Chili Posted April 20 Posted April 20 Just now, Supremo said: Funny to now look back at the whole thing as The Rock being too busy shooting Jumanji, so TKO used Pat as their version of All Star Wrestling’s tribute to The Rock. The McAfee Eyebrow! Wrestle Me absolutely killed me when Pete compared him to the big moon head man from the yank McDonald's campaign from the 90's. Quote
AshC Posted April 20 Posted April 20 5 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said: A minor point really in the grand scheme but was it really necessary for Oba to win clean and do the shocked face? Is the shocked face all they fucking teach in NXT now? He should have been like "I won. Of course I did. Just like I expected I would. I am the fucking man." I felt this as well. Pretty much exactly what you said. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted April 20 Paid Members Posted April 20 36 minutes ago, garynysmon said: I’ve only watched night 1 (and that was when rather drunk after getting home from the pub). But I find the criticism of the length of matches quite amusing. One of the most Wrestlemania things ever is to have a string of pretty short matches in a bid to get as many wrestlers as possible on the card. It was certainly the norm for the first decade of Mania. There’s little to like about current WWE for me, but swift-ish matches were one of the most endearing features! I don't have a problem with the length of matches either. Especially on a show I didn't watch. But isn't the complaint in this case that there is over 2 hours of not wrestling on a wrestling show? I've not seen anyone who wanted Becky and AJ to go 25 minutes. Just a bunch of people who want adverts for Hulk Hogan's documentary to not be on a fucking PPV (old money). Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted April 20 Paid Members Posted April 20 that's it. It's not that the matches were short, it's that across eight hours of show-time there were fewer than three hours of wrestling. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that wrestling shouldn't comprise considerably less than half of the runtime of Wrestlemania. Especially when the non-wrestling content isn't hype packages, angles, promo segments, anything else that might be additive or at least supportive of the wrestling matches, but just advertising and corporate tie-in guff. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted April 20 Paid Members Posted April 20 51 minutes ago, Chili said: Wrestle Me absolutely killed me when Pete compared him to the big moon head man from the yank McDonald's campaign from the 90's. Pat Mac Tonight Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 20 Members Posted April 20 24 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: I don't have a problem with the length of matches either. Especially on a show I didn't watch. But isn't the complaint in this case that there is over 2 hours of not wrestling on a wrestling show? I've not seen anyone who wanted Becky and AJ to go 25 minutes. Just a bunch of people who want adverts for Hulk Hogan's documentary to not be on a fucking PPV (old money). 3 minutes ago, BomberPat said: that's it. It's not that the matches were short, it's that across eight hours of show-time there were fewer than three hours of wrestling. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that wrestling shouldn't comprise considerably less than half of the runtime of Wrestlemania. Especially when the non-wrestling content isn't hype packages, angles, promo segments, anything else that might be additive or at least supportive of the wrestling matches, but just advertising and corporate tie-in guff. I'm not saying either of you are wrong, but I do sometimes wonder if we all feel about the advert bollocks (and don't get it twisted, we are 100% in the right) is because the yanks are so used to commercials every minute or so, that this is fairly standard for them. I tried to watch an episode of It's Always Sunny not long ago that came from the live US network feed and gave up after around 3 minutes, when there had already been 4 ad breaks. Its impossible to watch yank TV. It's just normal for them. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted April 20 Paid Members Posted April 20 Just now, SuperBacon said: I'm not saying either of you are wrong, but I do sometimes wonder if we all feel about the advert bollocks (and don't get it twisted, we are 100% in the right) is because the yanks are so used to commercials every minute or so, that this is fairly standard for them. I tried to watch an episode of It's Always Sunny not long ago that came from the live US network feed and gave up after around 3 minutes, when there had already been 4 ad breaks. Its impossible to watch yank TV. It's just normal for them. I don't think is normal. You're not wrong about ads, US telly is painful, but this is something that didn't have ads in it (except perhaps loooong back in the days of intermissions). They've introduced ads into something that you're paying to watch - which fucks me off anyway when it's Prime, etc doing it - but must really take the piss when the ads are almost 1:1 with the amount of wrestling on a show. It's just greed. That's not surprising but the capacity of people to just live with it always is. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 20 Members Posted April 20 2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: That's not surprising but the capacity of people to just live with it always is. I think the amount of (fair) griping at it shows that the opposite is true. Everyone was pissed off with the amount of them. