RIP Virgil

The Reverend

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

May not have been too talented in real life, but I bet that he was top-end in more than just my figure fed. That Hasbro figure of his was out-fucking-standing. Probably one of the best sculpts. 

It really was. The likeness was one of the best of the whole Hasbro line for me. Made it as far as an IC title push in my fed, purely on the basis that it was just a figure I liked playing with moreso than who it was.

I’ve told this a few times on here but I saw (well missed) Virgil in action when I went to the WWF show at the NEC in Birmingham back in December 93. He was up against Adam Bomb that night and the poor prick must’ve got squashed double quick because my dad took me to get a drink and an ice cream and we heard Virgil’s music yet in the couple of minutes it took to get back to our seats, ol’ Virg was already rolling out under the bottom rope a beaten man. Missed the whole thing. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

May not have been too talented in real life, but I bet that he was top-end in more than just my figure fed. That Hasbro figure of his was out-fucking-standing. Probably one of the best sculpts. 

I mean, we all started somewhere, but I was a bit confused when my mate's collection at 6 strong was Nastys, LOD, Undertaker and then Virgil. That fucker took so many chokeslams off the top of the Ghostbusters HQ, you wouldn't believe.

Personally, my own fed consisted of every combination you could imagine between Anvil, Model, Papa Shango and "Hug" Hulkster until I took my birthday money to John Menzies.

Probably going to resurrect the thread shortly.

R.I.P Virgil, a very sad one to hear, his name is known throughout the wrestling community for mainly being alone at a table.

I understand that he was suffering towards the end at least he is out of that pain now and if there is an afterlife I'm sure he's holding the million dollar belt as we speak.

• Paid Members

I remember him getting squashed by Nailz at Summerslam 92, and by Yoko (literally) at Survivors that year. He was great in that Jericho hype video in AEW as well. It is a sad loss.

I saw Ole Anderson has passed away as well.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Great header on Sunday, though wasnt it?

He was way ahead of all of us on that curve.

EDIT: Mike Van Dijk would've been a killer comeback name, come to think of it.

Edited by seph

• Paid Members

Virgil standing up to Ted Debiase is one of those moments that just stands out from my childhood, along with the barbershop window, Randy Savage and the snake etc.

But whenever I see his name, I always think of my WWF hardback book I had as a kid that listed his trademark hold as “His own, modified version of the Million Dollar Dream” despite it being no different in any way whatsoever.

• Paid Members

I don't believe I ever saw Virgil win any matches with that. I think I saw him win one with a crucifix pin, but wouldn't swear to it. Most of the time, he was jobbing.

The moment he stands up for himself against DiBiase at Royal Rumble 1991 will always be absolutely fantastic, and for a very limited worker his facial expressions in that segment are bob on. I always really liked the Summerslam '91 match too. Unfortunately he has the handicap of being a supplementary character to a bigger act so he was always going to struggle once that angle ended.

Also kinda enjoyed him and the gofer/warm body hanger on for the nWo and his little AEW cameos brought a smile out of me. 

RIP Soul Train Jones / Virgil / Vincent / Shane / Curly Bill.

Don't try and sunset flip YAKAZUMA mate.