~*UKFF's Children Thread*~

Kookoocachu

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, deathrey said:

@Nick Jameshow old was your eldest when you used the sleep consultant if you don't mind me asking?

He was around 10 months, we were at the end of our rope with the sleep situation and whilst it was pricey, it was worth its weight in gold at the time.

• Paid Members

Cheers folks. I’m sure I’ll be in here at a panic at some point in the not too distant future. 
I’ve been told similar re: boys vs girls and if my nephew is anything to go by then I’m braced for an exhausting few years. He’s the sweetest wee boy but, man, he does not have an off switch. I’m burst after an hour with him. 

• 1 month later...

I need to vent as my youngest sleep is driving me insane, I am sleep deprived and my brain is working at about 8%. He has regressed completely to wanting to be held all night again. He was doing ok, we spent Christmas at my parents house and he did a 4 hour stretch in his travel cot, but we have gotten home and are back to what it was like when he was a newborn but none of the little tricks we were doing work anymore. He still wakes every 3 hours for milk. He turned 3 months today and is too big to contact sleep - he is in 6 - 9 month clothing already. My eldest in contrast was sleeping through the night at 10 weeks and was/is on the 5th centile for height so really easy to manage.

What I wouldnt give for 6 hours uninterrupted sleep. I've heard about those night nannies but think they only exist in London. I would seriously pay one of them £20 an hour to give me a night off. But I probably wouldn't sleep because I'd be too worried about a stranger looking after my child. I am dreading the 4 month sleep regression, I'm not sure how this can get worse but I'm sure he will find a way.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, deathrey said:

I am dreading the 4 month sleep regression, I'm not sure how this can get worse but I'm sure he will find a way.

If it helps it sounds like you might have entered  the 4 month sleep regression ability early, because that going back to newborn habits is very much what we went through. So hopefully it'll all settle down in a week or two. In the meantime just be kind to yourself and try and get some rest where you can. 

3 minutes ago, mim731 said:

If it helps it sounds like you might have entered  the 4 month sleep regression ability early, because that going back to newborn habits is very much what we went through. So hopefully it'll all settle down in a week or two. In the meantime just be kind to yourself and try and get some rest where you can. 

My husband and I were discussing that this morning, I think you're right. We managed to get him down for a couple of hours in our bed last night so think I will try for the same tonight..... and drink lots of coffee. My 2 year old doesn't go to nursery on Friday's so think I'll be highly caffeinated tomorrow!

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, deathrey said:

My husband and I were discussing that this morning, I think you're right. We managed to get him down for a couple of hours in our bed last night so think I will try for the same tonight..... and drink lots of coffee. My 2 year old doesn't go to nursery on Friday's so think I'll be highly caffeinated tomorrow!

Best of luck @deathrey the sleep regression is hard, especially with a toddler running round too, but we definitely found second time around this was the hardest part of the initial stages just because you're balancing the needs of the toddler, the sleep regressing baby and maintaining your own sanity on minimal sleep. Thankfully it doesn't last long, the sleep does settle down and it does get easier, but yeah good coffee helps!! 

Thank you, it always makes you feel better knowing others have made it through. My eldest was a pretty good sleeper as a baby (difficult when he got older) so this has been a real shock to the system. Sleep deprivation is a bitch. 

• Paid Members

Was left alone with the little man yesterday, we both got bored so I created an adhoc sensory/planetarium/rave experience for him with a Jean Michel Jarre soundtrack. He was tripping balls and loved it.

20230107_160857.thumb.jpg.649efded13c0b00534f8b0a8fe6defe3.jpg

20230107_160506.thumb.jpg.905eae3ef13b7a216a97937841553bac.jpg

People tell you so many things before you have a kid but they don't tell you how fucking fun it is.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

People tell you so many things before you have a kid but they don't tell you how fucking fun it is.

This. 100% this, for all of the late nights, stress, tiredness etc, nothing beats the feeling you get seeing your little one just having fun. 

That sensory rave looks cool as. Another one is just a big pot of cooked spaghetti (cold), chuck it in a baby bath and let them just have at it. 

• Paid Members

Going through the 18 month sleep regression phase which is wearing slightly thin now. It can take an hour to an hour and half each night to get her to sleep, switched the bedtime routine around, not doing bath before bed, we've tried everything.

Well, tonight she went to sleep in record time. I decided that I tend to get stressed the longer it goes on and in complete silence apart from a white noise machine, you can drive yourself crazy. Tonight was different, I decided I was going to pop a wireless earbud in and stick some music on to try and pass the time. 

Didn't realise at the time, but I started to sing quietly to the music and was swaying, next thing I know, the eyes are in the back of her head and she was sock on. I'm not sure if it was the not giving her attention, the vibrations of the singing or the gentle swaying, but either way, Ill take the win.

Tomorrow night will be another fight all together, I have no doubts about that. 

On 1/8/2023 at 4:16 PM, LaGoosh said:

Was left alone with the little man yesterday, we both got bored so I created an adhoc sensory/planetarium/rave experience for him with a Jean Michel Jarre soundtrack. He was tripping balls and loved it.

20230107_160857.thumb.jpg.649efded13c0b00534f8b0a8fe6defe3.jpg

20230107_160506.thumb.jpg.905eae3ef13b7a216a97937841553bac.jpg

That looks magnificent!! All of the arrows!

@Nick Jamesyou have to do what you can to do your own sanity when it comes to bedtime, I do think you bedding a bit more relaxed will help. Good luck for night two.

We've managed to get my 2 year old to a point where we can leave him to go to sleep himself but he is up for a very long time before he falls asleep.  Yesterday we tried dropping his nap for the first time - he fights nap time a lot now so we gave up our 1.5 hour daily sanity window. He fell asleep within 10 mins yesterday which was amazing. Tonight we tried the same - though he fell asleep for 18 minutes in the car when out with my husband.  We put him down at 7.15 post bath, I read him a story and left at 7.45, he fell asleep at 9.25. Not sure it was worth giving up the sanity window. 

3 hours ago, deathrey said:

@Nick Jamesyou have to do what you can to do your own sanity when it comes to bedtime, I do think you bedding a bit more relaxed will help. Good luck for night two.

We've managed to get my 2 year old to a point where we can leave him to go to sleep himself but he is up for a very long time before he falls asleep.  Yesterday we tried dropping his nap for the first time - he fights nap time a lot now so we gave up our 1.5 hour daily sanity window. He fell asleep within 10 mins yesterday which was amazing. Tonight we tried the same - though he fell asleep for 18 minutes in the car when out with my husband.  We put him down at 7.15 post bath, I read him a story and left at 7.45, he fell asleep at 9.25. Not sure it was worth giving up the sanity window. 

I remember being screwed over by car naps several times, it’s unavoidable but I think them going down easier at night happens more regularly once you drop the nap. Finding the balance between flexibility and keeping a routine to make it stick is hard, so just keep going.