*Official* Youtube.com cool finds thread

quote the raven

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Sheffbag said:

Night 1 of the event. 2 million in attendance (allegedly) 

I like the bit where Rick Steiner drops Hase right on top of his fucking head with a German suplex, but Bischoff is too busy talking about how figure skaters avoid gettin dizzy to notice or react.

Then Scott sets up for the rarely-seen Steiner Screwdriver, so they cut to brawling on the floor to make sure we don’t see it this time either.

Stone Cold talking us through his iconic WM17 match with the Rock.

An absolutely fascinating look at how two guys at the top of their game actually go about putting together a match.  Tons of little things you might not even notice normally.

What strikes me most is this - no suicide dives, no top rope high-risk spots, no dangerous head drops, no knee strikes.  None of the stuff that the modern guys feel is necessary to bust out in EVERY MATCH just to get the crowd to pop.  There's not a single move that couldn't be achieved by anyone in WWE right now - in fact they were protecting the Rock a bit because he was off to film a movie after this.

But it's an incredible match because of the story they tell and HOW they tell it.  I'd take this match over almost anything the WWE  have done in the past year.  I don't know how you reset back to this safer, slower style but I wish they would at least 50% of the time.

Edited by Loki

On 3/22/2019 at 9:26 AM, Loki said:

What strikes me most is this - no suicide dives, no top rope high-risk spots, no dangerous head drops, no knee strikes.  None of the stuff that the modern guys feel is necessary to bust out in EVERY MATCH just to get the crowd to pop.  There's not a single move that couldn't be achieved by anyone in WWE right now - in fact they were protecting the Rock a bit because he was off to film a movie after this.

But it's an incredible match because of the story they tell and HOW they tell it.  I'd take this match over almost anything the WWE  have done in the past year.  I don't know how you reset back to this safer, slower style but I wish they would at least 50% of the time.

I totally agree but then there are a couple of important things that come to mind.

Austin and Rock were established for years by this point, and familiarity counts for a lot in wrestling. I've seen shows where trainees come out and work a solid chain match that dies, and then names come out and work less, with more daylight, and have the crowd onside. The youngsters can't be blamed for trying to stick in the crowd's mind with a memorable move or three. The days of old where Rick Rude's first year of TV matches were him working headlocks into an international for 8 minutes are long gone.

The simple storytelling of that WM match is more reliant on pacing and positioning, which I love and appreciate now I'm older. But I wonder how much of the spottier style is mandated. For a while, Seth Rollins' curb stomp was banned because higher-ups didn't want kids copying it. Well, it's a damn sight easier to copy a straight punch. So maybe the drive towards video game movesets is a deliberate attempt to make things safer.

Another observation is how unique and distinctive every move both guys make. I worry that today's style of training is reducing the individuality of even basic moves, so we end up with a Mortal Kombat situation where guys are only defined by their special moves.

Tl,dr: everything's too polished, everything's the same, it were better in ma day, blah blah blah. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Love-Wilcox said:

This might be old news but I simply can’t get enough of grumpy Triple H.

That might be the most likeable I've seen Triple H and Stephanie out of character.