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted April 20 Paid Members Posted April 20 12 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: I don't think is normal. You're not wrong about ads, US telly is painful, but this is something that didn't have ads in it (except perhaps loooong back in the days of intermissions). They've introduced ads into something that you're paying to watch - which fucks me off anyway when it's Prime, etc doing it - but must really take the piss when the ads are almost 1:1 with the amount of wrestling on a show. It's just greed. That's not surprising but the capacity of people to just live with it always is. Bang on. Matches used to be short as they tried to crame everyone on the card. Now matches are short, and there are fewer, because they get in the way of ads. On something you pay for. It’s grim. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted April 20 Posted April 20 18 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: I'm not saying either of you are wrong, but I do sometimes wonder if we all feel about the advert bollocks (and don't get it twisted, we are 100% in the right) is because the yanks are so used to commercials every minute or so, that this is fairly standard for them. I tried to watch an episode of It's Always Sunny not long ago that came from the live US network feed and gave up after around 3 minutes, when there had already been 4 ad breaks. Its impossible to watch yank TV. It's just normal for them. I remember watching an episode of The X Files once and it had adverts after the cold opening and before the post conclusion 3 minute wrap up bit. Utter madness. Not sure if it had left BBC completely by this point but it’s one of the last episodes I’d ever watched of it. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted April 20 Paid Members Posted April 20 1 hour ago, Mowgli said: Being good is subjective right, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think he's a good worker - the guy has had a LONG career in WWE (outlasting a lot more talented workers), been a multi time world champion and has headlined Wrestlemania all while staying relatively injury free, meeting his wife there and having a LOT of crossover opportunities too. - having a long career doesn't mean it was good to watch. Good for him? Yes. Good for entertaining wrestling and telly? Absolutely not considering its a long career filled with absolute crap. The only genuinely good match he ever had was against Jerry Lawler who could have a good match with a broomstick. - Jack Swagger is a multi time World Champion. It means absolutely nothing. - the only reason he headlined Wrestlemania is because they wanted someone insignificant so that the focus could be 100% on The Rock and John Cena. - being injury free, meeting your wife and having crossover opportunities does not mean you’re a good wrestler who has good matches and good promos. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted April 20 Paid Members Posted April 20 (edited) As a rule, the stopwatch wankers can get in the bin. Especially when talking about weekly, free TV. Nothing worse than seeing people complaining there wasn’t enough actual wrestling on Raw, Dynamite or Smackdown when some of the best pro-wrestling television of all time had minimal wrestling on it. An easy litmus test on whether someone’s opinion is worth listening to is whether they understand the importance of all the bollocks that surrounds the matches. If anything, matches are too long nowadays and everything could be improved by shaving a couple of minutes off of matches and putting that time to better use with promos, interviews or vignettes. However, the problem with Mania - especially Night One - is that this is your premium pay per view of the year and it genuinely felt like there was more time dedicated to adverts than anything else combined. The matches felt like annoying contractual obligations they had to rush through in order to advertise more shit. Everything suffered. Barely anything went into second gear. Did we even get many backstage skits? Did Cena do anything other than welcome us to each night and then announce the attendances? What has happened to this company that I’m now wishing for more dog shit segments where Ron Simmons says, “damn”?! The longest match of the weekend was Roman vs. Punk, going thirty three minutes. Combined across both shows, adverts for Hulk Hogan’s documentary alone took over thirty eight minutes. Took the piss. Short matches are fine if you don’t feel it. That’s all you could feel for Wrestlemania 42. The Ad-itude Era Edited April 20 by Supremo Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted April 20 Paid Members Posted April 20 22 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: I think the amount of (fair) griping at it shows that the opposite is true. Everyone was pissed off with the amount of them. Griping isn't action. It's been several years of this stuff and people still watch it and us over here, do so at ungodly hours. Still paying for something and complaining later is just rewarding the greed. Action is not paying and not watching. That's too much trouble though. Question for @DavidB6937 What do you see at the shows during all the down time? Or do you just head for the bar/food? Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted April 20 Paid Members Posted April 20 4 hours ago, SuperBacon said: I forgot to add that I do like Heyman and think he's often great, but he is so bad at conveying that he's upset etc. His devastated crying face as they walked up the ramp was just hilarious. I think the only time Heyman has genuinely cried in his life was on bath night when he was a kid. Filthy little goblin. Or when he actually had to sign a cheque that wasn’t gonna bounce. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.