Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

 

Has to be up there as one of the worst videos theyve ever put out, surely (I assume it was released over here)? When you start off with an IRS/Luger match, you know youre in trouble. Not a main event talent in sight, so expecting people to pay for this seems crazy. The best thing to do is to skip through it and see the range of awful/depressing buildings they were running during this time. 

 

Also, around the 57 minute mark, the Allied Powers/Bam Bam/Tatanka match, is that the worst ever building they used for a TV taping? Its a high school gym, and two of the (non hard cam facing) sides have what looks like 3 rows of fans, and one can only imagine what the hard cam side was like. Would be curious to see any links to see any worse than this for a TV taping. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I watched that Mega Matches "tape" the other night. It's another compilation of the worst of Raw. It is a truly appalling effort. I'd have paid £15 for it in Woolies though. I can't lie.

Have we a WCW catch all thread before I post in here?

  • Paid Members
Posted

@SaitoRyo that’s right! Amazing really how little ring time Liger missed. 

As for that Mega Matches comp, I never had that tape as a kid and skimming through it, I really didn’t miss much. I could be wrong but from what I saw skimming through, there doesn’t seem to be any matches featuring the ‘Big 5’ at the time of Bret, Shawn, Undertaker, Diesel and Razor. Very odd to release a tape back then with none of your top five guys on it. Especially that year when the roster was as lean as it was. Strange choice.

Also, it’s a minor thing but my OCD can’t get on with that thumbnail. WCW Lex and heel Bulldog? For a video made up of matches from late 94/early 95? There wasn’t a pic of them as the Allied Powers that would’ve fit better? 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Discovered there's a Mega Matches '96 which is even lazier than 95 because it's just the Good Friends, Better Enemies IYH. What a baffling decision to release this rather than (or as well as) the IYH event in full.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

  • Paid Members
Posted

That wasn’t the only one. They also did it for the International Incident, Revenge Of The Taker, Beware Of Dog and Canadian Stampede tapes as well.

IMG-5060.jpg

Odd. I don’t remember seeing any of these in the UK. As far as I know we only got them in their proper In Your House covers. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I'd heard that they put out Winter Combat before which was an amalgam of IYH 4 & 5 I think. I always figured that was released that way because the shows were so shit that they couldn't be arsed trying to sell videos of them. Didn't realise they carried it on beyond that.

Edited by tiger_rick
  • Paid Members
Posted

Shit home videos from 1995 are another chance to drag up my favourite story about how Autumn that year was the absolute rock bottom for that company. At that time, the bulk of your pay was house show based (basically you got a payoff for each show from a scale that combined main event/midcard/low card and drew well/drew ok/drew poorly). You'd normally go on the road for just under three weeks (the tours between TV tapings) and when the tour was over you'd get a cheque sent to your house to cover the tour.

There was also a long-established system called "draws" where you could choose to get a small amount (usually $100-$200 a night) from the road agents to help you pay your road expenses like travel and hotels. They'd keep a record of this and then it was deducted from your payoff for the tour.

In October 1995, business was so shit that some guys went on the road for three weeks and came home. A couple of days later they got their payoff envelope in the post and opened it to discover that not only was there no cheque, but they now owed the company money.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Can remember watching this a lot when I first got into wrestling in 1998 when I was 4/5. Probably awful if I watched it now 

IMG_8048.jpeg

Posted
45 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Shit home videos from 1995 are another chance to drag up my favourite story about how Autumn that year was the absolute rock bottom for that company. At that time, the bulk of your pay was house show based (basically you got a payoff for each show from a scale that combined main event/midcard/low card and drew well/drew ok/drew poorly). You'd normally go on the road for just under three weeks (the tours between TV tapings) and when the tour was over you'd get a cheque sent to your house to cover the tour.

There was also a long-established system called "draws" where you could choose to get a small amount (usually $100-$200 a night) from the road agents to help you pay your road expenses like travel and hotels. They'd keep a record of this and then it was deducted from your payoff for the tour.

In October 1995, business was so shit that some guys went on the road for three weeks and came home. A couple of days later they got their payoff envelope in the post and opened it to discover that not only was there no cheque, but they now owed the company money.

Paul Bearer being one who did but kept going because he felt obligated to stay on the road with the Undertaker.

I imagine that's why Shane Douglas reported having made $1,500 in PowerSlam at the time.

You can see why guys like Kama, Bam Bam, Bundy and Bob Holly (temporarily) handed their notice in.

Posted

That's a great find. This match got both guys signed to a contract. Vic's only televised match would be a year later as Key, who was implied to be Droz and Prince Albert's drug dealer. 

Yeah, Shotgun running this far into 99 was news to me as well:

 

 

  • Paid Members
Posted
13 hours ago, Callum1993 said:

Can remember watching this a lot when I first got into wrestling in 1998 when I was 4/5. Probably awful if I watched it now 

IMG_8048.jpeg

I never saw this one because I owned literally every match on tape already due to having Sky for Raw and the death of Coliseum Exclusives, but I did notice from the ones I did buy, a really silly trend - as the tapes went on, the amount of the Year that they managed to Review gradually decreased, presumably in an effort to rush them through production and get them onto shelves. 1992 features matches from Survivor Series (even though the tape, largely in chronological order, wraps with Bret vs Bulldog). 1993 doesn’t bother with anything from the final PPV of the year but does present some happenings from that autumns TV including the Steiners/Quebecers title switch. By 1994/5 the Review is literally finishing up at SummerSlam. Imagine reviewing 1995 and not touching on Shawn’s concussion, return and collapse, Undertaker getting his face crushed, or Bret derailing Diesel and winning the belt for a third time which only Hogan had previously managed? Tell me a lie.

Posted

There's some real lore behind that Grimes/O'Grady dark match. From what I remember, it was the same night as the Tyson/Austin confrontation and basically people gave even less of a shit than usual about the dark match. So somebody (Cornette I think) told them to go out there and do whatever they wanted, which they certainly did. They were criticised for ignoring house rules and failing to work the hard came when they got backstage, but the effort they put in earned them both developmental deals. Fair play. 

I'm sure most of you have seen it already, but WWE uploaded an Austin mixtape yesterday as well. Some really great outtakes in there amongst matches from WCW, ECW and WWE. He really was something special, wasn't he? 

 

Posted

There's no way I'm going to pretend that Desire video doesn't sum up my greatest time as a wrestling fan. We all know the right lines to say to be cynical and shit tainted glasses about it, but at the time as a kid it was absolutely incredible. A two year run of about ten years worth of highlight reel moments where the show was at turns theatrical, low-rent, humorous, emotional and - crucially - cool.

Still think this video caption on today's Kane & X-Pac timeline upload is a better recap, though:

spacer.png

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...