RIP Virgil

The Reverend

52 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

No idea this happened and it’s such a random as fuck match but trust Terry Funk to bring a completely different side out of Virgil.

NWC was a true money mark company, there's lots of gold to be found there with former WWF guys, fake Doinks and hardcore stuff from Cactus and Sabu. They even managed to get Ultimate Warrior to recreate the match with Honky.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

NWC was a true money mark company, there's lots of gold to be found there with former WWF guys, fake Doinks and hardcore stuff from Cactus and Sabu. They even managed to get Ultimate Warrior to recreate the match with Honky.

It’s funny but having read this I wondered if I was mis-remembering a Marty Jannetty vs Anvil match as having been ECW when actually it was NWC, so I looked it up. Turns out I wasn’t, but old Who did indeed grace the Silver Nugget including one show losing to Hacksaw by count out - on last, no less - which I’m sure was unforgettable for those in attendance. Coming immediately after Junkyard Dog beating Mr Hughes by DQ, which sounds like the worst match of all time.

13 hours ago, air_raid said:

Junkyard Dog beating Mr Hughes by DQ

That sounds AMAZING.  NWC sounds a lot like LAW from post WCW in terms of random and cross-promotional matchups.

That clip of Funk v Virgil is 100% Funk though, selling like HBK going against Hogan.  

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Loki said:

That sounds AMAZING.  NWC sounds a lot like LAW from post WCW in terms of random and cross-promotional matchups.

And in a similar vein, people who ended up making it, before they made it. Like Rob Van Dam.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

On topic and NWC related, I need to see this match so badly.

spacer.png

13 minutes of Mr Hughes. Imagine that.

So it’s since been revealed by his management that Virgil was actually 11 years older than he was billed as!

Everyone (himself included) had always stated he was born June 1962 but it turns out he was born April 1951, meaning he was 40 when he won the Million Dollar Title. A true worker till the end.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Is it just my need for everything to be orderly or is 11 years a weird amount to lie about. 5 or 10 years, fair play if you can get away with it, but 11, he must be a psycho. 

Depending on when he made up the lie maybe it made a nice round number at the time.