Paid Members BomberPat Posted March 18 Paid Members Posted March 18 on Chris Hero, I think there was a health issue that led to him piling a lot of weight, but he also started getting a lot bigger once he wasn't tagging and traveling with Claudio Castagnoli a lot. Also, the story I was told was that he was released from NXT the first time around because he had either been clocking in at the Performance Center gym and then fucking off for the day without actually doing anything, or he was letting someone else use his ID so it looked like he was spending more time there than he was - I can't remember which, or if it was a combination of the two. What I will say is that some of Hero's indie matches played into his added heft a lot better than WWE ever did, and I felt he was working as a big man far better in his more recent matches, to the point that I wouldn't be adverse to seeing him wrestle more often these days. In NXT, he was never big enough in comparison to his opponents to be able to throw his weight around convincingly as a bully. Someone similar, who I wish we could see wrestle more, is Steve Corino. He had a match against his son Colby a couple of years ago and looked the absolute business as a heavier, older, slightly knackered big man. We've been robbed out of a grumpy veteran indie run from him for sure - I know he has a belt in PWF now, but I haven't seen the match he won it in to see if he's still that good. Quote
Chico Torres Posted March 18 Posted March 18 There is “good fat” eg monsters like Earthquake, Vader, Yoko, One Man Gang, Abdullah, Kamala etc and then there is “bad fat” eg Kevin Owens Quote
Chili Posted March 18 Posted March 18 15 minutes ago, Chico Torres said: There is “good fat” eg monsters like Earthquake, Vader, Yoko, One Man Gang, Abdullah, Kamala etc and then there is “bad fat” eg Kevin Owens How is Kevin Owens bad fat? Quote
davertfnewman Posted March 18 Posted March 18 Because he's overweight but not big enough to be massive. Quote
Tamura Posted March 18 Posted March 18 (edited) 8 hours ago, BomberPat said: In NXT, he was never big enough in comparison to his opponents to be able to throw his weight around convincingly as a bully. Even when he was considerably bigger, he was still having to bump for shoulder blocks from Adam Cole. Edited March 18 by Tamura Quote
FTR2020 Posted March 18 Posted March 18 Chris Hero at his heaviest was having bangers in PWG. Him and JT Dunn was a great short term tag team. Quote
RIDDUM_N_STYLE Posted March 18 Posted March 18 One for those of a certain vintage, 2 weeks before the 36th anniversary of this Match and the show itself Quote
The Gaffer Posted March 19 Posted March 19 (edited) Really hope the current live broadcast grab bag on the vault keeps going forever and ever, or at least always comes back once they're done live premiers of other events. It's the closest thing I've felt to having the The Wrestling Channel on a rolling loop all day in the background during summer holidays from school in 04 - 05. It's actually achieving that TV feeling of "I never would have put on an MNM match, but since it's here I'm checking it out." The swing between eras is totally off the wall and without knowing what comes next, it's a lovely thing to have on in the background during work. I know the library loss with the Network will never be recaptured for some, but in practical terms the vault's completely overtaken it for me now. Edited March 19 by The Gaffer Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted March 19 Author Paid Members Posted March 19 I stuck it on yesterday and it was the Steiners vs. Fire and Ice. I'm already a fan. Quote
Chico Torres Posted March 19 Posted March 19 When I went to the channel yesterday they were playing a babyface (not yet King) Mabel (with Oscar) vs Quebecer Pierre house show match which is clearly better than anything that’s happened this millennium so I’m obviously all in on this. Quote
Dai Posted March 19 Posted March 19 After the Rey/Taker/Matt Striker fiasco, I skimmed through it too for a while, and had a Sid WCW squash, a Steiners ECW match, and then a Goldust/HBK ladder match. Great stuff! Quote
Chili Posted March 22 Posted March 22 Pretty decent little CHV here, Marty and Shawn in a cage match, plus most of the matches are commentated by the extremely underrated team of Gorilla & Johnny Polo. They're a delight. Quote
Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz Posted March 22 Posted March 22 10 minutes ago, Chili said: Pretty decent little CHV here, Marty and Shawn in a cage match, plus most of the matches are commentated by the extremely underrated team of Gorilla & Johnny Polo. They're a delight. I am certain I had this video back in the day, I will be giving it a watch… I seem to remember Gorilla and Johnny Polo making reference to Shawn’s waistline in this Quote
Chili Posted March 22 Posted March 22 4 minutes ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said: I am certain I had this video back in the day, I will be giving it a watch… I seem to remember Gorilla and Johnny Polo making reference to Shawn’s waistline in this Yeah Raven calls him pudgy. He doesn't really give a toss in any of the matches and just seems to be trying to get Monsoon to corpse. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.