BarryOVega Posted February 15 Posted February 15 Is it King of the Ring 98 where he tries doing a springboard drop kick off a chair but slips and boots someone in the arse? I remember it being a laughably bad match anyway Only other thing I remember about his WWF run is Todd Pettingill sounding creepy as fuck introducing the Funkette’s at the Slammy’s Quote
Chili Posted February 15 Posted February 15 (edited) 7 hours ago, BarryOVega said: Is it King of the Ring 98 where he tries doing a springboard drop kick off a chair but slips and boots someone in the arse? I remember it being a laughably bad match anyway Only other thing I remember about his WWF run is Todd Pettingill sounding creepy as fuck introducing the Funkette’s at the Slammy’s Breakdown: In Your House (Sept 98). Yeah he fell right on his fookin arse (thanks Davey) and gives Brian Christopher a toey right up the rear. A very funny botch. Edited February 15 by Chili Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted February 16 Paid Members Posted February 16 4 hours ago, Ralphy said: something i always love about watching Flairs brief run in WWE, this is another great gem, i love Sid too Funny bit on this when Mooney starts calling out Al Hayes on his bullshit contrarian act on comms. I think it's during the Bulldog's 6-man when Al is arguing the sky is green. Bret Hart teaming with the Natural Disasters is a sight. Quote
davertfnewman Posted February 16 Posted February 16 Sean Mooney turned out to be an excellent deadpan announcer after a bit of a rough start. In fairness, Craig DeGeorge made a massive improvement too, but he came from far worse and never got as good as Mooney did. Mooney was far better than the people that followed him like Todd and Cole because he worked out when to keep it level and when to turn it up. Quote
Chili Posted February 16 Posted February 16 2 minutes ago, davertfnewman said: Sean Mooney turned out to be an excellent deadpan announcer after a bit of a rough start. In fairness, Craig DeGeorge made a massive improvement too, but he came from far worse and never got as good as Mooney did. Mooney was far better than the people that followed him like Todd and Cole because he worked out when to keep it level and when to turn it up. Todd Pettengill was a completely different cat to Craig, Mooney, Cole. He's the outlier in that he's hired in that period where it's trying to be different so they hire a guy who was specifically skilled in morning talk radio comedy, the others all came from local newscaster backgrounds. Mooney is pretty good though eventually. Somewhere around 1990 it kind of clocks for him and he's a completely enjoyable and serviceable second tier announcer, and he's alright on the home videos too. Todd is someone I'm delighted got a bit of reanalysis over the years. I liked him as a kid and watching him back when you're older you see what he was hired for. He also to his credit never dogs it, and tries to make any old shit work. That intro where he sings a load of reworked songs at The Slammys is such a mid 90's WWF encapsulated, but also genuinely entertaining. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted February 21 Paid Members Posted February 21 (edited) Behind the scenes of the White Castle Of Fear video! What a load of bollocks this whole vignette was, pure Wrestlecrap, but I love this video. Seeing glimpses of Harley Race and Vader talking in their ‘normal voices’ between takes (well, Harley’s voice is Harley’s voice) and the sight of Ole Anderson wiping Vader’s tits down with paper towels while he takes the piss out of Vader’s shadowboxing is gold. Also, Harley’s - “WHAT ARE YOU, DENSE?” killed me off. They need to upload the incredible strap match this was building to now though, to balance out the shite to good ratio. Edited February 21 by wandshogun09 Quote
TibBo Posted February 21 Posted February 21 On 2/16/2026 at 10:11 AM, Chili said: Todd Pettengill was a completely different cat to Craig, Mooney, Cole. He's the outlier in that he's hired in that period where it's trying to be different so they hire a guy who was specifically skilled in morning talk radio comedy, the others all came from local newscaster backgrounds. I’m sure I heard somewhere that Cole worked on Todd’s radio show? When Pettengill couldn’t be arsed anymore, he recommended Cole to take over for him Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted February 21 Posted February 21 (edited) 24 minutes ago, TibBo said: I’m sure I heard somewhere that Cole worked on Todd’s radio show? When Pettengill couldn’t be arsed anymore, he recommended Cole to take over for him I’ve definitely heard that Todd recommended Cole, but they don’t appear to have worked together. They both worked for New York based radio organisations, Cole having worked for CBS Radio while Todd worked first at WFLY (based in Albany) and later at WPLJ. As of Todd not being arsed anymore, he already had his own production company prior to working for the WWF. If I had the chance to go back to that rather than being shouted at by Vince I’d have sodded off Edited February 21 by WyattSheepMask Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted February 21 Author Paid Members Posted February 21 Pettengill was great on that Best of In Your House DVD. His style of presenting has suited WWE at various points in its history, I always quite liked him. Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted February 22 Paid Members Posted February 22 Pettengill had a habit of saying WWF in every sentence. Quote
The Gaffer Posted February 22 Posted February 22 I'm not the only person in the Pettengill fan club? He could be hammy at times but it was never anything approaching those dreaded Dox Hendrix levels and it always suited the New Gen era quite well, I thought. I used to love him goofing around the arena in the countdown shows they'd include on most of the Silvervision tapes. Those shows would always have him run you through what got us to the point of a particular match happening on the card, and I used them to piece the backstory of 90s WWF together when I got into buying tapes. He also seemed like one of those rare outside personalities where you could sense he was genuinely having fun but wasn't a wrestling guy, which was nice then and is increasingly refreshing in retrospect given wrestling guys almost always turn out to be massive weirdos. He also invented going SUUUperstar. Tony Chimel stole it from him! Quote
davertfnewman Posted February 22 Posted February 22 At least some of his wrestling stuff is better than some of the radio stuff I've heard. Quote
Chili Posted February 22 Posted February 22 (edited) Well, regarding radio, unrelated to wrestling but another reason Todd is a GBOL (and I only found this out a few years ago) was he was on the air on 9/11 doing his morning show in NYC, and was then broadcasting for 11 more hours assisting with information for listeners and speaking with members of the public who were witnesses and doing their best to reassure them on probably the worst day of their lives. The whole show was preserved by the Paley Center. So yeah, he's alright is Todd. Edited February 22 by Chili Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted February 22 Paid Members Posted February 22 Here’s what you want. Skip to around 23:28… You’re welcome. Quote
CTXRussomark Posted February 22 Posted February 22 In the early years of being online I remember being quite surprised at the negative sentiment towards Pettengill. As a kid I always thought he was great - super enthusiastic but at the same time never felt inauthentic. I actually wish he'd stuck around a bit longer into the Attitude Era just to see how he would have evolved. Goatee-era Todd seemed like he'd have been up for anything. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.