RIP Virgil

The Reverend

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FLips said:

That's proper cracked me up. I feel a bit bad about how much I laughed at it.

My mate sent me a version of that with a coffin there instead. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I don't believe I ever saw Virgil win any matches with that. I think I saw him win one with a crucifix pin, but wouldn't swear to it. Most of the time, he was jobbing.

If you owned enough Silver Vision tapes you got to see him beat Hercules with it one of Alfred Hays’ “Call Of The Action” spots. The truth is the bold part, not that it wasn’t what he used to win, but you haven’t seen him win many matches from that period.

Here’s a squash from the way to Rumble 92. He sets up with the Russian leg sweep which would take over for him using to pin jobbers after they’d put his run with Ted to bed for good, presumably because they wanted to move on from “used to be DiBiase’s gopher” and see if he could stay over without that story. He didn’t.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Loved his IWGP Title run. Back when that title actually meant something...

spacer.png

Fond memories of Muta “joining the nWo” alongside Chono, even though people into New Japan (who I assumed the angle was for) will have already been aware he’d been a member over there for nearly two months already. Making Sonny Onoo like a total buffoon for bringing Muta in as Chono’s “worst nightmare.” Sonny was pretty solidly in the heel camp too having just betrayed Ultimo Dragon causing him to lose the TV title to Billy Regal, so it was stretching the “cheer anyone against the nWo” idea a bit, but after making him look so dumb, is it any wonder the fans cheered for the order that night on Nitro for the beating they probably thought he deserved? LOL WCW.

Oh, and Vincent sometimes came out with the nWo B team.

Edited by air_raid
Typo

6 hours ago, air_raid said:

Here’s a squash from the way to Rumble 92. He sets up with the Russian leg sweep which would take over for him using to pin jobbers after they’d put his run with Ted to bed for good, presumably because they wanted to move on from “used to be DiBiase’s gopher” and see if he could stay over without that story. He didn’t.

Enjoyable little squash match that. I wish AEW Rampage was produced in the same format as WWF Superstars/Wrestling Challenge!

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

As A Wembley Summerslam attendee, my memory says the crowd were not indifferent to his match and recognised a genuine talent.

Or, they went crackers for everyone. The Bushwhackers were over like Rover at Wembley too.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, air_raid said:

If you owned enough Silver Vision tapes you got to see him beat Hercules with it one of Alfred Hays’ “Call Of The Action” spots. The truth is the bold part, not that it wasn’t what he used to win, but you haven’t seen him win many matches from that period.

I can see why he didn't stay over, sadly. Not that I'm some great wrestling psychologist, but there were some pretty glaring gaps - he never "showed out" or looked to the crowd at any point, stopped bashing the guy into the turnbuckle when the crowd were audibly counting at six instead of listening to them and going on till ten (could've sworn I could hear some "oh..." when he stopped), and he pretty much rushed through the whole thing. Not leaving enough gaps between the bigger moves to let the action "breathe", etc.

A shame, because in terms of actual technics and athleticism, he was decent. 

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

A shame, because in terms of actual technics and athleticism, he was decent. 

Tell that to the aforementioned Al Hays. There’s one Coliseum match, I think it was the one with Shawn on WrestleFest 93, where Lord Alfred absolutely slates his dropkicks as “really quite poor” or something like that. People get a bee in their bonnet for Monsoon slagging off the wrestlers at times for what he saw as poor execution but Al did it too.