Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, mim731 said:

Doesn't Flair turn at Uncensored? I seem to remember the double turn with him and Hogan in the cage being a complete shitshow. Is it Superbrawl where David Flair under a balaclava costs him the match, because understandably he thinks it'll help him woo (pun intended) Torrie Wilson? It definitely feels like they were still holding on at Souled Out, I haven't watched it in years, but I seem to remember from when I was a kid that the Tazer/ladder match with Hall and Goldberg was pretty good.  

Yes, Uncensored was the Flair turn, not Superbrawl. Thank you.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Let’s not forget that lil Naitch is a screwy ref for Flair and refuses to call for the bell in a first blood match when Flair bleeds first, though for reasons unknown doesn’t either when Hogan also bleeds even though he could have ruled Flair the winner there instead of hoping for chance to do a fast count for him.

Posted

This is decent. 

I always felt like Punk and Ryback had good matches together, to be honest, but this is one of their better efforts. It's quite funny looking back at it now, but I was all-in on The Big Guy around that time. Punk has obviously spoken at length about how much he hated working with Ryback, but something about their series clicked, for me. Punk did a good job making him look like he belonged. 

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'm torn on Ryback because I wish they had had him win all his big matches and got behind him properly. But also if his career was a massive success we would have never got that video of him clotheslining an overweight middle aged woman into his swimming pool. So swings and roundabouts, I suppose. I love the big idiot. Few things more ridiculous than a big bald muscle bound freak expelling the virtues of a self help book live on TV and how it helped him win the Intercontinental Championship.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Ryback being a proponent of The Secret is always the first thing I associate with him as I was there live for that promo, utterly bonkers. (Slightly less historically important, that show also included Sting's only two matches on Raw ever).

The second thing I think of is the weird way CM Punk pronounced Brad Maddox's (Mah-DAHWKS) name in the aftermath of him screwing Ryback as the fake ref at HIAC.

Edited by Statto
Ryback, not repack.
Posted

With the Royal Rumble coming up soon, does anyone know if these were ever professionally recorded and might ever see the light of day? I think we would have probably already seen them if they were, but here's hoping! 

Copied and pasted from Wikipedia... 

The very first Royal Rumble match took place at a house show in St. Louis, Missouri on October 4, 1987, where the One Man Gang won a 12-Man Royal Rumble, last eliminating the Junkyard Dog, to earn a WWF World Heavyweight Championship match against Hulk Hogan at the following month's St. Louis house show.

A 22-man Royal Rumble match took place at a house show in East Rutherford, New Jersey on March 14, 1988 where Jake Roberts was the winner.

A 22-man Royal Rumble match took place at a house show in Hartford, Connecticut on March 16, 1988, where Ravishing Rick Rude was the winner.

A 30-man Royal Rumble on January 17, 1994, at Madison Square Garden was won by Owen Hart, last eliminating Fatu.

An 18-man Royal Rumble match took place on May 9, 1994, in Osaka, Japan and was won by The Undertaker, last eliminating Bam Bam Bigelow.

Posted
36 minutes ago, kev2050 said:

With the Royal Rumble coming up soon, does anyone know if these were ever professionally recorded and might ever see the light of day? I think we would have probably already seen them if they were, but here's hoping! 

Copied and pasted from Wikipedia... 

The very first Royal Rumble match took place at a house show in St. Louis, Missouri on October 4, 1987, where the One Man Gang won a 12-Man Royal Rumble, last eliminating the Junkyard Dog, to earn a WWF World Heavyweight Championship match against Hulk Hogan at the following month's St. Louis house show.

A 22-man Royal Rumble match took place at a house show in East Rutherford, New Jersey on March 14, 1988 where Jake Roberts was the winner.

A 22-man Royal Rumble match took place at a house show in Hartford, Connecticut on March 16, 1988, where Ravishing Rick Rude was the winner.

A 30-man Royal Rumble on January 17, 1994, at Madison Square Garden was won by Owen Hart, last eliminating Fatu.

An 18-man Royal Rumble match took place on May 9, 1994, in Osaka, Japan and was won by The Undertaker, last eliminating Bam Bam Bigelow.

