilot I always end up speaking English. I can speak Punjabi just as well as I speak English, I really want my kid to be the same. My parents only spoke to me in Punjabi and I learnt English through TV/friends/nursery when I was around 3. It was easier for my parents as only my dad spoke English and Punjabi is his default language.

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members

Not me, but my brother's children both were raised to speak English and Swedish. Him and his wife spoke both languages in the house when they were growing up. It's easy for me to say that it seemed quite easy for them to pick up, but then I wasn't really there so I can't say with any certainty. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

On today's episode of "I have no idea":

After last nights bath he legs it into his bedroom as per usual, and I come in to find him sat on his bed but hiding under his towel. As I sit on the bed next to him, he lets out a massive trump, pokes his face out from the towel and proudly states "I'm Toby MaGuire!"

He's also taken his ability to recite things from a single listen to new levels.

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

• Moderators
On 3/11/2021 at 12:39 PM, deathrey said:

Thanks @gmoneythat's reassuring that they spoke both and the kids still picked it up. My son does see Punjabi on TV and we listen to Punjabi music too so has some exposure through the things as well.

My brother's kid has been raised speaking German and English and flips between then very easily (he's 4 now). My brother speaks no German at all so as a family they speak English to each other art home. His wife is German and they live in Germany.

One thing I will say, and I've read is common in bilingual houses, is that kids may not start speaking at all until a little older than usual. It's apparently very natural and once they do start they catch up very quickly (which was the case for my nephew). Just a heads up.

• Paid Members
On 3/11/2021 at 12:02 PM, deathrey said:

Have any of you raised your kids bilingual? I really really want to raise my kid bilingual but I am so inconsistent with it, I feel like I'm going to fail miserably. When I'm in autopilot I always end up speaking English. I can speak Punjabi just as well as I speak English, I really want my kid to be the same. My parents only spoke to me in Punjabi and I learnt English through TV/friends/nursery when I was around 3. It was easier for my parents as only my dad spoke English and Punjabi is his default language.

I don't have kids but I know plenty of people who raise theirs bilingually, and it's an area I'm a little bit familiar with. Young children are like sponges, primed for language acquisition, and they can comfortably absorb several at the same time. They don't require the same degree of effort and exposure that older children and adults do, so you don't need to worry about consistently using Punjabi. If you've got access to Punjabi radio or television, that helps provide some immersion, and your father could make a point of using his own native language in conversation.

Don't expect the child to be actively bilingual, though: some simply choose not to reply in a language even if one of their parents has only ever used another one with them. I know a few cases like that where I've been put in the awkward spot of speaking to a child in English, asked by the parent to switch, and then had the poor child carry on in English with me.

@Ronniemy parents do both speak in Punjabi exclusively with him, he just doesn't see them regularly as they live 100 miles away. We usually go and stay with them for a week or so every time we see them so he does have decent exposure. I will definitely do the Punjabi radio/tv thing, we've also been listening to Punjabi music with him.

It's interesting you say that about choosing to speak in English, many of my little cousins understand Punjabi but don't speak it, I've always put it down to a lack of confidence but I guess it could be a choice, something to think about.

I have heard about the delay @Chest Rockwellhe is a mad babble at the moment and constantly looks like he is trying to form words but I will bare that in mind. 

There's new Hey Duggee episodes up*. 

The Diplomacy Badge and The Senses Badge are up there with the very best (your Spaces, your Sticks, your Mixtapes)

God bless Duggee and the squirrels.

*not that you need to have children to enjoy it of course, I watch it when mine aren't here, I just couldn't think of an appropriate thread.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

There's new Hey Duggee episodes up*. 

The Diplomacy Badge and The Senses Badge are up there with the very best (your Spaces, your Sticks, your Mixtapes)

God bless Duggee and the squirrels.

*not that you need to have children to enjoy it of course, I watch it when mine aren't here, I just couldn't think of an appropriate thread.

Hey Duggee is amazing. My little ones love it, and I appreciate like all the best kids TV shows that there's a shed load of stuff for the parents too.

Any show that drops references to Predator and Apocalypse Now without it even being pronounced enough to stand out to kids is a winner for me. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just shouted, angrily, without the slightest hint of irony, at my 3 year old son “I’M THE DADDY!” Also,  it’s the first time this week I haven’t had to get up at 5am for work, guess what time the little turd woke up. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Just wanted to ask for a bit of advice. Mrs James is a few weeks away from the due date of our second child and I am starting to worry that I haven't really acknowledged that we are having a second child at all within my self. I'm not sure if its just normal or due to COVID meaning I haven't been able to attend any appointments, but i don't feel the excitement I did with our first? I also keep forgetting that it is happening and also just feel completely unprepared. Strange thing is, we have bought everything we need, we have decorated and kitted out the nursery and I am confident we are prepared in every way we need, other than myself. 

Is this normal? I imagine the second is less exciting than the first due to not knowing what is coming with the first, but I am starting to panic that with the way I am feeling, I wont be able to bond with the baby etc. 

• Moderators

I can't tell you if it's 'completely normal' but it sounds like how I felt second time around and it hasn't affected my ability to completely fall in love with my second child. 

Of course it will feel very different. There's not the novelty that was there, the adrenaline from the complete unknown etc. But that doesn't mean it is "less".

Don't forget first time around you were pretty much just sitting there and waiting for a baby to turn up. This time you've got the day to day of taking care of your current kid to keep you distracted.

Also it's not that you're unprepared, it's just that preparing is easier when you know what to expect.  There really is just not as much to acknowledge or prepare for the second time around.

Edited by Chest Rockwell