Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted December 16, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 16, 2025 (edited) Joey Styles is the founding member of the 'knows the names of moves but is actually really really shit at calling wrestling' of which both Matt Striker and Mauro Ranallo are paid-up members. Probably very much alone in this but, while he's not as bad as the above three, the RiccaboneZone flirts dangerously close to it at times. It's weird with Riccaboni as every now and again he's really good. It could be that his commentary just doesn't lend itself to the current ROH product of mashing together 3 weeks worth of pre-show matches, as he's often much better when he's on AEW. Edited December 16, 2025 by Lorne Malvo Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted December 16, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 16, 2025 WCW Vault question. Does anyone know if someone has created a playlist or feed for the Nitro episodes on YouTube? They're all over the place in terms of uploads and it's hard to see the dates on them. I might do it myself but want to avoid it! Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted December 16, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 16, 2025 16 minutes ago, BomberPat said: every wrestler had a dozen signature moves, all with gimmick names, which is great if you're playing Create-A-Wrestler on a video game, but pretty meaningless otherwise. You were thinking about Danny Doring when you wrote this. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted December 16, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 16, 2025 I absolutely was, yes. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted December 16, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 16, 2025 Absolutely one of my least favourite tropes of modern wrestling. Most WWE and AEW commentators are a nightmare for it to. Bloke does a DDT. "He calls that the total whopper head bomb". We don't care. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted December 16, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 16, 2025 20 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: "He calls that the total whopper head bomb". You definitely were thinking about Danny Doring when you wrote this. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted December 16, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 16, 2025 On the other hand, having interesting/funny names for moves adds a nice bit of colour and depth. It can be overdone, but I think of Zach Sabre Jr having a load of silly names for his moves and I think it's a net positive. They're genuinely quite funny and so what if it winds up Johnny Furrowbrow watching in the dark at home. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted December 16, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 16, 2025 58 minutes ago, gmoney said: On the other hand, having interesting/funny names for moves adds a nice bit of colour and depth. It can be overdone, but I think of Zach Sabre Jr having a load of silly names for his moves and I think it's a net positive. They're genuinely quite funny and so what if it winds up Johnny Furrowbrow watching in the dark at home. Don't think anyone would want to take away from finishers or unique moves having names that add some interest. Having different names for a load of bog standard moves that make the commentary word soup is pretty naff and adds nothing. Some of that is also the commentary style, feeling the need to name every move rather than tell the story. There's obviously Vinny Mac at one end of that scale, calling everything a manoeuvrer, and Joey Styles at the other end screaming moves at pitches only dogs can hear. The best are somewhere in the middle. JR is probably the master of treading that fine line. No-one now is in that league. Quote
Paid Members waters44 Posted December 16, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 16, 2025 2 hours ago, tiger_rick said: WCW Vault question. Does anyone know if someone has created a playlist or feed for the Nitro episodes on YouTube? They're all over the place in terms of uploads and it's hard to see the dates on them. I might do it myself but want to avoid it! If you’re talking about the Nitro episodes uploaded by the WCW channel then yep they have a playlist and it looks to be in date order. I think they’re actually uploading them in order, but with massive gaps between some of them If you’re looking for one which includes episodes uploaded by other accounts I can’t help unfortunately! Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted December 16, 2025 Paid Members Posted December 16, 2025 48 minutes ago, waters44 said: If you’re talking about the Nitro episodes uploaded by the WCW channel then yep they have a playlist and it looks to be in date order. I think they’re actually uploading them in order, but with massive gaps between some of them If you’re looking for one which includes episodes uploaded by other accounts I can’t help unfortunately! Cheers. They don't go up in order but their playlist is in order, just most recent first. I'll live with that. There aren't actually that many episodes uploaded. I thought there were more. Quote
Gooner Posted December 16, 2025 Posted December 16, 2025 The WWE Vault has a new Sid in ECW! Watch EVERY extreme moment put up today. It's only 46:03 long, I had barely ever seen any of Sid's run in ECW, so watching this was a lot of fun. We'll worth a watch. Quote
davertfnewman Posted December 16, 2025 Posted December 16, 2025 I'll throw in a guy who was as bad as Joey Styles was in ECW - lead commentator and babyface authority figure Jim Cornette in OVW. Again, needless names for moves, totally over the top, never a period where something was in cruise control. As great a heel manager he was he was one of the worst announcers ever. Quote
Chili Posted December 16, 2025 Posted December 16, 2025 1 hour ago, davertfnewman said: I'll throw in a guy who was as bad as Joey Styles was in ECW - lead commentator and babyface authority figure Jim Cornette in OVW. Again, needless names for moves, totally over the top, never a period where something was in cruise control. As great a heel manager he was he was one of the worst announcers ever. I've actually never heard his OVW work but he was absolutely brilliant everywhere else when he was on comms (back when obvs, not when he was getting sacked for being a saying gormless racism) Quote
davertfnewman Posted December 16, 2025 Posted December 16, 2025 He was a passable but trying too hard heel announcer most places he managed before, but as a babyface lead announcer... awful. Quote
Snitsky's back acne Posted December 16, 2025 Posted December 16, 2025 6 hours ago, Gooner said: The WWE Vault has a new Sid in ECW! Watch EVERY extreme moment put up today. It's only 46:03 long, I had barely ever seen any of Sid's run in ECW, so watching this was a lot of fun. We'll worth a watch. Ive just watch this and I know it has been said many times before but, fuck, Sid was a fucking superstar wasnt he? He absolutely pissed charisma. I honestly cannot think of many wrestlers that just had 'It" when it came to presence like Sid did. Who gives a shit if he can't do an armdrag I just want to see him powerbomb and chokeslam people like he did in ECW. If ever there was a wrestling cool wall Sid would be in the mini freezer section next to it. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.