AshC Posted February 11 Posted February 11 (edited) Trying not to spam this thread too much, but they uploaded the 2nd Battle of the Superstars over the weekend, a tape that never made it to the old WWE Network. I'd never seen it back in the day either. Anyway, the opener, Roddy Piper vs Mr. Perfect for the Intercontinental title, is now one of my favourite Piper matches! It's well good! Edited February 11 by AshC Quote
The Gaffer Posted February 13 Posted February 13 Rewatching the second to last Thunder on WCW Vault, Disco Inferno becoming a Manchester United supporter and having an eleventh hour name change like this was definitely news to me: Quote
SaitoRyo Posted February 13 Posted February 13 On 2/11/2026 at 2:13 AM, AshC said: Trying not to spam this thread too much, but they uploaded the 2nd Battle of the Superstars over the weekend, a tape that never made it to the old WWE Network. I'd never seen it back in the day either. Anyway, the opener, Roddy Piper vs Mr. Perfect for the Intercontinental title, is now one of my favourite Piper matches! It's well good! The Perfect/Piper match that kicks this off is great and so much fun. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted February 13 Paid Members Posted February 13 Compilation of Sting in WCW the first few months of 1992… All sorts of goodness in there. There’s the obvious stuff like the Luger match at Superbrawl but it’s mostly TV matches which include a bunch of really fun multi-man matches, tags, six mans and eight mans, an early singles match against Vader that must’ve been one of their first televised matches against each other (if not the first) and it ends with the brilliant Sting’s Squadron vs Dangerous Alliance War Games match. The fact it’s listed as ‘Part 1’ makes me hopeful they’ll just keep going with more instalments for the rest of the Stinger’s 92. I wouldn’t be mad if they carried it on into 93/94. Quote
Chico Torres Posted February 13 Posted February 13 This is probably the absolute peak of wrestling tv, what an amazing time. Was quickly browsing and the 15-16 min mark has my all time favourite spots between Steamboat and Rude where Rude does both the skipping sell as well as the atomic drop constipation walk. Also the 8 man at the 1 hour mark is what I consider to be the best tv match ever. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted February 14 Paid Members Posted February 14 (edited) I’ll never forget how blown away I was the first time I saw 2 Cold Scorpio hit the 450. I don’t even think it was this one from his WCW debut, it would’ve been shortly after in a squash on Worldwide or something. But as a 7 year old who had only been watching wrestling less than a year and only WCW or WWF, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. The type of unrealistic move you’d do with your figures that definitely wasn’t possible in real life and you were now actually seeing it in real life on your screen. Nobody did it better either for me. Only one who comes close is Hayabusa but even then I think Scorpio pips it. He also gets extra points for doing it as a heavier man. You forget because of how incredibly he flies but he’s not your typical Cruiserweight in the 90s. And whenever he hit a 450 or moonsault, it was perfect every time. The tumbleweed, not so much. Like the time he landed arse first on Benoit’s face at Slamboree 93. Exhibit #859 of why Benoit’s brain was like chocolate mousse by 2007 right there. I’ve skimmed through the comp they put up just to see what they included, definitely gonna be giving it a proper watch when I get chance. It says it all that they were able to put together such a strong collection of his WCW stuff when they had to omit what was probably his best match there with Benoit at Superbrawl. Love that they included the tag title win with Bagwell, I always thought that team was better than you’d think on paper. The ECW matches I’ve seen before but they were pretty good from what I remember. Although him taking a powerbomb on the piss soaked concrete at the ECW Arena in the Shane Douglas match makes me feel nauseous. Crying shame that they did so little with him in the WWF that the only thing they could include from that run was the Leif Cassidy match from a few weeks after his debut. Guess they could’ve thrown a match with Owen in there but, aside from that, they really didn’t bother doing much with him at all in that couple of years he was there, did they? Edited February 14 by wandshogun09 EEEEVERYBODY HERE COMES 2 COLD SCORPIOOOO! Quote
Chili Posted February 14 Posted February 14 (edited) Nah @wandshogun09they did fuck all. I hadn't even seen 2 Cold Scorpio before Flash Funk and he was absolutely one of my boys in 1997. I'd be dead happy if he popped up on Shotgun given how he was hardly on Raw at the time. Even as Funk he did some moves that just made me a mark for him and wanted better for him. I remember seeing him redebut under the Scorpio name on Raw teaming with Terry Funk thinking they'd finally try, but nah. Incredible ariel wrestler. I think what makes his look better is he hits it like a video game, it's picture perfect, and this is difficult to explain, but his 450 has a weird hang time, where he almost moves slowly, an example of a different one is Juvi, his feels fast and actually makes sense, Scorpio being a bigger guy, the splash has more oomph to it. He also could still work a fair pick even up to a few years back. AEW should have absolutely brought him in for a one shot on an episode of Dark or something when they had a few nostalgia names popping up occasionally like Crowbar etc. Brilliant to watch, made Marcus Alexander Bagwell look more dorky white guy than he already was doing that dance though, bless him. A minor hidden gem, but he and his mate Vader have a fun little TV match in the holy year of '97. Probably down to Leon being a pal and giving him a bit of shine. Fun way to spend a few minutes. Edited February 14 by Chili Quote
Dai Posted February 14 Posted February 14 For the last 20 years, whenever there was an ECW reunion show, I think every one would have the same review; Everyone looks shite, but Scorpio can still go. He was in NOAH for years, back when it was at its peak, but have no recollection of anything he did there. Considering he was still in his mid to late 30s, I assume he was just gojng through the motions at this point. Wikipedia says he actually signed back with the WWE in 2006, which seems crazy and I can't remember that. Never made it back to TV though before being released. Quote
Paid Members Your Fight Site Posted February 14 Paid Members Posted February 14 My lord. How did that not kill Benoit?! Literally bounces off of his cranium. Quote
davertfnewman Posted February 14 Posted February 14 Rick Rude did similar to Jim Powers in 1990. So many things wrong with it. Trying a new move out, guy taking it at the wrong angle, doing it with the wrong leg. You see Powers react and Rude having to safely finish him off. Quote
The Dart Posted February 14 Posted February 14 (edited) 3 hours ago, Dai said: Wikipedia says he actually signed back with the WWE in 2006, which seems crazy and I can't remember that. Never made it back to TV though before being released. He did some dark matches, but he was never signed with the intent for him to be back on TV. He was signed, along with Rodney Mack, Marty Jannetty, Henry Godwinn and Gangrel to work in DSW and work with the younger wrestlers. Funnily enough though he was on TV, just a few weeks after he was released - in the gimmick battle royal on the 15th anniversary of Raw. Edited February 14 by The Dart Quote
Chili Posted February 14 Posted February 14 (edited) 1 hour ago, davertfnewman said: Rick Rude did similar to Jim Powers in 1990. So many things wrong with it. Trying a new move out, guy taking it at the wrong angle, doing it with the wrong leg. You see Powers react and Rude having to safely finish him off. Always liked catching Rude saying 'I'm sorry' as he pins Powers. Edited February 14 by Chili Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted February 14 Paid Members Posted February 14 1 hour ago, The Dart said: He was signed, along with Rodney Mack, Marty Jannety, Henry Godwinn and Gangrel And now I'm going to have to create this stable on one of the old WWE games and run roughshod over the promotion. Fuck me that's an odd list! Quote
AshC Posted February 14 Posted February 14 There was a Flash Funk vs Shawn Michaels match scheduled for a Raw in the final quarter of 1997. Would have loved to have seen that (Kane kiboshed it). Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.