Chico Torres Posted April 10 Posted April 10 Great countdown to a Wrestlemania, the only PIPEBOMBS are Flair revealing that Miss Elizabeth wasn’t as innocent as she seemed and no one was cutting a SHOOT PROMO about things that happened in 1962 Quote
Paid Members Wretch Posted April 10 Paid Members Posted April 10 5 hours ago, davertfnewman said: Jonny Storm, who makes a cameo in this, has presented his footage from the same event on his channel too. Lance Wright turns up to do a Bret Hart promo too. Didn’t Jonny turn up at the Wrestlemania X fan fest the year prior too? His folks must’ve had a few quid. Quote
davertfnewman Posted April 10 Posted April 10 He's got quite a few videos up, to where a lot of the wrestlers know him and recognise him and break character with him. Lots of talk about Luna having had her way with him! Quote
Browser Brady Posted April 12 Posted April 12 (edited) On 4/10/2026 at 8:59 PM, davertfnewman said: He's got quite a few videos up, to where a lot of the wrestlers know him and recognise him and break character with him. Lots of talk about Luna having had her way with him! Thats him at 5:35 i take it.. Am i going crazy or did he dress up constantly as Razor Ramon ? Edited April 12 by Browser Brady Quote
davertfnewman Posted April 12 Posted April 12 Yeah, with his taller mate in the shot. I believe he did dress like him, chico. Quote
AshC Posted April 12 Posted April 12 Sad there's no new Coliseum Video upload today, hope they're back to normal next week, but I suspect possibly not, with it being WrestleMania. Fingers crossed for 'Inside the WWF'. 😁 Quote
Rossman Posted April 13 Posted April 13 Up on the WCW Vault from Spring Stampede 94 - Vader Vs Big Hoss Man. Bashing fuck out of each other for 10 minutes & taking bumps like cruiserweights Quote
CavemanLynn Posted April 13 Posted April 13 "Bunch of middle agers are complaining about how shit Mania is going to be this year, so how are we going to get some goodwill back, lads?" Quote
Chico Torres Posted April 13 Posted April 13 I know it’s generally held in high regard but if you haven’t watched Bret vs Piper at WM 8 in a while, it’s definitely worth revisiting. I watched it again recently after many years and it tells such a great story, I forgot just how good it was. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted April 13 Paid Members Posted April 13 Yeah Bret vs Piper is fantastic. Piper’s best match? I think it’s definitely his best WWF match anyway. And it’s not just because he’s in there with Bret, although that never hurts either. The story is perfect right from that great pre-match promo with Piper talking about Helen being stingy with the bologna sandwiches, to the sportsmanship early because they’re friends, to the blood, to Piper’s conflict about whether to use the bell, to Bret outsmarting him at the finish and having the perfect counter to the sleeper. Easily one of my favourite WrestleMania matches. There have been some great babyface vs babyface matches throughout wrestling history, some might be as good as Bret vs Piper but I don’t think any were pulled off any better than this. And even story of the match aside, Piper in 92 was probably in the best shape of his entire career, the action itself is great, the Hoosier Dome is such a beautiful setting, Bret’s in his cool double pink gear and, to top of it off, the match has the soundtrack of Gorilla and The Brain on commentary. Heenan especially is on fire in this match, urging Piper to go bad and blast Bret with the bell - “Use it! Waffle him with it. Remember that old saying, ‘What the hell? Use the bell!” The match was also a massive part of solidifying Bret as someone who could believably mix with and beat top guys as well. The Mr Perfect win at SummerSlam 91 properly established him as a singles player but I think pinning Piper’s shoulders to the mat was huge in cementing Bret and, along with the Bulldog match at Wembley a few months later, no doubt played a part in the decision to put the big belt on Bret later in the year. Obviously along with other factors like Hogan shrinking/stepping away, Warrior’s piss test glowing in the dark etc. And of course Piper eating a clean pin on a big PPV was unheard of, so Bret beating him fair and square in the middle gave him an instant credibility boost as a singles wrestler. Quote
Chili Posted April 13 Posted April 13 (edited) Wrestlemania VIII wasn't my first PPV but it was the first one I had on video, so it's a very nostalgic show, and even with no concept of workrate or what made a good match, as a kid I was enamoured with that Bret/Piper match. Piper's selling of the crowd screaming NOT to use the ring bell is one of those great details of Piper being a good wrestling actor (before he go way too comfortable and overdid it). It's such a great expression and reaction as if he'd had them completely blocked out of his mind, he's about to waffle Bret because the fact he won a title really means something to him, then he hears the crowd, does that slow turn because they've finally broke into his train of thought. Is it worth it retaining your title, but losing all the respect and goodwill you've earned from not being a complete arsehole anymore circa his 80s heel run? I love that the crowd in 1992 DON'T want to see him do it, literally screaming and pleading at him. Everyone loves a heel turn of vice versa now and crowds are so different or have evolved into something else. So he throws the bell away. He still loses the match, but he lost to the better man, and still leaves with his pride, which with Piper's kayfabe character, really did mean something to him. As a story beat it's a brilliant bit of business. Edited April 13 by Chili Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted April 13 Paid Members Posted April 13 Man I miss Roddy Piper. One of the most watchable wrestlers of all time for me. If I come across a Piper promo or match (outside of his wank WCW run), chances are I'm not turning it off. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 13 Members Posted April 13 21 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said: outside of his wank WCW run I didn't mind it at the time as I love Piper and just seeing him in wrestling was enough, but watching it back, it's all so low energy and effort. He looks miserable. Great comedy actor as well, his two episodes of It's Always Sunny are two of my favourites. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted April 14 Paid Members Posted April 14 7 hours ago, SuperBacon said: I didn't mind it at the time as I love Piper and just seeing him in wrestling was enough, but watching it back, it's all so low energy and effort. He looks miserable. I always find an antidote to this is watching him vs Flair at Bash at the Beach 97. Not many singles matches would follow for either that I’d bother re-watching but on that night they just clicked, and seemed to enjoy working each other. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted April 14 Posted April 14 1 hour ago, air_raid said: I always find an antidote to this is watching him vs Flair at Bash at the Beach 97. Not many singles matches would follow for either that I’d bother re-watching but on that night they just clicked, and seemed to enjoy working each other. Yeah, Piper and Flair were really close friends and former travel partners, so they loved working together. Their WWE matches in 1991/92 are a lot of fun, too. I've always known Piper was special and one of the greats, but I was watching a lot of his stuff recently and blown away by how good it all was. Proper wrestler. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.