Don't think any were professionally recorded but the two from 1994 were by fancams.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Two hour Mike Awesome compilation has gone up today.

Had a skim through and, as you’d expect, it’s almost all matches featuring Masato Tanaka. Other ones are his ECW matches against Spike Dudley, New Jack and 2 Cold Scorpio, and his WCW match against Bam Bam Bigelow at Starrcade.

You kind of have to include some Tanaka stuff if you’re doing a Mike Awesome comp but I’d have liked to have seen a bit more variety in this one myself. There’s got to be some more fun and lesser seen TV matches and fancam stuff they could’ve thrown in. I’ve never seen the Scorpio match so I’ll be giving that a look but apart from that, it’s matches we’ve all probably seen countless times. Oh well.

I do love that match with Spike from Guilty As Charged 2000 though. Pretty much an extended squash match, which is kind of odd as a PPV main event, but stupidly entertaining to watch Awesome launch him all over the place. I’ve said it before though, for all the table spots, chair shots, nasty bumps and stiff clotheslines in that match, this for me is easily the most brutal bit of the match…

bhXxR.gif

Big Mike obviously underestimated the amount of beer, sweat, piss and god knows what other fluids (bodily or otherwise) that concrete was slick with. Horrible landing. 

Edited by wandshogun09
  • Paid Members
Posted

Me again. Just seen this over on the WCW channel. A really enjoyable six man tag from Saturday Night in January 93. Barry Windham, Steve Austin and Brian Pillman vs 2 Cold Scorpio, Brad Armstrong and Johnny B Badd.

Only about 10 minutes long as well. I know early 90s WCW gets some criticism at times but the TV around that time was full of stuff like this. So much talent on that roster back then that you could just throw almost any combination out there in tags or six mans and you’d get something really fun out of it. Even the revolving door of bookers back then couldn’t go wrong with that bit of the shows. ‘We need a 12 minute segment…ahh, just throw any of Steamboat, Windham, Austin, Rude, Rhodes, Anderson, Eaton, Armstrong, Scorpio, Pillman, the Steiners, Williams and Gordy etc etc out there.’ 

Always weird seeing Austin wrestling with no knee pads back then though, considering he ended up with big fuck off braces on both knees just a few years after this. Bet he regrets that now.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Yeah you definitely don’t have to convince me, WCW from about 89-97 might just be my favourite wrestling ever. The criticism I’m talking about isn’t of the actual in ring stuff, more the other shit that always gets brought up like the Black Scorpion bollocks, the Bill Watts silliness of banning top rope moves and him being a bellend behind the scenes and the Wrestlecrap stuff of that era like the Kongs, the Cole Twins, Charlie Norris and so on. And just the general ‘it was dimly lit with poor production and losing money…and then Bischoff came along…’ stuff that’s been repeated for years on end. But even that, it might be just be nostalgia talking because my first glimpse of wrestling was WCW on ITV in 1992, but I actually have a real fondness for WCW looking like this…

IMG-8321.jpg

IMG-8322.jpg

It’s kind of like the criticism the New Generation era in the WWF gets for me. Sure there was some absolute dross knocking about on the roster in 93-95 or whenever and, like early 90s WCW, business wasn’t exactly booming. But I love that period too, although that might be childhood nostalgia again. I think both these periods though - early 90s WCW and New Gen WWF - are sometimes looked back on more harshly because they came just before more successful periods when wrestling got hot again. Whenever the story of the birth of Nitro comes up and how they ‘kicked WWF’s ass for 83 weeks’, it usually starts with clips of 92/93 WCW and talking heads going ‘WCW was in the toilet, we had to get away from that product’. Just like the story of WWF’s resurgence in 97/98 kicking off the Attitude era usually starts with footage of Doink, Bastion Booger and Mantaur as if to say ‘look how shit we were before the glass shattered and Austin started saying “ass” a lot’.

I’ve rambled but you get my drift. 

Posted (edited)

The booking at the top of the card was usually excellent in the New Gen if you can get by who it was that was actually being booked. Someone giving the champ a shove was plugged as a massive bit of controversy, and title changes felt huge. 

Edited by The Gaffer

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...